Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all, I have a slight problem and am hoping someone can lead me in the right direction: My "Ironman" center HID light won't come on. I bought a new bulb for it, plugged it into the wire and still nothing. I voltmeter tested for power and got nothing, I checked the line going into the ballast and still got nothing, switch position didn't matter. I downloaded the 09 vision full manual from the forums(THX guys for that by the way) and have read through the schematics on the wiring but got lost. Suggestions going backwards in the troubleshooting from the bulb backwards(easier for me to follow the wires that way).

I am thinking maybe trying to get the switch up and testing the wires going into and out of the switch for power? Is this a common problem? THX in advance people....wac

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Good morning all, I have a slight problem and am hoping someone can lead me in the right direction: My "Ironman" center HID light won't come on. I bought a new bulb for it, plugged it into the wire and still nothing. I voltmeter tested for power and got nothing, I checked the line going into the ballast and still got nothing, switch position didn't matter. I downloaded the 09 vision full manual from the forums(THX guys for that by the way) and have read through the schematics on the wiring but got lost. Suggestions going backwards in the troubleshooting from the bulb backwards(easier for me to follow the wires that way).

I am thinking maybe trying to get the switch up and testing the wires going into and out of the switch for power? Is this a common problem? THX in advance people....wac
Ballast will cut out the power if a bulb is not attached to it, so you cannot measure current coming out of the ballast if a bulb is not connected.

Is this a stock HID? How did it go out? While riding, or when you turned it on it flashed and went out? Is it completely dead now? Is there any abnormal buzzing noise when you flip it on?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just bought the bike a week ago and the prior owner told me the switch was another way of turning on the high beam lights...but obviously he was wrong. I trailered the bike home to get plates and such and started reading the manual that came with it and it explained about the independant HID light and the switch, so I went out to play with it and realized that it wasn't coming on. I just assumed that the bulb went bad and ordered a new one @$50. Plugged it in, left it hanging while the bike was running and all other lights were on and got nothing. that's when I started following wires to the ballast and checked the wires going INTO the ballast from the main spider harness and found I am getting no power readings at all. Oh, and I broke the new bulb trying to get it back out of the light assy because I thought that maybe I had to have it in place for grounding or something. Now I have the old bulb that I managed to finally get out from that bracket, I lost one of the small screws that was holding it in (dropped somewhere inside and can't seem to find it), and no power getting to the ballast.

I was actually seriously considering getting the HID kit from you because I read that I just have to twist in the new bulb vs trying to align that band bracket with those two small screws which I don't see happening..lol.

"Is this a stock HID? How did it go out? While riding, or when you turned it on it flashed and went out? Is it completely dead now? Is there any abnormal buzzing noise when you flip it on?"
Yes it appears to be the stock HID, I don't know how or when it went out because I bought it with it out, it does not make any noise either at the bulb or the ballast...I hope this helps.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I just bought the bike a week ago and the prior owner told me the switch was another way of turning on the high beam lights...but obviously he was wrong. I trailered the bike home to get plates and such and started reading the manual that came with it and it explained about the independant HID light and the switch, so I went out to play with it and realized that it wasn't coming on. I just assumed that the bulb went bad and ordered a new one @$50. Plugged it in, left it hanging while the bike was running and all other lights were on and got nothing. that's when I started following wires to the ballast and checked the wires going INTO the ballast from the main spider harness and found I am getting no power readings at all. Oh, and I broke the new bulb trying to get it back out of the light assy because I thought that maybe I had to have it in place for grounding or something. Now I have the old bulb that I managed to finally get out from that bracket, I lost one of the small screws that was holding it in (dropped somewhere inside and can't seem to find it), and no power getting to the ballast.

I was actually seriously considering getting the HID kit from you because I read that I just have to twist in the new bulb vs trying to align that band bracket with those two small screws which I don't see happening..lol.

"Is this a stock HID? How did it go out? While riding, or when you turned it on it flashed and went out? Is it completely dead now? Is there any abnormal buzzing noise when you flip it on?"
Yes it appears to be the stock HID, I don't know how or when it went out because I bought it with it out, it does not make any noise either at the bulb or the ballast...I hope this helps.
Is the ballast under the seat? Bulb has a big square metal base, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ballast is under the windshield faring. Yes, the bulb is square,
D1R I believe is what it is.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The ballast is under the windshield faring. Yes, the bulb is square,
D1R I believe is what it is.
Well, it could be a bad ballast, bad bulb igniter or a wiring issue. Did you check if 12V goes into the ballast?

Please see my PM and e-mail me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Plugged it in, left it hanging while the bike was running and all other lights were on and got nothing. that's when I started following wires to the ballast and checked the wires going INTO the ballast from the main spider harness and found I am getting no power readings at all."

Yes, I checked the power going INTO the ballast and there is no power going into it...the ballast.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...Yes, I checked the power going INTO the ballast and there is no power going into it...the ballast.
Then it's the switch or wiring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I should be getting 12V going into the switch from the bike or is it going to be some odd number that I wouldn't think about? And did you say that don't have an upgrade HID setup for my bike?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
And I should be getting 12V going into the switch from the bike or is it going to be some odd number that I wouldn't think about? And did you say that don't have an upgrade HID setup for my bike?
Should be 12V (+/- 1, depending on what your battery has to offer).

I don't have an HID upgrade to HID kit. I have replacement parts for factory HID (which is what you have), so if you have a bad part, I can help you get it replaced without paying dealership prices. And I have halogen to HID upgrade kits, but your center beam is not halogen, so that wouldn't work for you. But if no current gets to or comes out of the switch, nothing will work downstream from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotcha, I will work towards the switch troubleshooting and post what I found. Hopefully it is the switch and then just the replacement part.....:crzy:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Gotcha, I will work towards the switch troubleshooting and post what I found. Hopefully it is the switch and then just the replacement part.....:crzy:
Trace the wires too, and make sure they weren't clipped/cut somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK, so I had a major learning experience; good and bad.

The good: I found out how to disassemble the front headlight area of my bike, I reinstalled the old HID bulb correctly, and I think I found out a reason that my HID isn't coming on.

The bad: I broke off a little tang that helps secure the very front of my faring(still works, just the principle), I broke the outer edge of my HID switch trying to remove it from my center consol(never did get it out by the way..lol), and I am pretty sure that "If the HID switch had wires that were actually plugged into it, it might work!!"

I reached up underneath the center consol to the HID switch to find that there is nothing plugged into it...? Now for the other problem from my end, where are the wires? I looked around that area and found a couple wires dangling (found a bunch up in the front end also attached to nothing) but can't seem to locate the wires with the correct plug.

So this is something that someone with the same setup could help me: are the two wires for that switch together on one plug or two seperate? What color are the wires? Do they come out of a harness in that area or from somewhere else just running into the consol area? Of the two wires(I am assuming two), is one a constant hot and one a constant ground (this may help me voltmeter wires to find them). Maybe a couple pics of the wires and plug? And finally for the $50,000,000,000: how do you get that switch to come out??...lol. THX people in advance for the time and help.

And to answer the fuse question: yes I checked the fuses when I found out that the ballast wasn't even getting power...thx for asking.

Problem solved!! I took the consol up to look under it for the two wires I needed and low and behold, there was a plug labeled HID driving light with two wires going into it....go figure. So..I plugged it in, screwed everything back into place, started the bike and flipped the switch....ta-dah!! LET THERE BE LIGHT. THX all for the assist and suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts