Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday we got a nice day after the big cold front and I did my quick walk around and put on my gear to go for a ride. I unplugged the battery tender maintainer and hopped in the saddle, engaged the ignition and yep you guessed it, NADA, nothing, zilch. I pulled off the front cover and tested the (factory) battery which was reading at a minuscule 1.36 V. I checked the maintainer and it was working properly so the battery seriously cratered. I got online on Amazon and ordered a YUASA AGM battery and a NOCO Genius 3500. FFWD to Tuesday when the battery was delivered. I unpacked the battery and put the acid in per the instructions and let it set for a few moments before placing the cap on it. I farted around a little while in the garage and then walked out to the drive where I had the battery sitting, under the battery was a pool of acid. Sure enough the case wasn't sealed properly on the bottom and the acid was just leaking straight through. I got out the water hose and baking soda to clean up the mess and had to restrain myself when I called Amazon. Fortunately Amazon was great and the immediately issued a refund and told me to dispose of the battery properly. I ran to Autozone and to my surprise they actually had a 20 series powersports battery in stock and ready to rock. I got the old battery out and installed the new one and all is right in the world again. Oddly I hooked up the old battery to the NEW NOCO genius 3500 which did not even recognize that a battery was hooked up...talk about Dead!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yep , seen it a lot over the years . Direct Short inside the battery , it happens in an instant usually .

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boy, That original battery didn't last very long.
2.3 years isn't terrible...I would like to get more though. I guess it got back at me for getting 8 years out of the factory battery in my old Toyota Tundra.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
2.3 years isn't terrible...
I have pulled brand new batteries off the shelf stone dead , and 0 volts in them . Batteries are like light bulbs , they can last 10 years or less then a day .

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Battery in my 2010 is still original, Gotta watch out for some of the batteries out there, one of the most recognizable manufacturers out there I have seen the same type of battery come from three different countries, Japan, China and Taiwan, if your lucky you get the Japanese one. Same box, same part number, different origin.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
I'm on my third battery, bought the bike new December '13

Grrrrr

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Living in Texas we get some crazy extremes to say the least. 100°+ in the summer to who knows in the winter is hard on batteries. Saturday it was 70° at 1 pm, at 11 pm it was 17°.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Doncha just hate getting assaulted by a battery? :)

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I have one of those Genius G1100 chargers.

https://no.co/g1100

Worked very well until I hame home one day and it was completely dead. It had the distinct aroma of something that had let out the magic smoke. I do have a 2.5-year warranty on it so I still have to send it back, but I reverted back to my battery tender...

·
13,262 Posts
my 08 vision stock battery went 8 years. It didn't fail but I saw voltage change on voltage gauge when riding and was scared of leaving me in the middle of gods country some place.
The local HD dealers is fifty yards from the Vic dealer and had a battery sale going on. So I bought from HD dealer and saved $50 bucks.
The original battery had a sticker on it saying May of 08 installation.
I think Yuasa makes a good battery so I never think twice about buying one. Ordering one online scares me if it isn't right I have send it back. Don't like that idea

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think Yuasa makes a good battery so I never think twice about buying one. Ordering one online scares me if it isn't right I have send it back. Don't like that idea
It was a weird situation to say the least. The battery was in the Sealed YUASA box packed in another box with sufficient padding all around. There was no damage to either box. The leak was coming from the bottom where it is sealed to the sides, an obvious manufacturing defect. THe red arrow is pointing to the leak below.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
i bought a battery locally just before my trip to Colorado last summer. It supposedly had a full year warranty. The day before I was supposed to leave I went to make one last check on the bike and the battery was dead dead. I noticed some liquid under the front of the bike that turned out to be battery acid. Had to buy a battery from Autozone because battery store was closed. When I pulled the battery out of the bike there was a hole in the bottom, and you could see it was burned. When I got back from my trip I took battery and receipt to the battery store. They would not warrant the battery because they said I punched the hole in it. And I have bought 4 batteries from them this year for our vehicles. Never again. The Autozone battery is doing good so far, but this bike eats batteries.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Rich...What battery store are you referring to and was it their battery that leaked?

·
Registered
139 Posts
sorry for the delay in answering Ric. It was a local battery shop in Biloxi and I can't remember the battery brand. But I won't buy from them again. The Autozone battery seems to be working good. Even though I'm not riding much right now and the battery is holding a good charge. This is the fourth battery I've had in the bike.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
I just bought a Duracell from Batteries Plus cuz its made in the US and has a 2 year replacement guarantee. From some of the posts, I'll bet they wish they had that.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I just bought a Duracell from Batteries Plus cuz its made in the US and has a 2 year replacement guarantee. From some of the posts, I'll bet they wish they had that.
That is the same one I bought and it's been awesome! I love it! Ordered it online at 10 pm and picked up the next morning!

Reactions: RICZ

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
The 2nd replacement I put in was a gel made by battery tender. It is the best I've had so far. The gel batteries are a bit quirky though. You need to have a load on it for a few minutes to wake it up on cold mornings. I run the grip and seat heaters and the headlight for a minute and it is good to go.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
That is the same one I bought and it's been awesome! I love it! Ordered it online at 10 pm and picked up the next morning!
How long have you been using that Duracell?

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
How long have you been using that Duracell?
Not long, considering I picked up the bike on July 30. I bought it around the first of November just prior to riding up to North Georgia for Veteran's Day weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts