Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On I-25 (translated to Californese that would be The I-25) we got frontage roads on either side out in the middle of the prairie in hay pasture country. Not what you call scenic or technical riding. Nonetheless I been waiting to make use of the obvious benefits of a straight stretch of good asphalt with no traffic and no intersections on one side and only a few tractor and RV dealerships dotting the other, all closed on Sunday. Yesterday was Sunday.

So the red bike will provide me with a pretty much maximum speed of 112 mph sustained. That floats around 4 grand and while that is working it is reliably available. I am throwing darts but I think that I am not going to ever see a buck twenty on this thing, without taking a 112 mile an hour motor and stuffing it full of 100 dollar bills. We'll see. I'm prone to overthinking and underestimating.

Don't get me wrong. I'm satisfied and not inclined to play doctor. 112 is very respectable in my book for a lumbering battleship out of the box.

Oh yeah, so I have pipes. Other than that stock. Now that I have a good road to play on I'll run the traps with the other bolt ons sitting in the shed.

Plus, blowing past interstate traffic like they are sitting still is a bonus to any serious scientific enquiry.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I had my XR with the wife in tow doing 90 mph in 6th gear going up a pretty steep incline coming up out of NC and heading back in to TN on I-26 and still had plenty of throttle left to go. Found a whole new appreciation for the power and smoothness of the X bikes. Mine is stock as well except for some re-cored pipes (for now).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Blasted my XR to 95 while climbing onto the 101 freeway in Phoenix, wife on the back. Was getting sick of the local wise-asses always trying to be first and thought I'd educate them that it takes a fast car to be quicker than a bike. Rowed into 6 just a few lengths from the entrance, and looked down to see the needle clocking toward 100 like it meant business.

"Holy s#!t," said I. "We're going 95 already!"

"No!" said the wife. She's used to me taking off like a bat out of hell, but other than the pull during acceleration she had no clue we were that far above normal cruising speed.

Them's good bikes to be sure.

·
Registered
810 Posts
here's a pic of my GPS showing max speed of 116. Speedo was bouncing around at 120- this was before pipes & powercommander, when the rev limiter was bumped up.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
YOU'RE ALL UNDER ARREST!!! :ltr:

·
Registered
659 Posts
I find all x-bikes get a little twitchy over 80mph. Wouldn't want to be going 100mph + and hit a pebble sending the bike into tank slapping oscillation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I find all x-bikes get a little twitchy over 80mph. Wouldn't want to be going 100mph + and hit a pebble sending the bike into tank slapping oscillation.

Yeah, mine's smooth as glass at 90. I don't even really hold the grips when I'm riding the slab with the cruise on. Change lanes with my ass and legs (shifting weight).

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Mine was also smooth as can be at 90 and I rode at that speed for about 20 minutes. If yours is twitchy then you may have a tire out of balance or something.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't noticed that and I do spend a considerable amount of quality time north of 80.

At my reported bucktwelve the bike behaved civilly throughout the exercise. I ran that stretch three times, both ways and nary a ripple on the waters.

I can't attest to other machines characteristics at speed but I am satisfied that I can count on 112 on any reasonable asphalt surface not too uphill.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
If yours is twitchy then you may have a tire out of balance or something.
Or maybe he got a lil twitchy watching that needle climb?

I'm not one for top speed runs. The thought of losing my license over such an inconsequential thing is always in the back of my mind. Still, there is that every now and then.

Last time I was down in Tennessee with the Vic I couldn't sleep and I was set to come home in the morning, so about 2 am I hopped on the bike and headed home. I got on 75 and once outside the Knoxville limits got blown passed by a semi-wielding fellow I nicked named The Rouge Trucker. He musta been doing over the ton going down that hill and I thought yeehaw, I got me a sparring partner!

We proceeded to drive/ride like maniacs most of the way to Kentucky at which point I punked out and he roared off into the morning.

I never noticed the bike twitch.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When I say twitchy I'm not saying unstable, just it takes very little input to make a big change, and it has a tendency to oscillate a bit after abrupt input... it calms down quick enough tho.

Run it up to 80mph, wiggle the bars a bit while shifting your weight (wiggling your butt) in the opposite direction. When you hit the right frequency it will make your hair stand up.

Anyway...

I am on my second x-bike, both bikes responded exactly the same. Every x-bike demo I've had the opportunity to push up to 80mph has done the same thing. This has also been mentioned a few times in test reports in CycleWorld, RoadBike, etc... Just a function of the geometry of the bike.

Too much air in the tires makes it worse, not compressing the forks and aligning everything up front after a tire install will make it really bad.

I occasionally run 90mph sustained. I wouldn't want to go much faster tho.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So the red bike will provide me with a pretty much maximum speed of 112 mph sustained.
I was out on a long straight patch between the cornfields today. Speedo registered a little over 110 when I decided that I had pressed my luck far enough. Still felt like it had plenty left in it. GPS registered 101. A few miles up the road I passed Johnny Law. Glad I got that out of my system when I did.

One thing I didn't notice was any hint of instability. I felt like I was riding a bullet train.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Oh, and glad Johnny was a little further down the road. Anything 20 or more over is a possible trip to jail in FL.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I generally don't mod my vehicles for top speed, as I don't find it too practical, but few weeks back I had to see what it could do. About 105 all I could think about was 'this would really hurt if somethin were to go bad right now' and immediately brought off the throttle :D
I do however enjoy quick acceleration, and have had my bike to 90 before hitting the highway from the on-ramp.
Again I don't condone this, and never do it with any cars around, but it is nice to at least see what the bike can do thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Can hit 100 mph easily and feel rock solid .. That suits me fine have not pushed it beyond that ..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts