Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there's a well known cable extension kit I can pick up to add my 12" FBM apes to my 2005 Vegas 8 Ball? I assume I will need to extend the cables; unless anyone else has done this on a similar year and model and used the stock cables?

This is what I'll be putting on:

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=122318140299&t=1486278419000&tid=10&category=178007&seller=feedmybabbies&excSoj=1&excTrk=1&lsite=100&ittenable=false&domain=ebay.com&descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

And Help/Suggestions/Guidance would be great! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
They may use the stock cables and wiring. I'd contact FMB directly to be sure.

They look a lot like the stock Highball bars to my eye. Nice looking bars either way.

At $290 they seem to be priced fairly by today's pricing which always blows my mind. Bars like this would have been under $100 in the day and probably under $80.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an inquiry into them right now - will let you know what they say.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Received word back from Fmb Choppers.. they're saying that usually with the 12" I can use my stock cables. They suggested if too tight I can follow the cables back and clip a few tie downs to get some extra. After I get the bars I'll dig in and see; will report back with what I end up finding and picks of the Vegas with 12" Apes.

Thanks everyone

·
13,262 Posts
cover the gas tank with a good thick blanket. Dents are not fun

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice Johnny - I may be taking the tank off too.. cold down here this week and likely next few too.. I may use this opportunity to clean the TB out.. so I can get the tank safely tucked away on a comfy bench before I dig in.

Another update I got from FMB choppers is that in some cases you can order cable kits from Burly Cables or from Victory you can request plus 2 or plus 4 inch cables.. I wasn't sure the cost so I asked Paulie to see if he had some quotes on those.

Stay warm all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The boogaboo isn't usually the cables.. it's the brake line. When I extended the bars on my son's 01 V92 I had to get new brake lines done for it. PITA.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did message KevinX on this about a week ago and he told me I'd likely have to get longer cables. I have the new bars on and the tank off so I can see how things are routed, looking at any spare cable length I might be able to grab and it does not look like it would work; looks like Kevin's right again; are we suprised. I'll be poking around to find a good deal for a cable and wiring kit; if any of you have recently done this or remember who you might have used send the info my way.. not sure if I'll go with plus 2 or plus 4 - haven't decided yet if I want to try and fish the wires through the handlebars; first glance it looks like it may be a bitch to do so but the thought of hiding them and cleaning up the look may cause me to try.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update - after further re-routing of cables I was able to get all but the front brake line back on the new bars; mind you none of them are routed through the handlebars but my plan is to do this eventually. I had to order a longer brake line from Spiegler Performance Parts (had to call them to order one for my 05 vegas since it's too old to have what I need on their website.) This was no problem at all, spoke with Brian Hart and he was very down to earth, helpful and professional... I most certainly cont to purchase the rest of my wires through them as I decide I was to continue routing them all through the bars.

·
13,262 Posts
Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes sense and I might not have thought of that so I thank you for the guidance.

Should be getting my new front brake line tomorrow.

Any tips/tricks/advice/guidance on changing/swapping a front brake line out?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Makes sense and I might not have thought of that so I thank you for the guidance.

Should be getting my new front brake line tomorrow.

Any tips/tricks/advice/guidance on changing/swapping a front brake line out?

Thanks
Dont get brake fluid on your paintwork!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good advice brutha from down unda.

I have always heard that but have never suffered the misfortune of having it happen. Luckily on this project I've removed the tank, Side pieces and seat, and also front fender. Unless I have a complete whipping fight with my front brake line I should be okay to not get it on my rear fender; if I do get it way over there then I deserve to suffer. Hopefully I'll have some time to work on things tomorrow. When it's all done I'll post a pic of the new bars.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Good advice brutha from down unda.

I have always heard that but have never suffered the misfortune of having it happen. Luckily on this project I've removed the tank, Side pieces and seat, and also front fender. Unless I have a complete whipping fight with my front brake line I should be okay to not get it on my rear fender; if I do get it way over there then I deserve to suffer. Hopefully I'll have some time to work on things tomorrow. When it's all done I'll post a pic of the new bars.
Talkin bars I was just at my mates workshop in Burleigh namely Burleigh Bars,
Showing off the XS650 Special that Im riding till my Vegas is all back together and fixed .
They has some wicked 2" stainless bars hanging outside cooling, I shoulda got a pic of them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the bike back together with the 12" FMB Chopper Mini Apes on. Waiting for it to warm up over the next few days so I can take her out for a proper spin.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanted to revisit the post. I ended up not liking the feel of the mini apes so I cont working with FMB Choppers and they designed me exactly what I wanted. Custom 4" straight rise with 2" pull back. I think it gives the bike a more aggressive look and really suits it. Don't get me wrong, I thought the apes looked cool too and they were also a very high quality product.. but after test driving I chose to go with these.

Both from "FMB Choppers" - Great company - Class Act.

Attachments

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Big difference between the two bars but the important thing is to find what YOU like. :)

These bars coupled with what you have already done with the bike gives it a nice aggressive stance. I like it. Did you trim the rear fender yourself? What kind of LED turn signals are those? MBW? Interesting heel/toe shifter to say the least and the angled floorboards are different. Most people go with the Kuryakyn foot pegs with heel rest. I really like them. It's like having floorboards.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone eliminate the Cheese Wedges without putting something there in its place like you did. It gives the bike a more minimalistic look. The key switch relocation looks good too.

I'm going to be installing some Ness Flybars on my KP soon. I just want to get the forks on the XC rebuilt first in case I run into some issue so I don't have both bikes down at the same time. I wish we could run our license plates on the side like that but they changed the law 5 years or so ago so now we can't. I think it's ignorant but people with trailers and other things (some bikes too) were abusing it by making it impossible to read.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback BBob. The rear fender is indeed trimmed, and the cheese wedge removed and key relocated but It wasn't me that did it; previous/first owner. He also put on the floorboards and shifter... I've got my eye on some nicer controls

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/accutronix-forward-control-kit-for-victory

and will likely be the last major purchase for this bike; since it's an older bike and I've already dumped around $2500 into it on modifications. The turn signals I'm honestly not sure; if MBW is a common choice it's likely that since they appear very similar to other Vic's I've seen that have them.

It's a fun ride for sure and head turner.. Can't lie though... I've got my eyes on Indian Dark Horse Springfield for the future... Who knows maybe I'll keep the Vegas too.

Have a good night

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Those are really nice shifter, brake, and foot pegs in a nice kit but if you want to save money you could go with the Kury pegs or just regular pegs and cut the heel part of the heel toe shifter and call it a day.

These are Kury pegs with heel rest I like.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/429/iso-peg-stirrups

Another option:

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts