Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 04 kingpin last month. It has a stage one kit installed according to the dealer. The bike runs great at highway speeds but in town it sputters. It doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in. The dealer said it does it because it was remapped for highway speeds. Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
No.It should run ok at all speeds. I would start by checking the throttlebodies, my Kingpin runs rough when they get dirty. It also causes it to run rich, which eventually fouls plugs. Check fuel pressure too. If it does have a map that causes that, then you need the correct map.

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
A couple of possibilities are the throttle bodies need cleaning (most likely it) or the TPS needs to be reset by the dealer with the Digital Wrench.

Oops. Just repeating what Tarzan said. Some people set the idle a little higher to get by until they can clean the TB's.

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
OK guys thanks. I'm going to call the dealership and see if they can correct the problem. I've only had the bike a month.
Let us know how it goes please. Also, if you can, please list your state in your profile. Where you live sometimes matters when considering questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a 2004 with the stage 1 as well and it sounds like the same issue I had. Mine started to sputter and would die occasionally at a red light. Had to keep throttle to it to keep it running. It ran ok though, but it was running a bit lean. A buddy I ride with said he would see it kick out some black smoke when I got on the throttle. From what I have read here and other sites I decided to try cleaning the throttle body. I am not the worlds' best mechanic and I was a little hesitant to do it myself, but it was pretty easy and made a big difference. The bike runs much better now.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Plenty of info on "How to" on here PLUS remember to run that tank down to 1.5 gallon or so. Easier to remove and install!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts