Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was only yesterday i joined the forum so i can not post in any other section than this one sorry.

Owned the 2009 Hammer for 1 week and tonight the bloody regulator/rectifier caught fire and smoked. Naturally I immediately pulled over, switched off and disconnected everything. The bike has barely done 2000 miles and this has happened.

Has anyone one else had this problem occur ? should i be worried about simply replacing the reg/rec and it happening again? I will measure the AC output from the altenator tomorrow, i believe it should be around 22vac at idle and 48vac at 2000rpm.

I am really hoping it is just a bad batch of regulator but for it to blow so soon is worrying. seems it's gone internally short circuit or something.

any advice or similar experiences appreciated.

Sorry for posting in the newbie section.... but i am the newbie :devil

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The rectifier/regulator on my 2012 XCT went bad in a much less dramatic way when it and the bike were about 2.5 years old. My symptom was high voltage on the dash gauge - about 15.5 instead of 14.5 when bike was running.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can i ask approximately how many miles you had done?

I have ordered the polaris part, or their replacement part (strange that) and will check all voltages when i fit and connect it up.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not an expert on vic's but I'd want to carefully do all the tests on the stator that are in the manual before hooking up another regulator. Regulators don't generally fail that way in my limited experience.
Read this post: http://www.victoryforums.com/36-victory-tech-performance-section/171121-voltage-regulator-left-me-stranded.html
You'll need a manual which you can download from here if you don't have one and a volt/ohm meter.

Good advice thanks, I got a manual on disc and have my head firmly buried in the stator testing section, with fluke 75 volt meter at hand. I will test tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I bought it used shortly before the reg/rect was replaced and it had about 9000 miles on it at the time of reg/rect replacement.

As for testing my reg/rect, I followed most but not all of the steps in the service manual. I ran all the voltage and resistance tests but there was at least one amperage test that I could not run as it required an electrical testing device called a "shunt" which I did not have. So I got creative. I have two 2012 XCT bikes in Florida - mine and my wife's. On my XCT, the voltage gauge read about 15.8 v. On my wife's bike, the gauge read about 14.5 v (both with bike running). I posted on this forum asking about it and was told this could be a problem with the reg/rect so I did the tests I could which showed nothing wrong. So I took the reg/rect off both bikes and swapped them. Lo and behold, now my wife's bike read 15.8 v and my bike read 14.5 v. This was enough proof for me that my reg/rect was bad so I bought a new one (got a pretty good deal), installed it, and my voltage was then back to a proper 14.5 v.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ah yes.The ole "known good" test. Nothing better...unless it don't work but at least you KNOW the part you tested isn't the problem. So it worked anyway. Trouble shooting is like that. So whooshbang, the point is try to fiend a known good to test yours against. Remember, start simple (read"cheap") and work up to complex (read"expensive"). You'd be surprised how often "cheap" is the answer. Keep us posted.

RB

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you gents.

Unfortunately Victory owners are few and far between here in the UK so the chances of finding someone to provide good working reference parts are slim however, The manual does state a good regulated charging voltage should be between 13.8-14.8vdc and anything higher than 14.8vdc the reg should be replaced. I will thoroughly test the stator today.... i fear the worst though, for the regulator to go up in smoke in this manner does point to a stator winding shorted to ground.

I'll keep you posted

Thank you all for the replies
Dave

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Unfortunately yes it does, the other scenario I see is one phases open or opening under load causing the other 2 phases to be overloaded by33% for extended periods of time.

If you don't find anything wrong with the stator, it's not grounded or shorted and puts out the correct voltages etc by itself without a regulator on it, I wouldn't just slap a new regulator on it. I would physically inspect the lead going to the battery and 40 amp breaker. In the case something has pinched a wire and it is intermittently grounding itself and burning itself free. Check the 40 amp breaker itself to be sure it hasn't failed in some way mechanically and there are loose pieces in there, etc. OR a piece of metal road debris ended across one terminal then burned itself clear. Only when I was sure there was no damaged wiring down stream of the regulator would I put a new one in. That wiring got really hot which means it was overloaded somehow. Hopefully it was just an internal short in the regulator that did it and it wasn't enough to take the stator with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately yes it does, the other scenario I see is one phases open or opening under load causing the other 2 phases to be overloaded by33% for extended periods of time.

If you don't find anything wrong with the stator, it's not grounded or shorted and puts out the correct voltages etc by itself without a regulator on it, I wouldn't just slap a new regulator on it. I would physically inspect the lead going to the battery and 40 amp breaker. In the case something has pinched a wire and it is intermittently grounding itself and burning itself free. Check the 40 amp breaker itself to be sure it hasn't failed in some way mechanically and there are loose pieces in there, etc. OR a piece of metal road debris ended across one terminal then burned itself clear. Only when I was sure there was no damaged wiring down stream of the regulator would I put a new one in. That wiring got really hot which means it was overloaded somehow. Hopefully it was just an internal short in the regulator that did it and it wasn't enough to take the stator with it.

Let's hope it's the latter eh.

very good advice, will check all of the above.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let's hope it's the latter eh.

very good advice, will check all of the above.
Alrighty then....

Thank goodness the Stator appears to check out good.

Got 0.4 ohms across each winding and no shorts to ground :wink

At 1000rpm (idle) each output shows 24vac and at 2000rpm each output shows 51vac. Seems i may have got away with replacing the Stator.

Whipped the Battery off for a trickle charge and some load testing.

Will check all wiring thoroughly before fitting the new reg and carry out tests as per the service manual and report back.

Cheers all

·
12,970 Posts
whooshbang

say there is a member here Halfcrazy he had regulator problems and went to a universal regulator. He had to wire it in.
So find him and ask him what he did

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whooshbang

say there is a member here Halfcrazy he had regulator problems and went to a universal regulator. He had to wire it in.
So find him and ask him what he did
The thought had crossed my mind regarding another regulator. I have a very similar one on the 1400 intruder but one is on order from Polaris EU now so i will take it on the chin and move on.

thanks for the suggestion though. will bare it in mind for the future

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
This a brand new bike or a used one? I would have thought that the warranty should have covered that. I can ship across the pond FYI.
Had to go hunting back through your posts to find your location "across the pond"
May be a good idea to fill out your signature with your bike details and location for future reference on matters.
Wondering about the 2000 mile on an 09 model, you don't get the chance to ride much?

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Bike is 8-9 years old with no miles on it, letting a bike sit with out preparing it for storage is the worst thing we see here, I mean just today a customer brought in a 2006 V-Star 1100 with 2100 on the clock, it has a list of stuff that is just falling apart on it, said they rode it that year that it was bought and then it sat in the cornor of a barn, not a garage, a barn, unheated and with animals.....I don't know if we can save it or if its worth saving...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have just bought the bike, literally 12 days ago and i intend of putting in the miles believe me. It has been stored well though in the past, the bike is immaculate with no corrosion whatsoever. its practically in showroom condition. I would not expect a sealed unit such as the regulator to fail as a result of standing for a while either, but wiring may have so i will be investigating the looms and main current carrying cables thoroughly.

Location added to my profile:wink

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seem to be getting nowhere trying to source a replacement genuine regulator/rectifier here in the UK. Both part numbers have been discontinued so quite what the replacement is i do not know..... any suggestions/recommendations for a suitable replacement?

Bike has been off the road for a month now.... it's hurting!

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
ouch .... sorry to hear that mate ... I thought the regulator were quite easy to get ??
then again I buy everything in the U$A and ship it to Indonesia .

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts