Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's saddlebags on his 12 XC is coming a part at the right rear corner seam of the bag as you look down at it on the clutch side and the other bag is doing the same thing in the same place. You can see light through the open seam. My other brother and I each have a 12 and 14 xc and they have a reenforced corner with some type of patch. My brother took it to the dealer yesterday who took plenty of pictures and is going to submit it to victory. His warranty is up in April. We'll see what victory does to solve this problem. Dealer says he has never seen anything like this. Anyone else out there with a 12 XC and would you check your hard bags to see if you have any type of patch in the corners. Thanks all. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have an 11 XR and my hard bags are fine. I do think if one is to keep a Cross bike for the long haul then the bags will eventually need to be replaced, I don't think they are of good enough quality to last for decades.

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
I can't recall hearing about this issue before so I assume it's very rare or many unhappy X bike riders would on the forum talking about it.

I'd be surprised if Victory did not replace these bags. Be sure to tell your friend to make sure the bag latches are not getting damaged after getting them installed.

Is there any chance you can get a few pics and post them here? I'd like to see this.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My wife and I each have a 2012 Vic XCT. On all four bags, the rear outboard seam is reinforced on the inside of the bag with a vertical piece of plastic that runs from the top of the bag all the way to the bottom where it wraps around the small space at the bottom of the bag. This piece is applied with a black glue that you can see oozed out from between this reinforcement and the bag in several spots. This reinforcement looks like it would be slow and a pain in the butt to install (gluing it in) and it looks a bit cheap so I suspect it was added due to a problem with the bags.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't have an XT, instead an XR ...which i bought hard bags for. After reading this I am going to check those today. After paying some $1200 bags & locks if they do not have the reinforcement as mentioned ? I will be heading to the dealer. ......

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
Don't have an XT, instead an XR ...which i bought hard bags for. After reading this I am going to check those today. After paying some $1200 bags & locks if they do not have the reinforcement as mentioned ? I will be heading to the dealer. ......
It may not need it. It sounds like there was a bad batch of bags that didn't get plastic welded correctly for the 2012 XC's at this point. That's probably why they applied this extra reinforcement during a certain time period. You may notice the OP's bike and the Vinish's are all 2012.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Both my bags have the reinforcement.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My 2011 XR also has the reinforcement.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I have a 2012 XCT that was shipped by Polaris to the dealer in either Jan. or Feb. of 2012. I just went out and looked, and I have this extra piece -- one in each saddlebag, on the rear outside seam.

Never noticed this (or at least paid attention to it) before now. It seems to be in place, even though near the bottom it appears that I gouged a little bit of the edge, carrying something.

Here's a pic of the piece in question, if I understand this thread correctly:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The picture posted by Wspollack is EXACTLY what is present on the four bags (two 2012 XCT bikes) that I reported on earlier.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
Must be a glitch in the system because I got a notice of a new post in this thread via email from the OP which said the following...

Well my ffriend got a reply from Victory about his bags coming apart on his 12 xc with warranty yet. Victory said they would not do anything for him, since a new design was created. Gee I wonder why the new design was created. Anyhow so now he has to find someone who can fix them. It's sad you have a great bike but helping the customer doesn't seem to part of their goal.
Yet I don't see the post here in the thread. Victory not fixing or replacing these bags is unacceptable IMHO.

I would still like to see at least one picture of this though...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Must be a glitch in the system because I got a notice of a new post in this thread via email from the OP which said the following...

Yet I don't see the post here in the thread. Victory not fixing or replacing these bags is unacceptable IMHO.

I would still like to see at least one picture of this though...
I got the same notice in email...

The bag situation is damn pathetic for a "fairly new" manufacture entering the business.

That said though....I also own a BMW and read the N/Gs as well. And sadly this lack of customer service has been mentioned there. A friend went through a two year war with Kawasaki , same sorta crap [engine issues].

Point being it's all about the $$$$.....nobody really cares....:(

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got some pictures of my brothers bags in which they were coming apart each bag. The picture isn't real great but as you can see, you can see light coming through the seams. The seams are in the back corner. Victory now has put an L shaped brace in the bags. Ma Vic said they wouldn't do anything since there was a new design. So I wonder why they made a new design. This is a 12 Cross Country. Thoughts out there about this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
Straight up!

There was clearly a problem in the manufacturing end of this saddlebag build and probably was for a lot more.

Here is what anyone who has had this issue needs to do...

Go to the Victory Facebook page and make a small stink about it. A small stink to start with is much better than taking a big stick to start with. You can always break out the big guns later on if necessary but start small and work your way up.

In the past this method has worked for others and I hope it works for you too.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Still don't understand why my 2011 XR (January 2011 build date) has hardbags with the "L" shaped brackets in the corners and your 2012 does not.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TNXR, We have looked at people who ride 11 xc and 12 xc and they have the L shaped brace, but he asked the same question to Victory but their reply is design change.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts