Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 vegas. It was running great then quit. I put new plugs and battery and cleaned the throttle body. Will run when I put carb cleaner then it dies. It has 2250 mile. It sat for a while in a garage of the person I bought it from. It just got a new oil change about 100 miles ago. Was running good. Right before it did not start it was sputtering and backfiring. Is it the fuel pump or fuel filter. Need some help please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How long was it running well before this happened? How long did it sit without being ran? If the gas is old or a mix of old and new just dump all the old gas first and foremost, 2250 miles on a 10 year old bike is pretty damn low. If it starts with carb cleaner it's likely a fuel issue(which you seem to already know). I'm new to vics myself but I would replace the fuel filter and maybe run some seafoam through it with a tank of fresh gas(assuming you can get it going to do that). Hopefully someone that's more knowledgeable about vic's chimes in. Best of luck to ya. :D

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
Try a manual TPS reset

Key on, switch on, engine off
Slow 5 count rotate throttle from closed to wide open
Hold throttle wide open for slow 5 count
Let throttle SNAP shut/closed
Cycle kill switch (off then on)
Start bike, and enjoy the ride

If this doesn't do it the dealer may have to do it with the Digital Wrench only they have.

·
13,180 Posts
Do a fuel pump test. Most auto parts store have a tester you can rent. You should have 50psi any thing less and pump is bad.
The Vic shop rebuilds them cheaper then a new one.
http://thevicshop.com/

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
Do a fuel pump test. Most auto parts store have a tester you can rent. You should have 50psi any thing less and pump is bad.
The Vic shop rebuilds them cheaper then a new one.
http://thevicshop.com/
Good call VJ. I was kinda tired when I posted the TPS reset suggestion. I should have read the OP's post a little better.

Yes. Sounds like a fuel issue. Pump not working properly or filter clogged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried this today but no luck. It will not start

Try a manual TPS reset

Key on, switch on, engine off
Slow 5 count rotate throttle from closed to wide open
Hold throttle wide open for slow 5 count
Let throttle SNAP shut/closed
Cycle kill switch (off then on)
Start bike, and enjoy the ride

If this doesn't do it the dealer may have to do it with the Digital Wrench only they have.

·
13,180 Posts
screw on the gauge turn on key push button for say 15 seconds.
Do it twice to get good reading then call the Vic shop
.if it will run while you spray in carb cleaner then the pump is not pumping

·
13,180 Posts
Jbudfish

BBOB that has answered this post has a link for service manuals click on it and find yours down load to your computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 11 of 11 Posts