Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried so many things, checked for leaks, battery cables exchanged throttle postion sensor, cleaned throttle body. The motorcycle dies after I put in gear after a few seconds. When I turn off and reset it will run forever while idle but after going into gear it dies. I also changed the plugs and voltage regulator. What else could it be the crankshaft sensor is all I can come up with. I un plugged it and the bike doesn't start but when its plugged in it starts. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
I think you answered your own question in the title of this thread. You might have enough fuel pressure to start and idle it but not enough to run it under load. Check the fuel pressure. Should be 49 or above I think.

What model and year Victory?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats weird is it builds a lot of pressure right away, i can see the hose expand and when I disconnect it, it shoots everywhere but then it seems something tells it to stop pumping and that happens when I put in gear for some reason.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
That's a safety feature so it doesn't keep pumping gas if the line breaks. Perhaps a wire or connection or sensor is not working right and telling the pump to stop pumping gas when you put it in gear.

Find the sensor for neutral and unplug it to see if it still does it.

Still looking for model and year. Still looking for fuel pressure reading.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
09 Kingpin (from the title)

Reactions: BBob

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
09 Kingpin (from the title)
You would think by now I would see something so obvious; but nope. I still look for that info in the body of the post.

Just programmed that way now I suppose.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have tried so many things, checked for leaks, battery cables exchanged throttle postion sensor, cleaned throttle body. The motorcycle dies after I put in gear after a few seconds. When I turn off and reset it will run forever while idle but after going into gear it dies. I also changed the plugs and voltage regulator. What else could it be the crankshaft sensor is all I can come up with. I un plugged it and the bike doesn't start but when its plugged in it starts. Any help would be great.
Sidestand safety switch related maybe? What happens if you put it in gear but keep the clutch pulled in?

Reactions: SportyDoug

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
Sidestand safety switch related maybe? What happens if you put it in gear but keep the clutch pulled in?
American Vic's don't have those just like they don't come with fork locks.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
American Vic's don't have those just like they don't come with fork locks.
Oh well, live and learn. While I don't really care about the sidestand switch, I have been glad of the admittedly low level of protection given by the steering lock a few times.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I could not find a side stand switch, but the 09 Kingpin parts page shows a clutch lever switch. That may be your problem. I would call a close Victory dealer, as It seems to me the side stand switch has been mandatory for many years. The parts page for my 15 Gunner shows one. I complained about them for many years, but (knock on wood) have never had one fail on me. All of a sudden I am sorry I typed that.

Good luck with the fix.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Happy that you got back on the road!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Problem solved!!! I replaced the fuel pump and fuel regulator that is in the gas tank and the bike runs like a charm again. I would have never thought that was the problem but it was.
Thanks for letting us know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts