Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a great deal on a Hammer rear wheel. 18x10.5 with spacers.
Should I run a 300 or 280 tire on it?
Can any wide tire Hammer riders offer some advice?
(2014 Hammer 8-Ball)

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ran a 300 rear tire on my 07 hammer with no spacers and I loved it. All I needed to do was grind a little on the inside left side swing arm.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Love the 300 look

And this OP is not "back" for his answers tooooo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
300 arriving tomorrow

I finally ordered my 300 tire last friday. It will be delivered tomorrow! :D :D
(Delay due to having the rear wheel powder coated and installing my mini apes and cables)
Working single dad here with not a lot of money. I do all my own wrenching since I can't afford to pay shop labor.
Plus I love to learn and tinker, plus that pride in doing it yourself is gratifying when people ask where you take your bike for customizing, lol :)

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Keep thos thread going SW and post some pictures of rims & fitment, etc.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yup, please post pics and your impressions!

I actually went the other way, from the stock 250 to an Avon cobra 240, since I like hitting the twisties with my bike, It'll work better for what I do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any updates SWRidin?
I have also decided it's time to join the 300 club!
After reading all the threads/post I could find am I correct in saying the 18x10.5 with Avon 300 will just clear the belt on a 2014 Hammer 8Ball?
Of course I will be cutting the rear loop bar off and griding down the frame and also the swing arm where the brake line mounts. One question is where do you guys mount the brake line now or do you just let it hang free?
Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Mat

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
I would love to do the conversion to 300

BUT buying 2 rims ??? why cant they make a billet rim same as stock design size 18x10.5 ....

Just for fun, see a 360 tire in a victory ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwLmUtnC1xM

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Pictures of rims and prices statement would be much appreciated ....

·
Registered
530 Posts
damn that is huge!
is the swingarm custom widened or does someone make a custom swingarm for that conversion?

·
12,968 Posts
go back to that youtube video and subscribe to it and he will contact you trudelc1

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any updates SWRidin?
I have also decided it's time to join the 300 club!
After reading all the threads/post I could find am I correct in saying the 18x10.5 with Avon 300 will just clear the belt on a 2014 Hammer 8Ball?
Of course I will be cutting the rear loop bar off and griding down the frame and also the swing arm where the brake line mounts. One question is where do you guys mount the brake line now or do you just let it hang free?
Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Mat
18x10.5 with 300 will fit. But it was a bitch getting it to fit. Its very very tight. I did all the cutting and grinding you mention, and also ground the inside of the fender supports because I ride 2 up and the 300 contacts fender supports on the inside. haha. You'll see when you raise and drop the bike to install the 300 fatty. I had to run the brake line on the outside. My tire was still hitting it. It fills the swing arm so much there is almost no room to work with it. When I first installed it, the tire wouldn't spin because it was contacting the front of the bike. I tightened up the axle adjusters and the belt hit the tire. So it took a long time to dial it in just right to get no rub. Wasn't fun, took a few test rides to get it right, but now I roll like stock, its awesome! Love the 300! I have a 21 in the front and apes so my setup probably isn't for everyone but I love it, the 300 is cushy and smooth like a cadillac. It pushed that 21 so countersteering and leaning are your new style of riding, but I come from sport bikes, so I can throw this beast around like nothing. People marvel at the bike everywhere I go. But its not for them, its for me. :devil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the reply SWRidin thumb up
Sounds awesome mate you will have to show us a pic!
I'm still undecided what size to go on the front wheel either stay 18 or go 21.. Does the stock front fender fit over the 21?
I need to make up my mind quick my rear tyre is due to be replaced!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply SWRidin thumb up
Sounds awesome mate you will have to show us a pic!
I'm still undecided what size to go on the front wheel either stay 18 or go 21.. Does the stock front fender fit over the 21?
I need to make up my mind quick my rear tyre is due to be replaced!
Same here, my stock rear tire was running out of life, luckily a great deal on a 18x10.5 rim came along before I ordered a new 250 tire. The guy I bought it from said it was a 18x10. But when I got it and measured it, it was a 10.5. It took me another three months to put it on because I'm not rich and live in a rural area. I had to find a powdercoater to black it out, then I had to save up for a tire, then I had to install it myself. Previously I had never removed a rear tire from a motorcycle haha! But that is the fun! Research it. Buy the tools. And make time to teach yourself. Learn as you go. The pride and knowledge is priceless. Just be patient and work through it. Honestly I think I might try a 280 tire next once I burn up this 300. Only because fitting it was a major pain lol. 21 needs a new fender. I'm running a new fender. Stock hammer fender will not fit a 21. I love the 21, 21 was actually done before the 300 and I really like the feel of it. But that is all personal preference. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I brought my wheels today the Aussie Dollar killed me big time!
I ended up staying with a 18" front the extra cost in getting a fender for the 21" wasn't worth the $$$ atm..
I decided to go with the 280 Metz for now so I don't have any issue's and less stress fitting it lol.. Maybe the next tyre I might go 300.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
One thing measuring wheel widths.
Calculations go from the inner lip where the bead seats to opposite inner lip.
Not outer edges of the rim or youll gain anywhere from half to a full inch.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts