Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week I installed the 1/4 turn throttle on my 2014 XC.

A few days later I realized the cruise wasn't working. I read everything I could about it both online and in the service manual. It seemed to be the throttle cables, which didn't have enough slack.

Last night my mechanic and I took everything apart again and thought everything was adjusted properly, with one exception....

The push cable doesn't seem tight against the 1/4 turn throttle piece. Meaning, that when you push to close the throttle, the cable bows out slightly and almost seems like it wants to come out of the groove.

So we thought we had it all set. I tested it on my ride home and it didn't work.

When I got home, I went through the troubleshooting procedure in the service manual and everything checked out. I though after the procedure, maybe it would be reset.

Riding in to work this morning, I had high hopes of it working properly, but no can do.

The cruise is still not working.

I'm fairly certain it has to do with the push cable, but I'm unsure how to fix it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Been thinking about doing this mod and will be following this thread..gota have cruise :)

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
That's funny, I have heard this happening from so many people.
When I installed mine, I made a video of it, I found that my cruise worked even better... smoother and I also noticed my cancelling of the cruise by twisting the throttle off works even better than when I first bought the bike.

Go down to your throttle body, both cable adjustments should be approximately the same distance. Mine are almost completely all the way to the front of the bike, only a few threads remaining. You should also have a millimetre play at the throttle.

Did you reconnect the cruise cable plastic casing to the throttle body?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Very easy to overlook, as well as binding a bit.
Just for giggles, pop off the right side panel and take a look in the fuse box. IIRC it is the only 20A fuse in there and is yellow. Check it out, it could have blown somehow and will drive you nuts, as in the cruise will turn on, but won't set.

Good luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The cruise cable is hooked up. I'll check the fuse shortly.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
I agree with PaulJP. I put the ring in a couple weeks ago and my throttle feels better than ever - no slop or lag other than the recommended play. I wonder if it was loose when I bought it...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's funny, I have heard this happening from so many people.
When I installed mine, I made a video of it, I found that my cruise worked even better... smoother and I also noticed my cancelling of the cruise by twisting the throttle off works even better than when I first bought the bike.

Go down to your throttle body, both cable adjustments should be approximately the same distance. Mine are almost completely all the way to the front of the bike, only a few threads remaining. You should also have a millimetre play at the throttle.

Paul,

I've watched your video several times, in addition to several otheres.

Unfortunately, your video stops when it comes to adjusting the cables.

The only thing I suspect that we did differently is that we adjusted the cables before closing up the switch housing.

Maybe that's the culprit.

Tonight I'm taking it apart, redoing it, then closing up the throttle housing, then adjusting the slack in the cable at the throttle body.

Hopefully that works.

By the way, I did get the cruise to work sporadically on my ride home. It seemed like it would engage as long as I twisted the throttle a significant distance. This further leads me to believe that it's the push cable that needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG.

We tried again.

Thought everything was good. Cruise worked on my way home. I shut it off bu pushing the throttle closed, then after that it wouldn't turn back on.

On the bright side, we also got my amp and speakers installed and fixed the faulty iPod harness going to my lower.

I'm seriously losing my mind about this. :confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed

I really hate it when people have an issue and get it solved but never follow up afterwards.

Hopefully this will help others that may have this issue in the future.

As mentioned in my previous post, this issue was making me crazy. To the point that I could not stay asleep. So I got up at 6:15AM this morning and headed out to the garage and did the following.

- Took off the gas tank (for the 4th time this week). :crzy:

- Took off the cheese wedge.

- Unhooked the cruise control cable.

- Loosened both nuts on both throttle cables

- Unhooked the cruise control housing bracket.

- Took apart the switch housing.

- Unhooked the cables from their holes in the throttle grip and removed the 1/4 turn throttle ring.

So at this point, I was basically starting from scratch....

I examined the 1/4 turn ring to make sure that there were no rough edges and then started to reassemble the throttle with the new ring and attached the cable ends to their respective holes in the grip.

I also unplugged the 2 wires from the throttle switch and attached a multi-meter to each terminal so I could tell if it was open or closed. This is a key to helping solve this issue. The switch will be open if the cable is in the correct spot. If it is closed, your cruise control will not work!

I closed up the switch housing and I could tell that the push cable was bowing out as mentioned in the original post in this thread. I knew that this also had something to do with the problem as mentioned earlier. So I starting playing with the adjustments of the cables on the throttle body, always listening for the "beep" of the multi-meter.

I then re-opened the switch housing and looked at the cables and both of them were loose on the ring.

WTF!!!

Then it dawned on me. In order to keep the cables tight to the ring, I needed to use the adjusters at the handlebars to remove all of the slack that we created to add the ring. This is another key point to get this adjustment right.

So after adjusting the cables at the switch housing, I tightened everything up at the bars. Then I made sure that the switch remained open while tightening the nuts at the throttle body.

Before I put the gas tank back on, I did steps 1-9 of the cruise control diagnostics 19.23 in the service manual to further confirm that everything was set up correctly.

Since everything seemed to check out, I put the tank and seat back on, then I washed the bike.

A short while later was the moment of truth when I took the bike for a test ride. I think I held my breath and said a couple prayers just before pressing the cruise control "on" button, then hit "set".

Low and behold, the cruise was functioning properly!

F*^% YEAH!!!!!

I made sure that it turned off with the front brake, rear brake, and throttle pushed to close and everything checked out just as it should.

SUCCESS!!!!!!:cool:

Sorry for the long post, but like I said, maybe this will help others out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing more rewarding than solving an annoying fuckin problem like that!!! Good work brother!
Thanks man. I'm so relieved. Now its time to go pound the pavement all weekend!:ride:

·
13,177 Posts
ASTRA
you said
I also unplugged the 2 wires from the throttle switch and attached a multi-meter to each terminal so I could tell if it was open or closed. This is a key to helping solve this issue. The switch will be open if the cable is in the correct spot. If it is closed, your cruise control will not work!

what do you mean "throttle switch" ?
kill switch?
start button?

·
Registered
90 Posts
ASTRA
you said

what do you mean "throttle switch" ?
kill switch?
start button?
If your bike has cruise control there's a switch in the push throttle cable under the gas tank.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your bike has cruise control there's a switch in the push throttle cable under the gas tank.
Yes, this is correct. It's called the throttle switch and there is a reference to it once in the owners manual.

Unfortunately, there is no picture of it and no description.

I made a post on Facebook asking about it and KevinX explained it's location or I wouldn't have known about it either.

·
13,177 Posts
Thanks
never new the name of it before. I rode a good 500 miles one day cruise working fine with only one wire attached to the switch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks
never new the name of it before. I rode a good 500 miles one day cruise working fine with only one wire attached to the switch.
The cruise will work fine with the switch disconnected (one lead or both). However, it will not shut the cruise off by turning the throttle forward.

The switch senses the position of the push cable. That's why if your throttle cables aren't properly adjusted, the cruise won't work.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The cruise will work fine with the switch disconnected (one lead or both). However, it will not shut the cruise off by turning the throttle forward.

The switch senses the position of the push cable. That's why if your throttle cables aren't properly adjusted, the cruise won't work.
Great info brother , thank you so much for sharing it .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts