Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a bike after not riding for 20 years. I would dearly love to get a Kingpin but unfortunately this is not in my budget at this time. I am seriously looking at a 2001 V92C and would like to get information from anyone that currently owns one or has owned one in the past. Any information you could provide to help me decide if this is the bike for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Rob

·
Registered
579 Posts
Rob,
There is a V92 forum here. There may be some good info for you there.

I ride a Cross Country so I don't have any info to help you, just wanted to say Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately you can only post in the new members section until you've made 5 posts. Its an anti spam measure. At least its only 5 posts.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Welcome to the forums Rob. I think if you do get a Vic you will gain a wealth of knowledge here. Great group of folks with alot of info.

I have an 04 V92TC so it does have the newer tranny and I have read that was a headache prior to the 03 I think but I think it was noise more than mechanical. Someone else may be able to chime in. With the regards to the wet clutch, everything said here seems to be true. Closer to 2500 I got, more noticiable it was. I stick with the VIC oil/filter just because.

I will say that I think you would be very happy with the bike with regards to handling and power. Huge amount of little things available to do to improve looks/performance without breaking the bank. The ride itself is excellent, I was very impressed how well the bike rode on I95 at 75+ and that it didnt wear you out. Of course the windscreen helps me which you wont have. The things I like about the bike the most besides it's handling is it's lines and sound. Got a great rumble so it's not the HD sound (which I am very ok with) and when you crack the throttle it sounds powerful where it turns heads.

I wound getting my much like you, budget was driving what I could look at but now I am VERY glad I got what I did. Love this bike! Ridinman is right, V92 forum has some good info. Looking forward to seeing you posting there after you pick up yours... Take care
Tim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim,

Thanks for the info. In your opinion, should I be looking at an 03+ model instead? I have test driven a 2002 V92C Deluxe and while I liked the way it handled and the power it had, there was a noticeable "clunk" every time I shifted gears. I found the same on the Kingpins I test rode, just not to the same extent. The dealr said this was due to the gears in the tramsmision and I just want to make sure this is normal.

Thanks
Rob

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Tim,

Thanks for the info. In your opinion, should I be looking at an 03+ model instead? I have test driven a 2002 V92C Deluxe and while I liked the way it handled and the power it had, there was a noticeable "clunk" every time I shifted gears. I found the same on the Kingpins I test rode, just not to the same extent. The dealr said this was due to the gears in the tramsmision and I just want to make sure this is normal.

Thanks
Rob
Rob, I got a 2002 V92C Deluxe Cruiser. I have really enjoyed it. I recently got a new XCT. It is great also. The old bikes do have a noisy tranny but they are faithful. I think if you buy from '02 up you will be OK. I think all the tranny problems were solved from there up and also has the Freedom engine. I have put 20000 miles on the '02 with no problems other than required maintanence and few light bulbs. Still ride it regularly. What part of the country are you in??

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Nah, I wouldn't be dismissing a V92C before 03 at all. I was only trying to say they were noisier from what I heard but my 04 also has a solid shift (hate the word clunk) between gears and I will say while it did stick out when I first got the bike I don't even notice it now. Did want to clear up what I said on the 2500 as miles btwn oil change. All of this is written in many reviews and I really think it is more nit picking than anything. Just my opinion. Just like comments about the grabby clutch you might find or that the TC is slightly top heavy. All personal opinion. I know my clutch needs 30 seconds engaged after start up and it smooths out so, no big deal.

As for the 02TC you rode, if it has good maintenance records and price is right roll it! I do not see how you could be disappointed with this series bike.... There is one thing I have found common from these forums is that the V92's were built solid and I am VERY glad I went this route! As I was coming home today all I can say is "Man, I love this bike!" and just like RichardL, if I do pick something up newer I really do not see this bike going up for sale. It is a pleasure to ride. Im in Chesapeake Va (eastern seaboard) if your out this way somewhere. Hope to see a pic of your Vic soon! lol... Take care

·
Registered
755 Posts
V92 BEFORE 03 MODELS HAVE A TRANSMISSION RECALL THEY HAVE A FATAL FLAW AND IF THE PROPER FIX IS NOT DONE IT IS GOING TO FAIL SOON OR LATER AD IT'S GOING TO COST SEVERAL THOUSANDS TO FIX.
OK enough with the caps. :D
Just make sure that bike you are looking at has the recall repair done.
Good luck with the hunt. cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the information. I am up in the Interior of BC, Canada so riding season is done until the spring, no snow yet but unfortunately it will be here soon :( I want to ensure I am ready to go as soon as spring is here in 2012. Will let you know what I decide on.

Rob

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
V92 BEFORE 03 MODELS HAVE A TRANSMISSION RECALL THEY HAVE A FATAL FLAW AND IF THE PROPER FIX IS NOT DONE IT IS GOING TO FAIL SOON OR LATER AD IT'S GOING TO COST SEVERAL THOUSANDS TO FIX.
OK enough with the caps. :D
Just make sure that bike you are looking at has the recall repair done.
Good luck with the hunt. cheers
From my understanding the tranny recalls were on 99 thru 2001. No tranny recalls on my '02 according to Victory.........I have been wrong before tho....20000 miles on mine and no problem.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thank you everyone for the information. I am up in the Interior of BC, Canada so riding season is done until the spring, no snow yet but unfortunately it will be here soon :( I want to ensure I am ready to go as soon as spring is here in 2012. Will let you know what I decide on.

Rob
Lookin forward to your followup Rob. Would like to see more of the older TC action around here just to compare and bounce ideas. Im already lining up my winter mod's when the ice/snow does arrive. Hopefully it wont last long (south eastern VA) so want to be ready to take mine down for maintenance and be back in the saddle when it clears. Any way you slice it, glad to see another VIC owner coming in.. hehe Talk to you soon.
Tim cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Transmission upgrade

Thank you everyone for the information you have sent so far. I read through the V92 forum and have researced on-line but still can not get a clear answer to what model years of the V92 needed the transmission upgrade. Some sources say only 99/00 while others also include 01/02. If anyone can clarify this for me that would be great.

Thanks again for all the info so far
Rob

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thank you everyone for the information you have sent so far. I read through the V92 forum and have researced on-line but still can not get a clear answer to what model years of the V92 needed the transmission upgrade. Some sources say only 99/00 while others also include 01/02. If anyone can clarify this for me that would be great.

Thanks again for all the info so far
Rob
Well I did some digging as I didnt have much to do at work the last couple hours and here is what I found, even though I have heard the same thing as Bad V V, I would think maybe if it isnt a VIC dealer that you said the bike was at, you might take it to one for a mechanical inspection prior to buying.

Your first post was an 01 V92C. Here is the link to the best all around "one stop" list of NHTSA recalls I could find with the tranny Recall ID number 21323. Here is the link to all 2001 V92C listed on their sight which I believe is linked from NHTSA. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/09/2001/victory/v92c/index.html Note I did see a post that had the same recall # but it was posted as 2003 which may have lead to the grouping of the 02's into the problem. I think if NHTSA was going to expand it there would be a new number assigned.

Now later you posted you rode the 02 V92C Deluxe which only shows 2 fuel system recalls and again that is from the above listed web site that seemed to be pretty up to date from the spot checks I did. Reading a couple sites there is a tag on the bikes batt cover that should list recalls but I dont "recall" seeing one on mine so I would take that with a grain of salt. here is the link to the 02V92C Deluxe cruiser recall. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/09/2002/victory/v92c_deluxe_cruiser/index.html

Here is the link to NHTSA for your on research http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm but what is odd is I don't see the tranny recall. Im sticking with motorcyclistonline which is what I have used in the past.

If someone else has the recall link showing the 02 needs the tranny recall that would be great as now I don't have 100% faith in NHTSA. Hope this gives some peace of mind... Keep us posted and let us know what you do. Thats it for me, hope thise gives you something else to work with... :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tim,

Thank you very much, just did a quick skim through tonight but will read in detail tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help
Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made a decision and bought a bike

I wanted to thank everyone for all your input and help. I have bought a 2005 Kingpin and am making arrangements next week to have it shipped to me. It will be tough having it in the garage knowing I won't be able to ride until March (if real lucky) or April, but at least it will be here ready to ride as soon as the weather gets nice again.

Thanks again and hopefully see you on the highway . . . . :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wanted to thank everyone for all your input and help. I have bought a 2005 Kingpin and am making arrangements next week to have it shipped to me. It will be tough having it in the garage knowing I won't be able to ride until March (if real lucky) or April, but at least it will be here ready to ride as soon as the weather gets nice again.

Thanks again and hopefully see you on the highway . . . . :)
Congrats !! There was some incorrect info in this thread, regarding the old bikes. That 01 is rock solid and while there were early life failures with the 99 and 00 models there never was a recall. Poalaris eventually offered a temp deal where they paid for half the parts, the other half and all labor was on the owner.

jb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts