Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
07 Ness Jackpot with Victory Shotgun pipes...bought used...always thought they were debaffled (that's what the previous owner told me)...the other day a bolt fell out of the top pipe (side bolt that used to be there to hold baffle I believe)...while looking down there to see how to replace this bolt I happened to look into the bottom pipe with a flashlight and noticed that it still has the baffle in it!

What is going on with my bike by having 1 baffle in and 1 baffle out? is this mechanically hurting anything? I've driven it like this for the last 4-5k miles.

What should I do, take the baffle out of the bottom pipe? put new baffles in both? will taking the bottom baffle out require a remap?

thanks for the input/thoughts...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thats very odd to have one baffle out and one in. I would take the one out untill you get new ones. You would probably be better off getting some aftermarket baffles instead of the vic ones.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
How do I remove the baffle on these Victory Shotgun pipes?
Thought you answered your own question in your original post. Just remove the screw that secures it. It may be one of those 'safety screws' with the nipple in the center. You can find those bits at many tool outlets, such as Harbor Freight. However, I would not run without baffles! Buy some Thunder Monster baffles to go in there. They sound great and perform well. No baffles, and you lose exhaust velocity, and subsequently, throw away power.

If you can get ahold of another stock baffle, you will want to remove the catalytic converters from the ends of them, and then put them back in.

Again, never run a slow churning motor like a v-twin without baffles, unless you don't care about throwing away up to 10ft/lbs and 10hp in the low and mid rpm ranges.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
apparently now what I've found out is that both pipes had baffles in them all along, for some reason I just thought they were out...maybe it was just the catalytic converters near the ends that were out...maybe not...either way, when I had the loose bolt the other day I ended up blowing the baffle out while riding the bike and didnt even realize it...now it sounds loud as h*ll when I gear down...hate to drop the money for new baffles but I guess that's the next step...sounds like everyone recommends the Thunder City brand...

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Thought you answered your own question in your original post. Just remove the screw that secures it. It may be one of those 'safety screws' with the nipple in the center. You can find those bits at many tool outlets, such as Harbor Freight. However, I would not run without baffles! Buy some Thunder Monster baffles to go in there. They sound great and perform well. No baffles, and you lose exhaust velocity, and subsequently, throw away power.

If you can get ahold of another stock baffle, you will want to remove the catalytic converters from the ends of them, and then put them back in.

Again, never run a slow churning motor like a v-twin without baffles, unless you don't care about throwing away up to 10ft/lbs and 10hp in the low and mid rpm ranges.
Actually, running without tips/baffles makes a decent power increase on Victory Shotgun due to the pipes having very small headpipes. By running no baffles/tips, I picked up 5hp everywhere on the dyno.

Here's a link with dyno sheets to prove it. If your running exhaust tips, you lose one horsepower and gain one pound of torque by putting the baffles in.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=9115

1 - 6 of 6 Posts