Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings one and all,

I hadn't been on for a while since my bike's been away for the winter, but brought it out this week and started getting ready for when the snow melts...

One of my plans was to purchase a new battery for this year and I did. However, when I turn my bike on, the "Ch Eng" flashes every 5 or 6 seconds. Spoke to someone at my local Victory dealer today (service department had already closed) and he said that if everything was working properly (engine, signals, lights, etc.) then it was "most likely" a computer signal about a weak battery (yes, I admit...I did try starting her with the old battery just to see if she'd kick over, it didn't).

Is there a way to clear the "Ch Eng" without having to schedule time with my dealer's service department to use their scanner/decoder? Obviously, I'll have it serviced if the flashing continues, but I'd like to be sure that I absolutely NEED to schedule time with them as my work schedule doesn't fit well with their hours of operation (hate leaving the bike anywhere unless absolutely necessary).....

Any advice will be more than welcome. . . .

·
Registered
361 Posts
CHK ENG will continue flashing until the issue triggering it is resolved-that is how you or the dealer will clear it. Dealer has the capability of reading/clearing the failure codes to point them in the right direction. There are 4 things that will set it off-Injectors, wiring problems, ECM, & sensors. You can check the sensors, there are 5: Throttle Position, Crank Position, MAP, Air Temp, & Oil Temp. If the bike is running well it could be something as simple as a loose wire on the oil temp sensor-make sure all you sensor connection are clean and well connected.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
mine was traced by the Vic computer to the engine temp sender at the rear of the front cylinder white plastic connector.
I cleared it a few times myself by cycling the kill switch and other times by cycling the ignition key
ON ten seconds OFF ten seconds ON ten seconds OFF ten seconds
Five or six times and it may clear....worth a try!
You can check all the possibilities but there's quite a few.
A Vic-puter will nail it instantly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts