Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bit the bullet yesterday and changed out my stock rear tire for an identical E-3 in hopes that I can get some where around the same mileage out the new one. The old one came off at 13,855 miles and could have easily gone another 500-1,000 around town but I'm getting ready to hit the road for a week or so and didn't want to have to deal with it.

I am completely dumbfounded as to the mileage on this thing, I have never owned a heavy bike that even came close and 9 or 10k is about the best that ever could be done occasionally. So what do I chalk this up to???

A few things with one of them being the weight reduction of a CC versus a heavy Electra-Glide, the less mass that has to accelerate/decelerate the less friction will be on the contact patch of the tire. The other being the power band of the Vic engine, i.e. it isn't exactly a "puller" at 1,200 rpm so unless you've got wrist control issues so to speak the acceleration from a stop is actually a lot milder than some other engines.

I think in my opinion the most critical part of the extended wear on this tire though is the introduction of balance beads. I installed Dyna Beads in the tires right after I got the bike. The wear pattern on the rear tire even at 14k miles was even, no cupping or odd dips or swirls, just a worn down tire.

When I get back from my little adventure in a couple of weeks I'm gonna have to swap the front tire out too.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Got 18,000 out of mine and could have gone farther .... Just changed it out for an Avon Cobra .:wink

·
Super Moderator
4,948 Posts
E3 is a great tire I'm at 12,000+ and am about 1/2 way or so.

I had an 09 Ultra I got over 18,000 on but I tend to ride a bike like I paid a lot of money for it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I finally bit the bullet yesterday and changed out my stock rear tire for an identical E-3 in hopes that I can get some where around the same mileage out the new one. The old one came off at 13,855 miles and could have easily gone another 500-1,000 around town but I'm getting ready to hit the road for a week or so and didn't want to have to deal with it.

I am completely dumbfounded as to the mileage on this thing, I have never owned a heavy bike that even came close and 9 or 10k is about the best that ever could be done occasionally. So what do I chalk this up to???

A few things with one of them being the weight reduction of a CC versus a heavy Electra-Glide, the less mass that has to accelerate/decelerate the less friction will be on the contact patch of the tire. The other being the power band of the Vic engine, i.e. it isn't exactly a "puller" at 1,200 rpm so unless you've got wrist control issues so to speak the acceleration from a stop is actually a lot milder than some other engines.

I think in my opinion the most critical part of the extended wear on this tire though is the introduction of balance beads. I installed Dyna Beads in the tires right after I got the bike. The wear pattern on the rear tire even at 14k miles was even, no cupping or odd dips or swirls, just a worn down tire.

When I get back from my little adventure in a couple of weeks I'm gonna have to swap the front tire out too.
I had just a few hundred miles less on the rear tire on my XR when I changed it last year before a 2500 mile trip. No balance beads for me, just kept it at 42lbs and checked it before any riding I did before leaving from home. Probably had enough rubber to have done my trip but didn't want to be worried about it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got 20,000 miles out of the original E3. After that I tried the Avon Cobra's and only got 10,000 miles out of the Avon's and the rear tire looked worse than the E3 with double the miles on it.

I will say that the Avon's handle better than the Dunlops but I couldn't live with half the mileage. Right now I'm 5,000 miles into a set of Metzler ME888's so my opinion is up in the air on those.

But from what I can see getting 15,000 + miles out of the E3's is pretty typical. If I can't get decent mileage out of the Metzlers I'll got back to the E3's. I don't like the wet handling of the E3's but if I'm getting double the mileage from the other brands then I'm sticking with them.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I run Dyna Beads in all of my tires and I'm pretty consistent about checking my air pressure and keeping it above 40 psi.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I got 20,000 miles out of the original E3. After that I tried the Avon Cobra's and only got 10,000 miles out of the Avon's and the rear tire looked worse than the E3 with double the miles on it.
Nooooooooooooooo!

·
12,983 Posts
checking the tires and using a good gauge is the most important parts for long tire life

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I was actually shopping tire prices yesterday. I've got nearly 11k miles on my XR and my rear tire is about 2/3's gone, could probably go another 4k miles or so. My tires are 5 years old though (bike was 1.5 years old when I bought it) and to me that is too old for me to feel safe. I was looking at either another set of E3's or Metz 888 but my local independent was trying to get me to consider the Bridgstone Exedra's because I a not a high mileage rider (3 to 4k miles a year) and the softer compound may work better for me since 75% of my riding is in the twistys.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Bridgstone Exedra's

Have to look that one up my friend

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I had 14.5K on my stock E3s, I put on a set of Michelin Commander IIs and rode it for 12K, just replaced those with an Avon Cobra set not because the Michelin was overly worn, but because I didn't like them.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Whauw bridgestone even have the sizes for Jackpot .... Amazing good info ...

21" - 90/90 front
16" - 240 rear

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Wrist control issues hey?
My front E3 is still ok approaching 6K miles but doubt itll see 10K miles.
Still a fair bit left in the centre but I tend to go around a lot of bends.
Also the side rubber grains up like its a dual compound.
No complaints though its possibly gonna be the best wear yet.
Gonna be dearer, err costlier to replace than the old 21" Stingrays
tyre but.
For sure footed grip the fatter front is the ducks guts.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Got a little over 9000 out of the E3. Put on a Cobra. It seems to handle very well.
Maybe it will last as long since the bike is broke in and the map is done.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I believe the lighter OEM wheel/tire will track, grip, & handle better than a bigger heavier one-it just won't look as kool.
Well your wrong mate the 130 70 18" shits all over the 90 90 21"

as far as looking cool thats all up to the lookers concept of "cool"

I'm certainly not doing it to look "cool" (Im the person who just bought and posted a thread on my C90 Honda so do you really think I'm concerned with "cool" ???)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Anyone tried Michelin Commander II?
I've got about 3K miles on my MCII rear. I really love the tire, but I had them on other bikes as well. The wear well and you can get 20K out of them. I've had no issues in rain, wet, or whatever. Still got the stock E3 front, but will be replacing it soon enough.

My stock E3 rear only got 12k, but towing a trailer for 5k miles of that killed it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've got about 3K miles on my MCII rear. I really love the tire, but I had them on other bikes as well. The wear well and you can get 20K out of them.
Cheers mate.

Anyone had issues with a 240 wide rear on a Hammer S? As that's the widest size you can get.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts