Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were there any issues with the 2005 Kingpin lineup? I am looking at one that will be a weekend cruiser in the desert and it's a nice one. Also, does the 5-speed do well at 70-80?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had an 04 Kingpin (5 speed) and found that at 70-80 you wanted to shift into a higher gear but obviously there wasn't one. I ended up putting on an overdrive pulley and at 70-80 the rpms were down 350-400 (as best as I could tell). It definitely helped but you had to pay attention starting off from a dead stop. You had to keep your revs up a bit or risk stalling.

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
I routinely ride my 04 at 70-80 with no problem at all. I would even ride it that way all day if necessary without worrying about stressing the engine.

What a lot of folks don't quite get about the 03 and newer Victory engines is that they are made to run at higher rpm's than say, an HD, so they don't even break a sweat running at 3000-3300 rpm all day long. Think of the Ducati in line V twin. They can run hard at high rpm's just fine. They are more temperamental though.

If you do most your riding at high speeds then maybe the overdrive pulley would be right for you but I would at least ride it the way it was designed for a while first.

Is that 6th gear handy? Of course but it isn't necessary on the 03-05 Vic's with the bullet proof Freedom motor. You won't find a better motor in the entire history of the Victory motors. They are that good.

My 04 shifts way smoother than my 2011 with the 6 speed for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I had 58,000 miles on my 05 Pin when I sold it. Here in Phoenix if your not running 70-80 you will get run over. It was fine. I do like the 6th gear on my XR, but don't really need it under 65 or 70.
I liked the transmission better on the 05. It was quieter . The only thing I didn't like was when the oil got dirty it was hard to find neutral. But
I got used to that and learned to shift before I came to a stop into neutral and that helped. And the 05 was bullet proof in my opinion.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had an 04 Vegas. The only problem I had was lookin for 6th.But that bike ran awesome.Think it had more pep than my 06 pin.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an '05 Kingpin and commute at +/-75mph on the SoCal freeways. Yes, I want a higher gear, but I don't really need one. It's more than happy to run at 80+ two up without a hiccup. 1-up it freakin' flies!
Minuses for the '05:
No 6th gear
Hard to get neutral (a quick rev helps)
Pluses for the '05
Passenger floorboards
The under-rated V92 freedom engine (it's more powerful than you might think)
Heel-Toe shifter (not a big deal- until you get used to it)
Brembo brakes (later years shifted to cheaper house-branded brakes)
The stage 1 slip-ons (dropped on later years) were one of the only factory "perfomance" exhausts to perform better than stock.
Cool ROUND headlight.

In conclusion, if you get the '05 you will definitely NOT regret it.

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
I rode my 04 on a hundred mile plus ride the other day and about half of it was at 80-85 mph. Just hummed along just fine. I would not hesitate to go touring on this bike. It rides nice and is solid. Definitely a keeper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the inputs. I've decided to get something newer with the 106/6 setup. Now I have to decide between which model! (First world problems...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts