Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new vic owner here , havnt had a bike for 20 years love my bike but it seems loud when shifting , is it common or is it just me ,help

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1 to diamondrmp
Had an '02 V92C. I believe Polaris installed the Freedom engine beginning in '02 to "quiet" the clunking from earlier models but still clunked. Just consider the clunking as "character".

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just bought a 2001 last week myself.

It also goes CLUNK....but seems to shift just fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What year did they fix the noisy shifting? I'm looking at getting an '03 - '05 TC, so would the tranny upgrade be something I should ask the seller about?

·
Registered
352 Posts
my first 01 and my current 01 were the same... shift into first and it sounds like someone hitting a piece of plate steel with pool cue, but upshifting from there isn't so bad IMHO. One thing that I've noticed is on a fresh oil change it is alot smoother, and as the oil gets older, it gets louder.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
What year did they fix the noisy shifting? I'm looking at getting an '03 - '05 TC, so would the tranny upgrade be something I should ask the seller about?
Your fine Tuck. 03 and up Freedom's are good. Now VIC is a little louder on the clunk maybe and as you approach your 2500-3000 mile oil change you will notice neutral is a little harder to find as well as stiffer shifting but nothing to worry about. 04 and up has a better mono shock than the 03 I am told if you have two sitting side by side. What would make a differnce that you might want to ask about is the ECM flash (stage 1??), your exhaust and if the stock air box is still installed vs not. A stage 1 flash with level 1 pipes and a K&N in the stock box is about as good as you can get in performance and still maintianing some resemblance of a not so loud ride. PM me if you have questions. Im not THE expert but I have had my 04 about 10 months now and been in these forums deep!

Good luck! Tim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok, thanks, Tim, that's good to know. I have been reading that a stage one kit is a desired upgrade so I'm hoping to find one that already has that.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ive seen some really good prices on some 04/05 TCs in the past few months. What a machine! So much you can do with it. I am very happy I bought it over the HD's I was eyeballin. I just rolled over 10k since I bought it and I change the oil at 2500ish and plugs at 5k. Maybe overkill but what the heck, if Im taking them out to inspect them Im changing them.. lol.. Worst headache I had was the turn signals and I just swapped out the stock plastichrome for some nice fat HD chrome and they are sweet. Keep us posted on your search and purchase. Say no to the Pin.. lol.. we need more TC owners here... lol..cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, really the only attraction with the KP so far is the fact that I test-rode one last weekend at the local Vic dealer when the Vic factory truck was there (see my new avatar). It was a sweet ride and sold me on the idea of going with a Vic. It does have the advantage of the six-speed tranny over the TC and it seems like that would come in handy on my occasional trips across the state to Spokane to visit family. However, I am hoping someone will convince me the TC does just fine on the freeway in 5th...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Oh, a new KP.. Well that ups the anty.. lol...

Convince you that the TC does well with it's 5speed? Well, I just so happened to have finshed a 1000 mile ride in 19hours a couple weeks with 3 other riders and the only problem you will have with 5th is not going 85 in a 65 because its just that great of a ride and the engine loves 3000-3200 rpms but does not mind creeping up to 3500+ for that great song that comes on and gets your blood pumping. The bike rides great and RPM at 75 is about 3k to 3200 I thik. If your really sweting the highway and this 5speed, you can put an OD pulley on the drive side for about 300 bucks. I havent done it yet, just havent got around to it but there is PLENTY of folks that have. Gives you 1-4 more usable range in town and hit the 5th at 55-60 and letter roll with a lower RPM. I will tell you that I havent made it a priority yet because the bike does well at 75 avg for me about 37mpg depending on how I crack the throttle. If I start pushing 80 then I do see about 30-32 mpg quickly which is where the OD pulley would come in dropping you about 200 RPM they say. If you want the stats on the OD pulley I can dig it up. I like the KP, don't get me wrong but after putting some miles on this TC I am VERY happey highway or city. Power plant, ride and looks. A great machine for the price and any buffeting can easily be dealt with with fork lowers for under 100 bucks.

Yea, I am pro TC bro.. lol...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh, a new KP.. Well that ups the anty.. lol...
Well, a new one is not in the cards, but if a nice deal for an '06 - '07 came along I'd definitely consider it. Thing is, the TC comes stock with everything I want apart from the sixer tranny. Nice large bags (smaller on the KP), pipes on either side instead of both on the right, passenger floorboards, crash bars, hiway pegs, it's got it all. But a KP at the right price and I could just add most of that stuff from the Vic accessory store, so we'll just have to see what turns up during my daily scans of ebay, Craig's List, etc.

Yea, I am pro TC bro.. lol...
Yep, I can tell. cheers Suspect I will get there myself and can't freaking wait to find my bike. And thanks for the comments on highway riding and the tip on the OD pulley. First I've heard of it, but I've just started reading through the forums here.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
And thanks for the comments on highway riding and the tip on the OD pulley. First I've heard of it, but I've just started reading through the forums here.
If that time comes along I have his contact info for the pulley. I bought my TC used at 22k and it had a Garmin Nuvi 550 on it, great little GPS and I added a JM2000 CB/Intercom for 2up. Other than that just accesorizing. Keep your eye on cycletrader.com also. Good luck and feel free to post any other questions or PM me.

This board is a great forum with a great group of folks that have alot of knowledge. Hope you get your ride soon!

Tim

·
Registered
65 Posts
If that time comes along I have his contact info for the pulley. I bought my TC used at 22k and it had a Garmin Nuvi 550 on it, great little GPS and I added a JM2000 CB/Intercom for 2up. Other than that just accesorizing. Keep your eye on cycletrader.com also. Good luck and feel free to post any other questions or PM me.

This board is a great forum with a great group of folks that have alot of knowledge. Hope you get your ride soon!

Tim
Thanks, Tim. Me too! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 03 V92TC

I ride every weekend in SoCal, a mixture of twisties and freeway. I like pushing it in the twisties trying to keep up with the sporties so I don't think the pulley change would be for me. On the freeway I like 75 to 85, 5th gear is fine, just as Tims said. The TC is pretty much everything I wanted, especially the price; I did not want to spend Harley money on old technology. My only complaint is some of the freeway bumpy bends get too bouncy and hairy at 75. Only got 10k miles but gotta do something about the shocks. Happy Huntin!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ever scrape those floorboards, Jimmy? I hear that can sometimes be a problem when taking corners too fast.

And how does the engine sound in 5th at 75-85?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ever scrape those floorboards, Jimmy?

Very rare, really gotta be pushin it superbike style and startling as hell! But they have brass tabs and push up if it occurs so no worries.

And how does the engine sound in 5th at 75-85?
3200-3500 sounds perfect. 65/3000 sounds/feels boring to me. But I have a hankering for a SV1000S at the moment so... (mid-age crisis and all that babble I suppose; or just a need for speed).

I dropped it once making a u turn on a steep narrow hill (that was going nowhere)cheers, forgot about the weight shift with wife on back. I thought the bag was going to be crushed but absolutely no damage, barely scratched the roll bar; pretty heavy.

This is a great bike. Noisy tranny, steel toes seemed to help get a more positive shift. Handles much nicer than any Harley I've ever ridden, bags hold more than I need. Seat kinda sucks; don't want to spend extra though unless a long run is in the plans. Highly recommended scoot!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Heh, I hear ya on the need for speed and you can't go wrong with an SV, which is why I'm planning to keep mine even after the Vic arrives. I have a blast on my 650 and I'd imagine the 1000 is twice the fun. Too bad Suzuki quit making those bikes.

Good to hear about the floorboards not really being an issue. I'm not that aggressive, even on my SV, so I'm not going to worry about it. Interesting that your tranny is noisy and Tim was saying the '03 - '05 bikes were improved from the earlier bikes. I wonder if the '04-'05 bikes got any better. I'm still scanning for the right deal along with scraping these forum threads for info, but I think I'm getting closer to finding my bike. It's out there somewhere just waiting for me to find it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts