Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm a new rider, other than riding a dirt bike a few times many years ago, and I just recently purchased my first bike. It is a 2004 Touring Cruiser, and I'm riding it every chance I get and loving it. I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks and I've really been impressed with the quality of posts and people here.

I've got a question about a noise I'm hearing when I ride and whether it is normal or not. I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. It is a little difficult to describe, but it is essentially a whining noise that is just noticeable. It seems to occur only when the RPMs are around 2400-2500. Lower or higher than that and it goes away. I've hear it in all five gears consistently.

The bike appears to have been well cared for to the best of my knowledge. The original owner only ran Amsoil and changed it at least once a year. It currently has just over 27K miles on it. Any suggestions on what this noise may be or whether it is normal? Being my first ride, I have no idea what sounds are normal or not. Any replies appreciated!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Welcome Tlav and congrats on your purcahse. Get a few more posts up (5 I think it still is) and you can start posting in other forums. Glad to see another TC owner jumping in the game and on the forum.

It is hard to put a finger on what your whine is via text, I know the tranny has it's sound which I believe is more due to the engineering of the engine/tranny as well as it's clunk when you shift, etc. If it's constant in all 5 and not soundbing abnoxious I would think your fine as I have rarely read anything catastrophic on this tranny the time I have been here. Read the other two recent posts in the V92 on Trannys for a couple things to look for.

As for the oil, I am not going to comment what type or weight but I do know that around 2500 (as it is recommended) my 04 gets a bit stiff to shift, harder to find neutral and you know when you hit first. From what read, this is all normal. It may even be a bit noisyer. I stick with 2500 mile oil/filter changes, have had no issues at all with over 11K since I picked the bike up last Sep. The only thing I would recommend is stick to the oil change interval for a couple and see what happens.

KevinX may have a comment that could provide further guidance, this is all I have for ya. Keep us posted, update your garage with a pic or two, the Show your TC thread, and signature with bike and location so folks know what you got. Take care and safe riding.

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast response and information. I know the last oil change was this past February just before I bought the bike. I've ridden around 2K miles since then. I've just got to find a good shop in the area due to my lack of knowledge. I'm in central NC, near the Greensboro area. I don't yet have the ability to add a signature, photos, and such yet. Guess I need to do a little more posting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts