Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found out the used v92c I purchased has had an odometer change. That would mean the reported mileage is incorrect, right? It was replaced july of 07. Read 8986 miles. And there are 0 reports as far as a vin check goes. What do I do.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
What is your concern? My advice is to ride and ride it hard and not worry about the incorrect odometer.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My guess is that it would be more hassle than it is worth. What is the value of 9000 miles? My guess is not very much. To fight this legally would be a money losing decision. You might try talking to the dealership about it but they also know it would not make sense for you to fight it legally and might not care. Best of luck. My advice is still forget about it and ride it. The 9000 miles not only has minor influence on the bike monetary value, it also has minimal impact on the value of the bike to you. Ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not worried about fighting it legally. More worried about what is the actual mileage. For all I know if could have 80k on it. I did a vin report it it shows nothing. Not even dealer recall service.

I Called the place I got it from told them, they are concerned and told me they would reach out to the person that traded it in and give my info to them... I'd like some idea of service history.

As far as legal goes I didn't want to have someone tell me I falsified the odometer if some day I resell it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
In the two states where I have bought and sold vehicles (MI and FL), the sale section of the tile contains a box that is checked to indicate if the odometer mileage is accurate or not. This is to accomodate a situation like yours where the odometer has been replaced. I wonder if other states have such a CYA box on the sale documentation.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not that it helps much, but I would almost be more relieved if that bike did have more than 8k miles on it. The 99's that had problems seemed to have had them pretty early on in life, the others just seem to keep on running without tranny issues.
I know there have been a lot of issues with the V92 early bikes and the odometers. Seems it's damned hard to change a replacement odo to what the old one had... some places are just giving out a slip showing the 'old' odo reading to add to the new one. I wouldn't automatically assume that the dealer was trying to hide the total.. he may not have any way of knowing depending.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah the dealer had no clue about it. He gave me a number of a local Polaris dealer who was able to run the vin and found that all the recal work was done to it as well as the new speedo but no recording of actual miles.

Im ok with the miles just now I'm very curious about the bikes history... I would love to know actual overall miles though, but only 9k miles since 2002 is amazing

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just found out the used v92c I purchased has had an odometer change. That would mean the reported mileage is incorrect, right? It was replaced july of 07. Read 8986 miles. And there are 0 reports as far as a vin check goes. What do I do.
My V92 came to me used with about 3500 miles on it. Took it immediately to the shop and they told me the speedo was changed and it was short 7500 miles!!! Not happy about it but, got it at a great price.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If memory serves, the replacement odometer could have come with the the old mileage set on it. I believe that was what happened when I replaced a H-D unit, a long time ago. I could have lied about the mileage to the dealer, but what a BS thing to do.

[/QUOTE]
I Called the place I got it from told them, they are concerned and told me they would reach out to the person that traded it in and give my info to them... I'd like some idea of service history.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the Polaris folks can give you the mileage on the bike when it was serviced at other times. It would be nice to be sure about when down the road service was coming up. In the end, if you are not sure, you can do stuff like change the fork oil a bit early, carry an extra clutch cable, or a ride saver (I think that's what they are called), and have a drive belt in stock. I have been so happy to have an extra drive belt when mine have broken or been compromised by a rock. Victory designed the belt installation so it can be fairly easily done, unlike many of the the H-D big twins.

If you are not sure that the oil & filter are fresh you definitely want to address that .

What Vinish wrote. I bought a Sporty and the dealer had made a mistake recording the mileage on the title. They provided paperwork that had been sent to the state marking the mistake and the correction.

A bike with 9K miles should look much better than one with 90K. The fasteners should be in better shape, the electrical connections should uncouple easy and the overall look of the bile should be better having not been on the road for so many miles.

I bought an 04 v92tc a couple years ago w/3K miles. It was a right coast bike, so there was corrosion on the thing, but there was no problem working on the bike, mechanically, or electrically. I did the research and felt okay with the buy and when I sold it as well. Hopefully you will enjoy the hell out of it and won't sell it for a long time. When you do, just be up front with the buyer and you can walk away with some great memories.

Vic 92TC 3 04.jpg

Best wishes for many smile filled miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I mean based on looks they are pretty decent for a bike of it's age. The chrome is starting to flake on the the floorboards and brake pedal and on the brake fluid res, also a dented front fender and the only rust I found was on the battery cover/computer covers on the inside.Leather all looks decent and weathered nice otherwise. Oh the windshield could use a polish...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts