Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 kingpin is backfiring a lot, the check engine light was on and a friend told me about the electric connection on the front of the bike at the base of the frame, he said the connection could be off. So I cleaned it and bent the three prongs slightly a and re connected it. Check engine light was still on, so I disconnected the battery for a minute then reconnected the battery, light went off but still backfires. Anyone have a suggestion?

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
My 2004 kingpin is backfiring a lot, the check engine light was on and a friend told me about the electric connection on the front of the bike at the base of the frame, he said the connection could be off. So I cleaned it and bent the three prongs slightly a and re connected it. Check engine light was still on, so I disconnected the battery for a minute then reconnected the battery, light went off but still backfires. Anyone have a suggestion?
There's a whole lot of things that would cause this... but for starters:
Exhaust gaskets leaking at the heads
Intake leak (throttle body adaptor, vacuum caps)
Lean mixture

The bike is old. The rubber stuff like the intake between the throttle body and the heads (throttle body adaptor) vacuum lines, fuel lines, hoses, grommets... all that stuff is suspect since it's 10 years old. I replaced all the rubber stuff on my 2006 this year and it needed it.

It's a good idea to change the fork oil and the brake fluid... along with spark plugs, air filter, and throttle body cleaning.

·
Registered
207 Posts
May have bad o-rings on the fuel injectors.Spray around your injectors with some WD40 while the bike is running. if the rpm changes you got a bad o-ring. Had a bad one on mine along with the tb gooseneck starting to dry rot crack. I also had the fuel line split on me and took a gas bath on my leg while riding.Probably real lucky it shot to the left side as I pictured myself goin up in flames if it went on the exhaust. Since we are constantly removing the tank to clean the tb replacing the fuel line is a no brainer. The vacuum caps were all cracked on mine too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ya my Hammer did that recently in the morning. I cleaned the TBs and replaced the TPS. Doesn't backfire and she can finally idle, but man, it runs and sounds like an old Harley. Definitely something is wrong. SHe has less than 5k miles on her.

I'll try the above suggestions too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ya my Hammer did that recently in the morning. I cleaned the TBs and replaced the TPS. Doesn't backfire and she can finally idle, but man, it runs and sounds like an old Harley. Definitely something is wrong. SHe has less than 5k miles on her.

I'll try the above suggestions too.
You will have to have to recalibrate the tps. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise. Dealer told me all you have to do is disconnect the speedometer for 30 minutes. Though the Vic manual shows a complicated procedure for the reset, this seemed to do the trick for my bike as it runs much smoother when I did this. You also may want to check the battery voltage, bike off, believe it should be 12.5 v minimum. Check those vacuum line rubber caps (2 - right side) notorious for cracking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts