Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone happen to have a picture of the 2'' forward bars on there bike? I ask the guy in the parts dept at my local dealer about drag bars. He said they're no drag bars for the vision. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Really not familiar with anything other than the forward or back bars other then stock. However, I did see one with APES on it. It was interesting... That tells me wheres there a will theres a way... Sorry couldnt help

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm trying to figure out which bars will accommodate my long arms.
You haven't said how tall you are, so it's hard to tell just how long your "long arms" are..
I'm 6'7" and I have the 2" forward bars. I don't know that a photo will show you much as they are the same form as the stock bars, but 2" further away from you (unlike the bars shown by CrossRoads which are vary different to the OEM bars. The stock bars had me feeling like my elbows were stuck in my side. The 2" forward are verrrry comfortable for me.

I would have tried the apes as I would have preferred bars that were at least 2" higher, but since it costs $150 to get them shipped to Australia, that's just not an option.

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You haven't said how tall you are, so it's hard to tell just how long your "long arms" are..
I'm 6'7" and I have the 2" forward bars. I don't know that a photo will show you much as they are the same form as the stock bars, but 2" further away from you (unlike the bars shown by CrossRoads which are vary different to the OEM bars. The stock bars had me feeling like my elbows were stuck in my side. The 2" forward are verrrry comfortable for me.

I would have tried the apes as I would have preferred bars that were at least 2" higher, but since it costs $150 to get them shipped to Australia, that's just not an option.

Pete
I'm 6' 6'' I like the drag bars. But they seem a little low.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah. They look a bit low to me, too. You would definitely be happier with the 2" forwards than stock, but I really can't say if the apes would be better again. Based on the angles, and the fact that I would feel more comfortable if the 2" forwards were a few inches higher, I think they would be comfortable, but I just can't be sure of the reach.... sorry.

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. They look a bit low to me, too. You would definitely be happier with the 2" forwards than stock, but I really can't say if the apes would be better again. Based on the angles, and the fact that I would feel more comfortable if the 2" forwards were a few inches higher, I think they would be comfortable, but I just can't be sure of the reach.... sorry.

Pete
I'm not too crazy about the apes. I never been a apes guy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not too crazy about the apes. I never been a apes guy.
In that case, Dreamin, you're stuffed :) :) ...

There aren't many options due to the mounting style of the Vision bars, and you can't really get any risers. For me, as I said earlier, the 2" forward bars are very good and have caused zero shoulder or arm ache after a full day in the saddle, but they'd be great if someone made them 2" taller.

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In that case, Dreamin, you're stuffed :) :) ...

There aren't many options due to the mounting style of the Vision bars, and you can't really get any risers. For me, as I said earlier, the 2" forward bars are very good and have caused zero shoulder or arm ache after a full day in the saddle, but they'd be great if someone made them 2" taller.

Pete
I think the 2'' forward bars will do. I was trying to find a picture of them on the bike. Have you had any modification done to your seat? I was thinking maybe 2'' back.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The stock seat seems to want you to relax back anyway I have always thought. Im 5'9" and the stock keeps me leaning a bit forward with the shorter arms. I would think those of you in that mid 6' range would be golden with the 2" forward. Boards adjusting 1 click forward would make me think it promots a bit more relaxed as well enabling a little more leg stretch. Good news Dreamin is that the wind managment is so good your not going to get blasted in the current seat!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stock seat seems to want you to relax back anyway I have always thought. Im 5'9" and the stock keeps me leaning a bit forward with the shorter arms. I would think those of you in that mid 6' range would be golden with the 2" forward. Boards adjusting 1 click forward would make me think it promots a bit more relaxed as well enabling a little more leg stretch. Good news Dreamin is that the wind managment is so good your not going to get blasted in the current seat!
I'm going to take one for a test ride. When the weather permits.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the 2'' forward bars will do. I was trying to find a picture of them on the bike. Have you had any modification done to your seat? I was thinking maybe 2'' back.
I'll see if I can post a pic. My seat is confusing. I asked Russell (Day Long) to move me back and up 2", and they said they did, but the passenger seat length is still the same as stock. It must be in the shaping......

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm going to take one for a test ride. When the weather permits.
Make sure you tell us what you think of your test ride. Dealers often don't set the demo Vision up for the size of rider (mine did), so there may be simple adjustments to fit you better if you find something you don't like. For me, personally, I have never ridden a bike that better suits my long frame, and I've tried plenty.

Tim's advice about adjustable foot positions is spot on, but it's not the boards that they adjust (they're fixed), it's the controls themselves. They can adjust the controls to one of three positions to fit long legs, short legs, or just plain boring legs :) :) .

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Make sure you tell us what you think of your test ride. Dealers often don't set the demo Vision up for the size of rider (mine did), so there may be simple adjustments to fit you better if you find something you don't like. For me, personally, I have never ridden a bike that better suits my long frame, and I've tried plenty.

Tim's advice about adjustable foot positions is spot on, but it's not the boards that they adjust (they're fixed), it's the controls themselves. They can adjust the controls to one of three positions to fit long legs, short legs, or just plain boring legs :) :) .

Pete
It sound liKe the Vision is the bike for me. Hopefully I'll find out soon thumb up

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Pete
Hi Pete, Do you have the 2'' forward bars made by Arlen Ness or Victory? Are there any difference between the two?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Pete, Do you have the 2'' forward bars made by Arlen Ness or Victory? Are there any difference between the two?
I got the Victory ones at Vision purchase time. Sorry, but I haven't seen the Ness ones. I did reinstall the stock ones just to check after I got my modified Day-long seat, but they were still too "crowded" for me.

You do need to get it as "right" as you can, coz the flat bottom on the Vision bars means there is zero adjustment forward or back. Luckily the range of bars means you can get it pretty right.

I might even try the apes yet. I'm not a huge fan of the look, but comfort is more important to me.

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the Victory ones at Vision purchase time. Sorry, but I haven't seen the Ness ones. I did reinstall the stock ones just to check after I got my modified Day-long seat, but they were still too "crowded" for me.

You do need to get it as "right" as you can, coz the flat bottom on the Vision bars means there is zero adjustment forward or back. Luckily the range of bars means you can get it pretty right.

I might even try the apes yet. I'm not a huge fan of the look, but comfort is more important to me.

Pete
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_27687_300.jpg These are by Arlen Ness

·
Registered
64 Posts
what i found

When i got my bike i had bad elbow pain and wanted forward bars. I knew i wanted a backrest so i got one and that actually took away all my pain by allowing me to kick back and relax instead of sitting so upright and close to bars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When i got my bike i had bad elbow pain and wanted forward bars. I knew i wanted a backrest so i got one and that actually took away all my pain by allowing me to kick back and relax instead of sitting so upright and close to bars.
I'm sure the backrest is comfy. I don't like the look of the backrest. In a few years I might not give a sh*t about the look. I'll want comfy!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts