Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading off on my 1st poker run. I've rode in groups of 5 but 20 plus will be a trip. I just did a tank of seat off detail to show off a little at a HD hosted wounded worrier ride. 9 hours later plus a hour of wife's help. I'm looking for advice about a poker run what to expect and etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't be one of those guys that has a beer at every stop. Pay attention to the riders around you and make sure they don't either. Better to leave the ride and live for another day.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups.

Other than that, have fun! cheerscheers

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Don't be one of those guys that has a beer at every stop. Pay attention to the riders around you and make sure they don't either. Better to leave the ride and live for another day.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups.

Other than that, have fun! cheerscheers

Why can't you have a beer at every stop???? What the hell is wrong with that? If you ride for 45 mins then drink a beer... You can do that all day long. The only thing that will happen is pissing more often than usual. I am 190 lbs and I carry a breathalyzer in my saddlebag. I can drink two American beers every fuel stop (2hrs) all day long and never be over .06 bac. 2 Canadian beers puts me right at .08 but not till the second stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol thanks for the input. Don't drink beer do shots and don't do it every stop do it every other stop. Carry a breath o matic in my bags... Double check but honest I don't drink really and I've heard it big on drinking. Any truth to that? And you dump enough to get hammered on a run here in jc ohio your a door nail. But thanks for the warning

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
A beer and a shot!!!! Now where talking. I think that would put me over the limit after 2 stops though... Decision, decisions. Lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why can't you have a beer at every stop???? What the hell is wrong with that? If you ride for 45 mins then drink a beer... You can do that all day long. The only thing that will happen is pissing more often than usual. I am 190 lbs and I carry a breathalyzer in my saddlebag. I can drink two American beers every fuel stop (2hrs) all day long and never be over .06 bac. 2 Canadian beers puts me right at .08 but not till the second stop.
If you are kidding, good one. If you are not, you need to see someone about your addiction.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I really hope you are joking.

As for Mr Sweet, it is hard to say. So many different ways they do these. Some are group rides, in which case be very mindful of who is around you. All levels of riders attend, and many to most are not equipped with what it takes to ride in a large group. Even the ones that are, have not ridden with this group.
Some let small groups or individuals go to destined stops in destined time frames. These are the kind I like, and I get to ride my ride instead of following the straight away throttle monkey that has to slow to a duck-walk to get around a 40MPH curve.

Watch yourself and if the voices,,,,,,,,,,er um, that little voice tells you that it isn't for you, it isn't. Bow out and enjoy the day.

Cheers

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hmm must be a bunch of Liberal's...
On the contrary, I am conservative as they come. I have seen way to many bad things come from drinking and driving. I damn near lost a son from a drunk driver. I have also lost a friend on a motorcycle group ride and everyone was sober.

I am not into taking undo risks on a bike. The odds are already stacked against us so we need to have complete control of our wits.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am not taking any risks either... I stay within the law.
Staying within the law and using common sense are two different things.

Accidents happen fast and you need all the response time you can muster. Being .06 BAC is within the law but how impaired are you? Most people under the influence think they are fine until they are not.

If .08 BAC is OK to drive then why is it that a truck driver is limited to .04?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Staying within the law and using common sense are two different things.

Accidents happen fast and you need all the response time you can muster. Being .06 BAC is within the law but how impaired are you? Most people under the influence think they are fine until they are not.

If .08 BAC is OK to drive then why is it that a truck driver is limited to .04?

Truck drivers should have 0 BAC.... Can you drink alcohol at work? I don't want to get into this with you because you are thinking with emotion and not rationally. I have done extensive driver testing at different BAC and my response time doesn't change until I hit .12 BAC. Have you ever drank 2 beer then drove a vehicle? What is the alcohol content of 2 American beers? What are the effects of the added oxygen while riding a motorcycle on your BAC? On a poker run your usually stopping every hour give or take... So in your educated mind do you think it is safe to have a beer when you stop? Answer honestly...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Truck drivers should have 0 BAC.... Can you drink alcohol at work? I don't want to get into this with you because you are thinking with emotion and not rationally. I have done extensive driver testing at different BAC and my response time doesn't change until I hit .12 BAC. Have you ever drank 2 beer then drove a vehicle? What is the alcohol content of 2 American beers? What are the effects of the added oxygen while riding a motorcycle on your BAC? On a poker run your usually stopping every hour give or take... So in your educated mind do you think it is safe to have a beer when you stop? Answer honestly...
I don't drink and drive period. I drink when the ride is done and I am parked for the day. I don't need a beer or mixed drink to have fun with people. It is more about being in control of my own actions.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Stay Alert, not everyone rides as well as you do.
And the more beer stops the braver some riders get.
Be alert for bikes roaring up your inside right (USA) out of nowhere
Try and keep a bit of extra distance back from the bike in front.
If someone goes down and the packs tight they'll generally bring others down too.
Start with a full tank of fuel and don't forget to draw a card at each stop.
On the run back to the last stop things can get pretty wild and speeds can get right up there.
I've had a few very memorable quick runs to the last stop, but I cant really expound too much on the grounds that Ill incriminate myself:)
Have fun and be extra aware.
If you've got a lady on the back, get her to enter the wet t-shirt contest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I'm really worried. You wasn't joking now. I'm not going jump on a aa ban Wagon that's half my family but I will say this. If you do drink and do ride please be sober before you head out give it a hour for each beer. Life is important. I. The other stand point I am more worried about the newbie riders who only rode a year got a big bike and is now lined up beside me. I'm happy my dads aa buddy's will be with us(about 20 people) so that will help but a 3rd are new riders

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I don't drink and drive period. I drink when the ride is done and I am parked for the day. I don't need a beer or mixed drink to have fun with people. It is more about being in control of my own actions.

You never answered the question... Let's let this die. I don't drink and ride as a habit but I am not scared to have a couple of beers on a ride. I know my limits and stay within them. Each to there own as always. If a person drinks one beer every hour they will not be impaired was my initial point. If your a new rider please don't drink a beer every hr and watch out for each other on your poker run.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You never answered the question... Let's let this die. I don't drink and ride as a habit but I am not scared to have a couple of beers on a ride. I know my limits and stay within them. Each to there own as always. If a person drinks one beer every hour they will not be impaired was my initial point. If your a new rider please don't drink a beer every hr and watch out for each other on your poker run.
OK, let me be crystal clear. No, I do not think that is safe to have a beer and drive anything.

Why is it so important to have a drink when you drive? I guess I am not one of the "cool kids" that thinks I can handle it. As I said in my 1st post: beware of the stupidity of people in larger groups. Probably why you will never see me at any large event for bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
OK, let me be crystal clear. No, I do not think that is safe to have a beer and drive anything.

Why is it so important to have a drink when you drive? I guess I am not one of the "cool kids" that thinks I can handle it. As I said in my 1st post: beware of the stupidity of people in larger groups. Probably why you will never see me at any large event for bikes.

It's not important... I sure do enjoy the taste of a frosty bottle of beer on a hot day though. Not canned beer or draft beer just bottled beer. That's all... I love an ice cold beer on a hot day. Not a big deal... I won't judge you for sounding like a teetotaler and you don't judge me for enjoying an ice cold Coors Banquet beer every hour or so while out riding. Neither of us are breaking any laws and both parties are obtaining what they want. Win win situation.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I will have a beer or two on poker runs. Not one every stop but only because I am cheap and don't want to pay for beer. But I have been on a few runs before and they are normally a good time. Just be cautious or the riders around you and you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts