Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So Russell Mitchell likes using 15" lace wheels with fat tires on his bobbers quite a bit. Anyone ever attempt or contemplate attempting doing fatter, taller side-profile tires on 15" rather than 16" wheels on a Vic? I saw one hammer in here that put a 140 upfront, but not seeing anything in a 15" wheel.. Thought I'd throw the idea out there. Mitchell likes to use a 15x5 front with a big whoppin 200 Metzeler, then 15x7 rear with a 230.

Trick is.. I know of no single company that does a 15" wheel besides Exile, and I imagine all their wheels are harley-specific.

Bobber eye-candy:

I figured what the heck.. The High-Ball section needed some activity. Right? :)

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
A Highball with the front fender off, add fat tyres front and back, chop the rear fender, add a springer seat (although I see you have a pillion)- now your talking!

Do it bsbabcock! :D

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Personally I think this looks better than any of the above;

·
Registered
976 Posts
I agree! I do like the third bike though.

·
12,984 Posts
bsbabcock

keep in mind there all wide glide front ends with 41mm forks. So if you don't have the right size forks the wheel will look out of place

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ours are 43mm right? Would it look that much different?

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you want a 15" wheel, I can't help you there....

But, I can give advice on what to do, to get the same basic look. You need another rear wheel (minus the hub), at least 5" or 5.5" and a guy that knows how to lace and balance a wheel. Take your front wheel off, and take your hub out. Relace your front hub, into the rear rim. Then just put on a 180, or 200 and your set. That's all it takes, and follow the size guide on the exile site for tire sizes and what to go with for what rim size. You don't want to try to slap a 180 tire on a 3.5" wheel.
Just make sure you have enough room between your forks for the size of tire you want to run. Also keep in mind this will require a custom made front fender if your going to run one,.. but if your calling your bike a bobber,.. leave the front fender off! Bobbers do not have front fenders. thumb up (although the first time you ride in rain you will wish you had one)

·
Registered
976 Posts
I live in Scotland so a front fender isn't an option!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Because it rains more often than not! :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Why don't you email Exile? I'm sure Russell would help! I'd be interested to know where he got a 230 white wall from to go on that black bike with flames.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want a 15" wheel, I can't help you there....

But, I can give advice on what to do, to get the same basic look. You need another rear wheel (minus the hub), at least 5" or 5.5" and a guy that knows how to lace and balance a wheel. Take your front wheel off, and take your hub out. Relace your front hub, into the rear rim. Then just put on a 180, or 200 and your set. That's all it takes, and follow the size guide on the exile site for tire sizes and what to go with for what rim size. You don't want to try to slap a 180 tire on a 3.5" wheel.

Just make sure you have enough room between your forks for the size of tire you want to run. Also keep in mind this will require a custom made front fender if your going to run one,.. but if your calling your bike a bobber,.. leave the front fender off! Bobbers do not have front fenders. thumb up (although the first time you ride in rain you will wish you had one)

Good stuff. Yeah I had a thought that doing some 15" rims on the stock hubs might work once a a guy figured out the spoke length.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good stuff. Yeah I had a thought that doing some 15" rims on the stock hubs might work once a a guy figured out the spoke length.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Not sure if this will help any,.. but Im bobbing an 86' Goldwing right now. It has 15" wheels on it, but they are mags not spoke. Not sure if Honda ever offered other other 15" wheels in spoke, but might be an option to look into.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts