Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PUT NEW BATTERY IN BEFORE WINTER, BATTERY TENDER ON FOR WINTER, PULLED OUT FOR SPRING, RODE ABOUT 4 MILES AND PARKED, TOOK IT OUT A FEW DAYS LATER AND ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. RODE ABOUT FIVE MILES TO WORK AND SHUT DOWN NO POWER, WIGGLED THE GROUND WIRE TO BATTERY AND FOUND WAS NOT TIGHT ENOUGH. GOT TO WORK TIGHTENED TERMINALS AND RODE ABOUT A BLOCK. ANOTER SHUT DOWN NOW KEYED POWER, AFTER TURNING OFF THE KEY AND TURNING BACK ON, NO FUEL PUMP, FRONT LOW BEAM, NO BLINKERS, FOUND ENGINE FUSE BLOWN, REPLACED IGNITION SWITCH, KEEPS BLOWING FUSE, UNPLUGGED ALL SENSORS ONE AT A TIME AND SAME RESULT, UNPLUGGED PCM AND DID NOT BLOW FUSE, OF COURSE I HAVE UNPLUGGED EVERTHING WHEN DOING THIS, TRACED EVERY WIRE THAT I CAN SEE, WHAT ELSE CAN I CHECK?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Replace the battery (or at least have it tested).

put lock washers on your battery terminal bolts.

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
And please stop SHOUTING

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Really, though, to me this sounds like faulty ground.

Reactions: kaitiff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am an auto mechanic, battery has tested good, but when I key on power go hit the run button I blow fuse. obviously I have a short, but I have exhausted all my knowledge. I have replaced 40 amp breaker, and traced wires with a power probe short tracer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry for the shouting, am I looking for the main ground or a ground to ignition, bikes are not my deal but basically the same. possible two melted wires that I cant find. power probe blows breaker pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Possible a mouse made a meal of some of your wiring while it was in storage?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I think @BBob has links to most of the service manuals in his signature. Those have full wiring diagrams in them.

·
13,262 Posts
go buy multimeter if you don't have one. Auto stores and walmart sell them.
If you push the start button and blow a fuss open switch housing look for water and corrosion.
If you have power on one side of the 40 amp relay and push-button does power show up on the terminal. If not replace it
open headlight bucket and look for bad wires.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was thinking maybe checking under rear fender too... especially since it's a LOW model. I know a lot of guys had problems when they lowered their own bikes, since the wires to the rear are run on the bottom side of the fender. Just another place to look.. my wife has an 08 Vegas Low too.. but never had electrical issues like this. I don't care what kind of vehicle it is, electrical problems are flat out the WORST.

I had an 85 FXRT that wasted i can't tell you how many stators, rectifiers, lights.. left me sit so many times... After almost 80,000 miles (and way too many of them pushed) one savvy wrench in Florida knew what to look for and fixed it.. with a wire brush. 85 was the first year they had put the Evo in and some MORON had decided it was a great idea to paint the whole frame including the main ground for the bike. Never had another issue after that.. a flake or 2 of paint the size of my pinkie cost me years of aggravation and money. I don't know if you can tell but I'm STILL bitter about it. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking maybe checking under rear fender too... especially since it's a LOW model. I know a lot of guys had problems when they lowered their own bikes, since the wires to the rear are run on the bottom side of the fender. Just another place to look.. my wife has an 08 Vegas Low too.. but never had electrical issues like this. I don't care what kind of vehicle it is, electrical problems are flat out the WORST.

I had an 85 FXRT that wasted i can't tell you how many stators, rectifiers, lights.. left me sit so many times... After almost 80,000 miles (and way too many of them pushed) one savvy wrench in Florida knew what to look for and fixed it.. with a wire brush. 85 was the first year they had put the Evo in and some MORON had decided it was a great idea to paint the whole frame including the main ground for the bike. Never had another issue after that.. a flake or 2 of paint the size of my pinkie cost me years of aggravation and money. I don't know if you can tell but I'm STILL bitter about it. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey everyone. Thanks for all the the input. Finally after chasing wires, testing continuity. I got a hold of an ecu from a vision. Fired right up. Have a Vegas ecu on the way. Not sure what happened but hope this helps someone

1 - 18 of 18 Posts