Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a heck of a time finding a 16mm allen wrench for the front axle. Most bike parts stores only have a 17, 19, etc. After an hour or so of searching I found a 16mm at Grainger for 13.00.

Just patiently waiting on my rim to arrive. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a heck of a time finding a 16mm allen wrench for the front axle. Most bike parts stores only have a 17, 19, etc. After an hour or so of searching I found a 16mm at Grainger for 13.00.

Just patiently waiting on my rim to arrive. :D

Harbor Freight, got a whole set for about 11 bucks.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Is it possible to just use a large metric bolt with a 16 mm head and then jam two nuts together on the threads to provide a place to turn? Even better would be to make a quick weld on the nuts to the threads. This is what I use for the axle of my wife's VTX 1300.

Another option is a 16 mm coupling nut although this might be hard to find. If you did find one, they would likely be cheap. They are long enough that you could get one end into the axle hole and put a socket on the other end.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Others had the same difficulty finding the proper size, so they went with a coupler nut instead.
You can see their post here.
I think that is the way I am going to go, but I hear they changed the newer years to a 14mm so it might be easier to find.

Opps... Vinish posted the same thing before me.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
5/8" is the same

·
Registered
347 Posts
This work? ..$6.50

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Why can't you just use a 5/8" or 16 mm socket to "grab" the portion of the coupling nut that is sticking out of the axle hole? The coupling nut is long enough that it could stick into a bottomless axle hole deep enough and still have plenty sticking out for the socket or wrench to "grab".

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
a 16mm hex bit, or 5/8ths hex bit works.
Someone was very ingenious here and bought a 5/8 coupling nut for less than $2 and it works fine.

·
Registered
611 Posts
a 16mm hex bit, or 5/8ths hex bit works.
Someone was very ingenious here and bought a 5/8 coupling nut for less than $2 and it works fine.
Yep, figured that one out years ago trying to find a 22mm allen to remove the wheel nut on my futura (also figured out that the backside of a sparkplug socket can be used as a large allen if you stick an extension down into the socket)

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Cant remember what size it is on mine off hand but I got the tool from autozone or pepboys had them in stock.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I hope you guys are right about the 2014's having a 14mm Hex cause I just ordered one off Amazon. It's a shame that out of my past bikes I've had (Hayabusa, ZX-14) they all had different size axle bolt and none of the special tools will work for the CC.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know mine is for a fact, because I tried buying the 5/8 hex from Harbor Freight. I wound up driving back to the store and bought the metric kit and used the 14mm...now I have 2 kits...

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I hope you guys are right about the 2014's having a 14mm Hex
My 2014 XC is a 14 MM Hex. I may have been the one to bring it up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pauljp is right. 14 up switched to 14mm. I'm pulling mine off today and my 5/8 that I was using on my 11 won't fit. so I'm off to store.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts