Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want to get some taller bars for my bike, I'm thinking about 14" bars but I'm not sure. Nowhere close (within 2 hours/120 miles) keeps apehangers in stock so it's kinda hard to get an idea of what I'll want. Holding up a tape measure kinda half ass works.

I'm 6'2" and I figure I want my hands about shoulder height. Does anyone about my height have apes on their v92? How tall are they and where do your hands sit in relation to your shoulders? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
It's not so much about total height as it is about torso length and arm length. I'm 5'10" and wear a 32" shirt. So arms are a little longer and my inseam is 30" so a little long in the torso. I feel most comfortable at 16" - 18" apes. I have the Ness modular's on my XCT and they are a little short so I have them set somewhat forward.

On my Road King I started with chubby apes in 16" and they were comfortable but just a little short. I went to 18's and they were good. Went to yaffe 20's but they were too tall. I didn't realize Yaffe's bars run about 2" taller so they were really like 22's.

You really need to sit on some bikes with different bars to get a feel for them. I seem to remember some HD dealers had an adjustable setup in stores to aid in finding your correct riding posture in seat, bars and pegs/boards. Don't know is those are still around anywhere. Some venders at rallies have had a similar setup. You could have a buddy stand next to bike extending a broom handle or pipe over your bars to aid you in finding your close to ideal setting.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I see what you're saying. I just measured my arms, I'm 29" from shoulder to knuckles. Wear 34" pants. 2 guys I work with have Harley's, but one guys ultra classic is too cramped for me, his bars sit back too far. and the other guy has a super glide with apes but he's old and can't remember what size they are :ltr:

I need more riding friends :crying

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and got 16" bars. Those of you that have 16s on your v92, how much did you have to extend your wiring? I'll be ordering the cables and such soon, I'm just curious as to how much wiring (not cables/brake line) has been extended for 16s

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a few guys on here within say 1.5-2 hours from me. Haven't rode with any of em though. I don't know if anyone wants to hang out with my young punk ass:grin most kids in town my age have crotch rockets, I have the back of a 50 year old blue collar man, I can't ride those things lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally got all my parts, 16" jp cycles bars, 12" over stock spiegler brake line and 12" over stock Barnett cables. The difference is amazing, it handles way better than it did stock and I'm much more relaxed while riding now

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ghost , that looks sick !!!! Glad you got it sorted , looks so good Brother .:ride:

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
a mate got busted last weekend for having apehangers on his V800!
cops here measure from lowest point of seat to height of bar ends taken back in a straight horizontal line to the vertical line up from the seat.
$300 fine...
My Burleigh Rollerbars are just legal by that criteria and Johns apes are way over!
Just his luck last weekend, we ride past a pub in the scrub that the local 81 were having their annual poker run stop at, complete with entourage of task force police:frown
They were straight onto his apes.
Hes just come off a Chinese Hyosung shitter with racer crouch and with his back problems just loves the apes and overs on his Kwaka.
coupla pix

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a mate got busted last weekend for having apehangers on his V800!
cops here measure from lowest point of seat to height of bar ends taken back in a straight horizontal line to the vertical line up from the seat.
$300 fine...
My Burleigh Rollerbars are just legal by that criteria and Johns apes are way over!
Just his luck last weekend, we ride past a pub in the scrub that the local 81 were having their annual poker run stop at, complete with entourage of task force police:frown
They were straight onto his apes.
Hes just come off a Chinese Hyosung shitter with racer crouch and with his back problems just loves the apes and overs on his Kwaka.
coupla pix
That's a raw deal for your buddy, I've never understood the point of laws against apes. Florida has a law (from what I've been told) that your hands can't be higher than your shoulders or something like that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts