Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thought i would start posting pics of my progress so far. I picked this Hammer up last summer, in the pics and from a distance, it doesn't look bad, but up close it was seriously neglected.

Brief history:
-Bought the bike last May from a guy who pretty much left it outside it's entire life. I picked it up for $4k and it only had 3200 miles on it. Cosmetically, it was hideous. Lots of chrome was either peeling off or already corroded pretty bad. Both tires were dry rotted, fork seals blown, throttle cables rusted solid, gas tank cap lock broken, gas tank full of rust and water, fuel pump seized, rear sproket corroded, all but 1 turn signal inop, seat weathered, rusty bolts everywhere, wheels oxidized and stained, exhaust had rust holes through the piping and the list goes on.

-I fixed it up to be road worthy since i had a 90 mile round trip commute to work. Now after returning from deployment, i am to the point i am going to be painting it within the next couple weeks. I have an Arlen Ness Bob Dron fairing on the way, a Kingpin fender for the front and will continue with dressing it up after the paint.

-I installed a Bandit seat, Avon grips, new controls, 2" forward controls, Kewl Metal pop up gas cap, new (used) tank, Arlen Ness mirrors and pegs, 1.5" drag bars with 5.5" swept back risers, LED turn signal kit, Stage 1 kit, new (used) rear sprocket, had the fuel pump rebuilt, polished out the wheels, new tires and the list continues.

Here are some pics from start to finish and more pics still to come. Let me know your thoughts.

Bringing it home.

Front turn signals broken and inop.

Corroded and worn out controls, grips and mirror.

Corroded instruments, cluster mount and handlebars.

Broken gas cap, rusted and weathered tank.

Blown fork seals, corroded lower fork ends.

Rusted out gas tank.

Added saddle bags, replaced the tank, mirros, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(continued)

Front view with new mirrors, grips, controls, turn signals, etc.

New drag bars.

Skull addition

More pics to come. Planning on painting the bike and doing a quick tear down to paint other pieces over the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lookin good! Nice to see it brought back to life.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Looks like quite a project , looking good so far !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get it all painted up and done. I get some weird looks riding it around as it looks now.

I was thinking about trying to get the engine blacked out like the newer Vic's over the winter. Anyone know where or how i would go about doing that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd like to know that too. Like everything about my bike other than the grey engine...just looks a little off. Wondering if a high temp engine paint would hold up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
lookin good

Lookin real good, and the weathers just right out right now. And I was pretty jealous when I saw you scoop up that fairing this morning before I saw the post...

Selfish question, what did you do with the old bars?(can I buy them)

J

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice work and I agree with the observation on the gray engine. Not sure what you can do for that, but I am looking forward to seeing how this rebuild comes out. Thanks for sharing the pics and the experience.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know saddlebags get mixed feelings on the Hammer, but couldn't help it today...went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of hard bags for it. If I like the look of them on the bike instead of the leather bags, then I plan to paint them and mount them and sell the almost new leather bags and mounts. I think it will look good with the Kingpin front fender and the Bob Dron fairing...we will see in a few weeks. thumb up Pics to come.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the tank off today and started working on it. Took care of the dings from the previous owner of the tank. (bought it on ebay). Hoping to have the paint finished up by Wednesday and get the bike back together on Friday. Should be ready to ride next weekend. Can't wait!

All stripped down.

Dings? What dings! No dings, no more!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Keep the pics and updates coming !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Putting the final coats on the tank today, but I went ahead and started putting the front end back together. I was going to wait, but I figured a few spoiler pics are due. Thanks for all the support so far guys. Here are a couple pics of the front end with the Bob Dron fairing and the Kingpin fender.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Looking good , fairing and KP fender look great so far , cant wait to see it with the tank on !thumb up

1 - 20 of 27 Posts