Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up new XC last weekend and love it. Did notice a couple things I will work on to make better. One thing me and the wife noticed is the bike is really kind of difficult to mount for the passenger. She has no issue or difficulty getting on my HD but the XC at least the first time is proving to be a PIA. Looking at the location of the passenger pegs they seem quite a bit forward making it hard to gain leverage with the rider aboard.

Maybe we are doing something wrong? Anybody else notice this? Anything out there that helps this?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My better half has more trouble getting on my cross bike than other bikes I have owned. It is the downside of having so much more room compared to other makes! She'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
A passenger backrest makes a whole lot of difference. It gives her something to get a grip on while mounting. Also, Kuryaken makes bolt on passenger floor boards which can be mounted fore or aft.

My girlfriend has little stumpy legs (5' 0") and I have her get on first which makes her life easier. When she dismounts she steps off like getting off a horse, again a non event.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Each is different just like other things we ride. It's like being used to getting on a donkey then having to change to a thoroughbred.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think the backrest will help some, I did pick up the Victory backrest and luggage rack for 35% off (parts guy made sure I got the not recalled ones). Think we will try as mentioned having her get on first, its bound to get easier.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
This arrangement helps tremendously.....they're from Kuryakyn, 4" extensions, but 2" are available. They fold up, out of the way too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Picked up new XC last weekend and love it. Did notice a couple things I will work on to make better. One thing me and the wife noticed is the bike is really kind of difficult to mount for the passenger. She has no issue or difficulty getting on my HD but the XC at least the first time is proving to be a PIA. Looking at the location of the passenger pegs they seem quite a bit forward making it hard to gain leverage with the rider aboard.

Maybe we are doing something wrong? Anybody else notice this? Anything out there that helps this?
Well, the passenger seat is way up there, so it can be more difficult than on some other bikes.

As Foto Joe mentioned, a backrest could help. (I have an XCT, so that has the trunk, which I've never taken off.)

Here's a video from a friend of mine in Virginia, with a big ol' scooter (I also have a Burgman 650), that he made a few years ago and which may possibly help. Interesting video, and only a minute and a half long. You'll see that a shoulder and something for the passenger's other hand to rest on are used:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yep. Watch the Burgam video. That's how any big big should be mounted by a passenger. No slinging your leg over like the smaller or narrower bikes.

I will however put the bike on the jiffy stand, turnoff, leave in gear and dismount before my wife sometimes because I have a driver backrest and she'll fold it down to get off. I stand next to it so she can still hold on to me while getting off.

jeez, now that I re-read this, all this mounting and dismounting sounds a little....... and now that I think about it she'd hate it if I get off before her ;-)

Reactions: HenryT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This arrangement helps tremendously.....they're from Kuryakyn, 4" extensions, but 2" are available. They fold up, out of the way too.
These look like a possible solution. I think just moving them back 2" would make a big difference. I only see them offered in chrome though. I guess could have them powder coated black.

Thanks all, good stuff!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
....... and now that I think about it she'd hate it if I get off before her ;-)
Hey, that's just the way we're built. Don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Well, the passenger seat is way up there, so it can be more difficult than on some other bikes.

As Foto Joe mentioned, a backrest could help. (I have an XCT, so that has the trunk, which I've never taken off.)

Here's a video from a friend of mine in Virginia, with a big ol' scooter (I also have a Burgman 650), that he made a few years ago and which may possibly help. Interesting video, and only a minute and a half long. You'll see that a shoulder and something for the passenger's other hand to rest on are used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWO2q-JG0Hc
Awsome riding pants.... Yup that is how my 76 year old mother got onto my CCT, and we went for a residential ride with the radio on and NO helmet.... It was super to do that with my mother.

Andre
TaPaTaLk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts