Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well bike is in the shop. My HMD 2/3 inch lowering link has definitively caused issues. Not only is my shock wearing prematurely but it seems the HMD link didn't use the factory bushings, whether that is good or bad I will not comment on, but my upper bolt completely snapped from the angle, pressure, and possible design.

As a lightweight it certainly wasn't from overloaded and in Florida we're pretty flat.

Be forewarned on 2 inch lowering kits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
oh that sux. i have the witchdoctor 1" lowering

no issues yet but that sounds terrible. anyone else having issues?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Shock wear..?

Well bike is in the shop. My HMD 2/3 inch lowering link has definitively caused issues. Not only is my shock wearing prematurely but it seems the HMD link didn't use the factory bushings, whether that is good or bad I will not comment on, but my upper bolt completely snapped from the angle, pressure, and possible design.

As a lightweight it certainly wasn't from overloaded and in Florida we're pretty flat.

Be forewarned on 2 inch lowering kits.
I and Larry had a bolt failure last year on the 1" lowering kit.. I'm not sure what grade bolt he is using as the head was lost in the failure.. I replaced it with grade 8 bolt and so far no problems.. Larry on the other hand had a weld fail at the top joint.. I looked at mine the other day and it seems intact as far as I can tell..?
What is the premature wear on the shock ...?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think I'm just going to shorten my stock link. These threads are getting more and more common.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stopped by dealer so he could show me what happened and why. After seeing the HMD design and bolt, compared to my new HotVic which is designed like factory, I can only say no wonder it failed. In my opinion a very poor design. I included pics of both parts, you decide for yourself which you'd rather trust or buy. I'll let you guess which was the HMD too.

As for the shock, in their opinion I had to keep so much air in the shock and still bottomed out so much, the shock started to "seep", and this may also be due to the fact I was not aware the bolt sheared and the shock was taking extra abuse. Just theories.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Apparently , there was little or no R & D done on this product before being put to market ..... Oh and I wouldn't try to return it , from what I have read he doesn't accept returns .....

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently , there was little or no R & D done on this product before being put to market ..... Oh and I wouldn't try to return it , from what I have read he doesn't accept returns .....
I am trying not to bash, but he is useless. I have bought other products from him and zero service after the sale. I won't do business with him, I won't recommend him, but that's a personal opinion. I know the dealer working on my bike has bought/installed some of his bars and after seeing this, probably won't work with him anymore. I saw his bars on the dealers wall, the welds were really ugly compared to my old set of SVT 2" chubbies. I hate to see custom parts makers/retailers for our bikes get bad reviews, but it is what it is.

Even if I had installed/seen this part and it's poor design compare to stock when I bought it, he would not have taken it back. I didn't learn of the difference until it failed. He stands behind nothing, but is always available before the sale.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
bolt

what grade was the hmd kit bolt? just curious.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I didn't pay attention when I installed the link but replaced it with a grade 8. I took it out and looked at it the other day after Larry had a weld failure and it looked fine. However I just heard today about another bolt failure locally. didn't break but was bent. I talked to Jon at witchdoctor and he is offering a reduced price to those of us that are afraid of Mikes design. Nothing personal about Mike or his products but having another bolt failure or worse just scares me. The 1st failure was at 65 with my wife and thankfully it was between curves and not in a curve. Again not a slam at Mike or his products. He has been more than nice in the past.

·
Registered
269 Posts
same place

Stopped by dealer so he could show me what happened and why. After seeing the HMD design and bolt, compared to my new HotVic which is designed like factory, I can only say no wonder it failed. In my opinion a very poor design. I included pics of both parts, you decide for yourself which you'd rather trust or buy. I'll let you guess which was the HMD too.

As for the shock, in their opinion I had to keep so much air in the shock and still bottomed out so much, the shock started to "seep", and this may also be due to the fact I was not aware the bolt sheared and the shock was taking extra abuse. Just theories.
That is exactly where mine broke but the head was lost so im not sure what grade the bolt was. was it grade 8...? the piece that was left looked like it had been broken for sometime as the break wasn't shine as one would expect from a fresh break. I'm replacing the link and I'm hoping the shock isn't effected.

·
13,002 Posts
from what I see in photo you should grease the bolt and spacers for sure

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike told me he would replace mine but I think I will try witchdoctors as the design is like the original.
Glad to hear it. He should stands behind all he sold. He won't stand behind mine though as he already refused me service when he sold me his air command promising me fit and placement and a bracket (all in writing) then cut off all communication. this after buying multiple products. Again this wasn't suppose to be an HMD bash, but but my link is going in the trash as I will not place my wife and my life on this piece of trash. Put a stronger bolt in fine but just look at the design and you can just see what will be the next potential catastrophic failure compared to factory design. If I were a retailer selling his products I would raise my liability insurance after hearing of these failures.

Not trying to put him out of business but he should redesign, change his service/return policy and do a safety recall. Then some of us would have more respect for him. In my opinion he is a used car salesman and in FL the law protects them under Buyer Beware laws.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts

Looking at the broken bolt and the spacers it is obvious that the link has all the pressure on the area of the bolt where the wear. Is. The spacers do not help the rigidity of the mount, since they are basically floating .All the load force is directed to the center of the bolt. It is equivalent to putting a load on the center of the bolt without spacers. The bolt flexes with force. On the OEM design, the force is distributed across the whole mount and captured at the very ends, which is much stronger. It is obvious they didn't do any load calculations for the application on the HMD link

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Mike told me he would replace mine but I think I will try witchdoctors as the design is like the original.
Said ? or did ... Whether you go back to his or WD's , he should replace yours regardless . You paid for it , and your lucky it didn't kill you .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Said ? or did ... Whether you go back to his or WD's , he should replace yours regardless . You paid for it , and your lucky it didn't kill you .
Exactly how I feel. When mine gave out it was scary. Someone will unfortunately get hurt. As I said bought a new one from HotVic and as Victory dealer they will no longer lower to 2" and will not buy this design. They stopped offering The adjustable ones also as they had some snap.

I won't offer mine for sale or even free as I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

By the way, look at the pic again and notice how the spacer is all chewed up. Even they can't handle the stress.

·
Registered
269 Posts
said

He "said" he would replace it. I don't really need it replaced with another HMD link as I've decided to replace it with the different design more like the original. I "think" the design is flawed as was mentioned above. I'm not going to squabble over the price of the link mostly because of piece of mind as you eluded to. I'd rather spend to buy something I feel is a better design and hopefully not get killed if indeed this design is not better than HMd's.. I do think Mike should rethink the design or at least perform some stress testing on the product to prove the design is safe. I spoke with Jon about his link and he had some very valid experience with a design similar to Mikes for some other brand of bike that used a link system and some reasoning why he changes his design.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Based on the picture I saw , the failure , and the chance you could have crashed ... Full reimbursement for the part is mandatory . ENOUGH SAID . Inferior product that could have caused bodily harm .... Hell I sound like a lawyer .....

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Based on the picture I saw , the failure , and the chance you could have crashed ... Full reimbursement for the part is mandatory . ENOUGH SAID . Inferior product that could have caused bodily harm .... Hell I sound like a lawyer .....
He doesn't give refunds or service after the sale. Maybe you haven't seen other posts about him. I know he is reading all this and he knows those of us who have failures. I also know some like him so that's fine with me.

I doubt he even carries product liability insurance so good luck with a lawyer. Hopefully those few faithfully followers he has are enough to see him through. The rest can stay away from snake oil sales people making claims that aren't valid or they don't stand behind. Again I started this thread to warn of over lowering bike and poor design lowering links, not to bash. But I guess it's hard to separate the 2 when your life is on the line.

Here is a follow up pic of the spacer he uses to spread the stress points and the head of the bolt for anyone who wants to figure out strength, and yes, the spacer is all chewed up so it's another point of failure.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts