Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am do not post that often, but right now I am at a loss to figure out what is causing the problem.

I went up to the Grand Canyon area with a bunch of friends a year ago and the roads up there are terrible especially in the Flagstaff area (I-17). They can really tear the hell out of your bike with the deep pot holes they have.

We ended up putting over 900 miles on the bike and on the way back I heard noise that was actually sounding like road noise (only way I can describe it) but it was really loud and I never heard noise like that on any of the bikes that I have road and the music sounded totally distorted, almost like a hollow noise. It is a combination of both noises that I hear on my bike.

Took it to the dealer to have them check it out, because I had new tires put on the month before (Dunlop Elite 4). Told them about the rough roads and what I was hearing. They said they looked it over and could not find any problems. I told them they would have to ride it for a little bit to hear the noise and the noise with the music would get worse depending on the songs, so I had to give up with them helping me.

I went over my bike and took off the fairing to make sure nothing was loose and rattling. Speaker enclosures were okay and not loose, even changed out speakers up front and even in the back and they would sound fine when I am standing still, but when I start riding it would get the hollow sound from the speakers up front and checked and checked stuff over again and looked at different forums, but I could not find anything remotely like the problem I was having.

I even replaced the speaker enclosures, tried a different MP3 player, added the sound dampening kit that they sell for the fairing and to this day I am still having the same noise problems. The only thing I haven't replaced is the equalizer because it is not cheap and I would hate to spend the money and still have the same problems.

I know that this post is a little long winded, but any type of help would be greatly appreciated, because I am beyond frustrated and also I am to the point of taking my bike outside to shoot it or dynamite it!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
You have a trunk with speakers? Sounds like some wiring is picking up white noise, happens a lot with power/antenna wires. I'd start by riding with 1 speaker plugged in at a time to see if it's isolated to 1 channel. If so trace that channel for pinches/rubs/contact. If not, trace everything for pinches/rubs/contact.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Would love to see the outcome on this subject in a positive way ... Hope it is something simple

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
244 Posts
"...the music sounded totally distorted, almost like a hollow noise..."

It would be nothing but shooting in the dark to try to troubleshoot a stereo from that description.

"Hollow" could describe speakers that are out of phase.

"Hollow" could also describe what a speaker could sound like if it were baffled and not breathing properly.

"Totally distorted" could describe a ripped cone or a few other things.

Replaced the speaker enclosures....from what to what?

Replaced speakers...from what to what? What are the specs?

Are you running an amp?

What's the last thing you did to the stereo system just before this trip where the problem started? Undo THAT...and see if your problem goes away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have trunk speakers and I will try running with one speaker at a time to see if I can isolate it. Thanks for the reply and tip. I will play with it this weekend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just replaced the enclosures with OEM ones, because I did have a little problem with one of them. I did nothing with the stereo system before the trip and it all sounded fine before the trip. It only acted up on the way home.

I have the stock amplifier and I had Kicker 40CS54 in the trunk and Alpine SPS-510 in the fairing and I put them in the bike back in 10/15. Like I said that I did not experience any issues until gain until the return on the trip in 05/17, so it makes no sense what caused the problem.

The only work done on my bike right before the trip was getting new tires put on from my dealer and that was it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts