Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is great

I'm glad that you guys have forum for Victory biker. I have 2000 v92sc. Having trouble with it stalling from time to time...

Matt
Baltimore, MD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hi,
I bought my bike last fall and it has only approximately 20k miles (thanks to odometer being reset).... I don't know if it has problem before since the clutch cable broke before I got the chance to ride it. After replacing the clutch cable (including removing gas tank and putting it back on), my bike has trouble with jerking periodically..It felt more of like trouble with oxygen and gas mixture. Sometime it would run smoothly. Other time, it would jerk or backfire.
I took it to the Victory dealer nearby and they tried to fixed it. They basically told me that it's common problem with any bike before 2002 and there's nothing we can do about it but to sell it.

Any suggestion I can do?

Matt
2000 Victory v92sc

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Hi,
I bought my bike last fall and it has only approximately 20k miles (thanks to odometer being reset).... I don't know if it has problem before since the clutch cable broke before I got the chance to ride it. After replacing the clutch cable (including removing gas tank and putting it back on), my bike has trouble with jerking periodically..It felt more of like trouble with oxygen and gas mixture. Sometime it would run smoothly. Other time, it would jerk or backfire.
I took it to the Victory dealer nearby and they tried to fixed it. They basically told me that it's common problem with any bike before 2002 and there's nothing we can do about it but to sell it.

Any suggestion I can do?

Matt
2000 Victory v92sc
Did you clean the throttle bodies?

·
13,235 Posts
Sounds like you might have a air leak. When running spray some cleaner up around the throttle body and see if the idle changes. If it does you have a air leak

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Does the Hammer engine have those vacuum caps on the right of the throttle bodies like the Freedom 92 has I wonder. I would get that sputter before I found one of those vacuum caps cracked. I ask as you said you changed the clutch cable and on the freedom engine those vacuum ports about about 2" away from the routing of my clutch cable (04 TC) right about at the mid cable adjustment point.

You should be able to see up in there without pulling the tank, one on each TB, facing rear, about 1" long above and behind the clutch cable adjustment if in fact the Hammer engine has those ports. I can post a pic of mine to see if it's similar, sorry that I am not familiar with the SC configuration. Im with Crossroads and Vissionjohnny, Vacuum leak. I don't buy into the we can't fix it, sell it at all.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Welcome, you joined the right group!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you clean the throttle bodies?
Sounds like you might have a air leak. When running spray some cleaner up around the throttle body and see if the idle changes. If it does you have a air leak
Air leak on 2000 v92sc? what kind of spray are you talking about? I'm novice when it comes to repairing bike.. Where is the throttle body locate at? Underneath the tank?

Matt
2000 V92SC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the Hammer engine have those vacuum caps on the right of the throttle bodies like the Freedom 92 has I wonder. I would get that sputter before I found one of those vacuum caps cracked. I ask as you said you changed the clutch cable and on the freedom engine those vacuum ports about about 2" away from the routing of my clutch cable (04 TC) right about at the mid cable adjustment point.

You should be able to see up in there without pulling the tank, one on each TB, facing rear, about 1" long above and behind the clutch cable adjustment if in fact the Hammer engine has those ports. I can post a pic of mine to see if it's similar, sorry that I am not familiar with the SC configuration. Im with Crossroads and Vissionjohnny, Vacuum leak. I don't buy into the we can't fix it, sell it at all.
It's not Hammer... It's 2000 v92sc... I'm not sure where I can locate those vacuum caps.

I was disappointed to hear when they basically said they can't fix it.
So I agree with you about "we can't fix it , sell it"

Matt

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It's not Hammer... It's 2000 v92sc... I'm not sure where I can locate those vacuum caps.

I was disappointed to hear when they basically said they can't fix it.
So I agree with you about "we can't fix it , sell it"

Matt
Here is a little info from Colorado Ex I read which in turn stands true. The designation of "Hammer" as the original V92 engine fell into disuse due to confusion with THE HAMMER which is an awesome looking ride (S my pick of course and I will own one, one day).
There is a distinct difference between the original ('99-01) engines and the Freedom ('02-up) 92ci / 5 speed engines; I think that the big bore kits may be different depending upon the engine model, so you will want to check what engine / year the kit is designed to fit.
early engines used an ECU which took a replacement chip, not a download; Victory offered an "off-road" chip as part of the Stage 1 kit, and there are also aftermarket chips available.

The '02 engines were a bit of a hybrid, as I understand; some items on it are specific to '02, some parts are shared with the early engines, but it is mostly the '03-up Freedom engine. The '02-up 92/5 Freedom engines are an easy install into an earlier bike; a little adaptation is needed, but nothing major or difficult.

I don't know specifically when the transition from chip replacement to the download happened, though - I would suspect with the '02 or '03 model year, but don't know for certain.

As a bit of trivia, the original engines were called "Hammer" engines at the time - that designation has fallen into disuse due to the potential confusion with the Hammer model bike
So, that said, I was referring to your model engine, not bike, as my TC is a Freedom V92 and the TB vacuum ports COULD be different. Anyway, I still say vacuum leak... :) Now get out there and start trouble shooting your engine... If your not sure when to find them on your bike I will take a photo to try to give you an idea. Replacement of them is simple when the tank is off if in fact that is the problem. Available at Advance auto. hehe

Tim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a little info from Colorado Ex I read which in turn stands true. The designation of "Hammer" as the original V92 engine fell into disuse due to confusion with THE HAMMER which is an awesome looking ride (S my pick of course and I will own one, one day).

So, that said, I was referring to your model engine, not bike, as my TC is a Freedom V92 and the TB vacuum ports COULD be different. Anyway, I still say vacuum leak... :) Now get out there and start trouble shooting your engine... If your not sure when to find them on your bike I will take a photo to try to give you an idea. Replacement of them is simple when the tank is off if in fact that is the problem. Available at Advance auto. hehe

Tim
Thanks for the information. I'll try to see if i can find it. In the meantime, could you send me the photo to give me an idea? Again, thanks for sharing this article.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just discovered that air box was slightly open cuz the top bolt came out with the cylinder that function like "nut" so I put the cylinder back in the air box and secured it then closed it. However I can see that the air filter is a bit wet. You can feel a bit "oily" feeling on the rubber part around the filter. I'm not sure if that's normal. would that contribute to the original problem i'm talking about?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just discovered that air box was slightly open cuz the top bolt came out with the cylinder that function like "nut" so I put the cylinder back in the air box and secured it then closed it. However I can see that the air filter is a bit wet. You can feel a bit "oily" feeling on the rubber part around the filter. I'm not sure if that's normal. would that contribute to the original problem i'm talking about?
I don't think so. Looks like you have a K&N air filter. Also some of the sputtering might be caused by the throttl positioning sensor, try to reset it and see what happens. You can find the info about how to reset in the tech forum.

·
Registered
91 Posts
At the risk of complicating your troubleshooting by adding another thing to check...

When the bike is running rough, check your system voltage... If the electrical system is low on voltage, the ECU gets really flaky, causing rough running. We're talking ~11.5 volts or less here; the voltmeter function of the multi-function display is adequate for this check.

I know the '99s came with only a 24 amp (or so) alternator; one of the "must-do" upgrades is to put in the later 38 amp alternator / regulator package. I don't know off-hand what the 2000 model year bikes came with, though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Unfortunately I agree with everything said here! I picked up my second '01 v92c this year and did a ton of troubleshooting on it. Mine started and idled fine, ran like a champ on the highway, but at about 25-40 mph it spat and sputtered and back fired, like it was starving. Did my research here, and pulled the tank, cleaned the throttle bodies, then changed the TPS. It ended up being the TPS, and with the age/miles your bike has I'd say it's due.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts