Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'm fixing up a 96 cavalier i bought for my stepson and need to replace the ignition key lock cylinder. i know there is a hole or slot to push a pin in to release it. i have poked around for hours and can't find the release, there are several holes and slots. can anybody tell me EXACTLY where the release hole is? also the exhaust pipe is missing for a spot right behind the cat, is this where the second o2 sensor should be? it has one on the manifold but i can't see the other anywhere and it is supposed to have 2. thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My wife had a '96 we sold just a few years ago. Can't help you with the ignition, but I'm pretty sure the car only had the one O2 sensor in the manifold. Sorry I couldn't be more useful.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I got nuthin except to say that I sure hope somebody chimes in. This here '96... whatsit? Oh yeah, '96 Cavalier thread has got all kinds of room for new and exciting things to rip each other a new one over.Pop is bored with the Cobra back and forth and the not so exclusive gun threads and what with the election being over and the world didn't fall out of it's solar orbit (yet) things are kind of meh.
I was opining somewhere about one of the problems with this site is that Victorys don't break enough to keep us all focused so we end up taking potshots at one another.
But ridealittle hit on a genius workaround.
'96 Cavalier. Now that there is a classic piece of sh... uhhh American knowhow that must have umpty zillion issues worth going off on.
Yeah, let Pop remind you that GM killed the Hummer and the Saturn but the Cavalier sunk on it's own merits.
Check this out

Z24 ragtop WITH a bra. Man, shoulda coulda woulda. I would be a different man today if I had me one a them babies.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i finally found the key lock release, but it wasn't the problem, a piece in the start switch on the opposite side had broke. when you started it it would turn itself back to off. and i'm almost sure the other o2 should be in the outlet of the cat. i got this 96 with 106,000 miles for 1700.00, it runs and drives good, good tires, but basically EVERYTHING on it needs work. ignition, exhaust, power windows, check engine light {prob. the o2}, passenger seat won't slide, loose trim, brakes, broken lug stud, dents, they have basically the same engine as the old saturn, which he did own till lately, a 2000 year ls1, the timing chain broke on it at 69,000 miles and trashed the engine, had to tear it down to the block and pistons, and re-build the timing chain system and head, but then it ran to well over 200,000 with no work on anything except brakes. it was still running when he sold it but worn completely out.
as for oil i put whatever the wife brought me back from advance, didn't really even look at it, castrol maybe? yeah i kind of have a bad attitude about working my arse off so everyone else doesn't have to spend money.

·
12,984 Posts
You live near the mountains. Maybe you should come down to sea level and see that we are into bikes and there are plenty of Forums out there for your old what ever car

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You live near the mountains. Maybe you should come down to sea level and see that we are into bikes and there are plenty of Forums out there for your old what ever car
hey. i posted in the lounge forum, for discussion other than bikes, and surely even you own a car? at least its not another gun thread or woe for my country thread!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have a coworker with a '96 Cavi. He'll probably let me roll under it to see if there's a second O2 sensor post-cat. I'm pretty sure there's not, but I've been wrong before. And it's not like I ever worked on my wife's. It ran pretty decent and got good mileage. Had to change the tranny pan gasket once and the multi-function switch died in it, but that was it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all but i got it figured out. there is a second o2 on the rear of the cat, and the ket turning itself off was the ignition switch, not the key lock side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts