Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all! I would appreciate any insight or tech help on determining which component may be faulty on the 08 Vision rear linked brake setup. Mine first started a year ago after the winter storage period.

The rear brake pedal went all the way to the floorboard with no rear brake. So I thought no problem, air got into the system and needs to be bled. So I got out the trusty service manual (on CD) and bled the system using the center of the three bleeder valves on the right front caliper. Worked great! Got brakes again :smile No problem the rest of the riding season. Rear brake held fine.

This Spring however the rear brake system will not pump up no matter how many attempts to bleed the system. By the way there is No brake fluid leaking anywhere in the system (I checked that first).
Has anyone else run into this problem on the '08 or '09 Vision? (they changed the system in '10).

There are the three major components to the rear linked brake system - rear master cylinder, valve brake delay and valve brake proportioning. The service manual doesn't give you any info on how to test the components, it just goes through the bleed procedure.

Without any signs of fluid leakage anywhere in the system I was leaning on failure of the pressure O ring inside the rear master cylinder piston, not allowing pressure to build and hold. I don't think that the three components can be disassembled and I have not seen any "rebuild kits" for those components. I would like to avoid having to buy all three of the system components because they are fairly pricey! :eek

Any help, insight or knowledge would be greatly appreciated! God Bless, Ride Safe and keep the shiny side up!

·
12,984 Posts
Don't know how your bleeding it. Turn bars to left. Get wrench for Center bleeder on right front caliper. Now pump rear pedal hold down and open center blender. Close bleeder let pedal up and repeat till you have pedal.
Now some say to put a weight on rear pedal over winter to prevent this.
Kevinx said its the little line that goes from master cylinder to papourshing valve. Call him to make sure (352) 215-3253

https://www.facebook.com/pg/kevinxsouthernmotorworx/about/?ref=page_internal

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Yer problem's not new (if that helps). Most people with this problem just bleed the brakes and the problem goes away. I've read, an air bubble's created (durin' the down time) 'n the best way to clear it is to bleed the right, front, caliper 1st.

I personally have never had this problem, as I have a '14 VV but, have read 'bout others who have.

Check:

https://www.thevog.net/threads/well-known-vision-brake-problem.142649/#post-2818265

https://www.thevog.net/threads/bleeding-brakes-successfully-finally.12945/

https://www.thevog.net/threads/total-rear-brake-failure-2010-vision.64892/#post-1101704

Read the posts completely. There's a lot of information that may pertain to yer problem. Some of the quotes sound 'xactly like what y'll have experienced. It seems like the solution's a rear brake line or master cylinder replacement in the long run.

I'd do the cheap fix 1st (of course)… G'Luck.

…oh yah, I've added speed bleeders 'n that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much Vision Johnny! I'll work on her again this weekend with the harbor freight vacumn tool and try to get decent pedal pressure. That did work before for me. Thanks for the links also. Ride Safe.

·
12,984 Posts
You don't need a pump. Just bleed the right front caliper. There should be NO air in the rear caliper

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
I read the problem is air going into the system, so no leaking of fluid getting out of the susyem ... @Motorbikerx had this problem, he had to replace 1 small hose and the problem was solved ... but finding the problem is not easy

Also @RICZ has this speedbleader link that makes bleeding more easy

I had to install a whole new front brake systeem, master cylinder , tubes , aluminium collector , 2 front calipers , and it was NOT easy to get the air out , also when i did my 4" feet extensions the rear brake just was difficult to get the air out ....

So i just flush the brakes every 1 year or so, coz after 2 years you need to do it anyways ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I read the problem is air going into the system, so no leaking of fluid getting out of the susyem ... @Motorbikerx had this problem, he had to replace 1 small hose and the problem was solved ... but finding the problem is not easy

Also @RICZ has this speedbleader link that makes bleeding more easy

I had to install a whole new front brake systeem, master cylinder , tubes , aluminium collector , 2 front calipers , and it was NOT easy to get the air out , also when i did my 4" feet extensions the rear brake just was difficult to get the air out ....

So i just flush the brakes every 1 year or so, coz after 2 years you need to do it anyways ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk
Yes my rear brake was sucking in air but not leaking fluid, air molecules are smaller than brake fluid molecules evidently...I replaced everything except the rear brake line and when it still made air I took the line to a hose place and got a braided line made up.
When I picked it up the guy said the brake light pressure switch wasnt very tight on the old line!!!
Thats where it was sucking in air!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi MotorbikerX,

Do you happen to remember what the brand and part # is for the brake speed bleeders? Been searching the web and the forums but have not found anything. Most of the vendors do not list anything for Victory (except the old original 92in. cruiser)

We do have Brembo brakes and I saw one of the manufacturers list the part # for Brembo's as SB1010S. I've tried Russell, Goodridge and Drag Specialties but none have a listing for Vic's that I could find.

Amazon has a whole bunch but you have to know the part # cause their model search engine is not to great - just lists a whole bunch of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Hi MotorbikerX,

Do you happen to remember what the brand and part # is for the brake speed bleeders? Been searching the web and the forums but have not found anything. Most of the vendors do not list anything for Victory (except the old original 92in. cruiser)

We do have Brembo brakes and I saw one of the manufacturers list the part # for Brembo's as SB1010S. I've tried Russell, Goodridge and Drag Specialties but none have a listing for Vic's that I could find.

Amazon has a whole bunch but you have to know the part # cause their model search engine is not to great - just lists a whole bunch of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob
Sorry Rob, I dont use Speedbleeders mate, with my brake mechanic background I personally prefer the slower one man gravity bleeding as on older stuff it dont take the master cylinder rubbers into unknown territoty.
Plenty on here do use them and as our bikes arent that old and have Nikasil lined cylinders theyre probably quite safe.
I was brought up suspending a rubber bleeder hose in brake fluid to pump the air through.
Can get messy if youre not careful though.
Brake fluid can strip paint
sorry I wasnt more help with Speedbleeders

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the response MotorBikerX, I really appreciate any insight into how to get this issue addressed and appreciate your input. I just purchased a used rear brake line off of ebay with both the delay and proportion valves included so I'm going to try and fit it up over the weekend.
Thanks for the input!
Be well, God Bless and Ride Safe!
Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts