Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm going to go look at a 2005 Victory Hammer 100/6 tomorrow. I haven't been able to see it in person yet but the dealer told me over the phone that its running a bit rough. He didn't go into much detail but I assume he means its misfiring. He offered to take $500 off the price to cover whatever work it may need.

The bike has around 8,700miles on it. My question is if anyone knows of any common problems with this year/model that may be causing the bike to "run rough". I'm very mechanically inclined, so if there is anything I should check or look for first, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would consider changing the plugs, possibly the wires as well. If it has sat, it could have bad gas and possibly need a good fuel system clean.

Does it have any aftermarket mods such as a fuel controller, intake, exhaust, etc?

I had an '05 Hammer I sold back in April and pretty much did a full rebuild on it.

Kinda interested to see where this one is located as well. Mine had a little over 8k miles on it when I sold it. :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike looks completely stock from the pictures(stock exhaust at least). It's at a consignment dealership in Lakewood, CO.

As long as its not blowing blue smoke, I'm fairly confident that it won't cost too much to fix haha.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I can almost guarantee it just needs the throttle bodies cleaned , these models are notorious for dirty butterflies , causing rough idling, stalling , and lack of power , simple procedure to clean too . Also , check the battery cables and make sure they are clean and tight , this will cause issues too . Good luck .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You can more then likely do this yourself , many videos on the topic on youtube . Check out Witchdoctor videos , he has a pretty good one . You can see it on his website too , buywitdoctors.comcheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
My money says it has been started briefly several times just to "hear what she sounds like". Vics do NOT like to be started then put back in the stable without a good run.

The start up procedure dumps extra fuel into the cylinders which if not burned out completely will build up and foul the plugs, causing misfire.

The plugs can be cleaned before starting, or if they will let you test ride it you can just run the pi$$ out of it and it will probably clear up.

Mags also has a point about the TBs, but the symptom for that is usually more subtle.
Cleaning them will make a night and day difference, like seeing someone occasionally and then noticing they lost\gained a lot of weight.

The only other thing I can think of about the 05 Hammer is some had tranny problems. This was the first Vic to get the 100\6 engine and there were a few bugs, some of them were fixed under warranty. Might be a good idea to copy the VIN and ask a Vic dealer to see if anything has been done to the bike.

The other steel frame bikes got the 100\6 in 2006.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks rocketo,

I forgot the dealer said it does clear up after a bit of riding so you're probably correct on that.

Since it's a consignment dealership my options for me/them wrenching on it before buying are pretty low. Like I said, as long as its not burning oil it shouldn't be too serious. Hopefully all goes well and I'll be posting pictures of it on here tomorrow.

·
12,970 Posts
Take the 500 hundred bucks and ask for 20% off any parts you might need

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Low miles for a ten yr old bike!
Needs to be ridden.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Vics do NOT like to be started then put back in the stable without a good run.
Good Luck.
I'll sign up for that as well. The ecu commands a rich mixture for the 1st 900 revolutions of the crank if memory serves so a dealer (that has zero knowledge of this) will fire it for 10 seconds and kill it. Possibly multiple times. Result=fouled plugs.

Its not the throttle bodies. Not at 8700, nor would it run rough then run good when warmed up. All the TB cleaning does is raise the idle a bit. Has negligible bearing on over-all runnability of the motorcycle. Every 10K is adequate (border line overkill) for tb cleaning. IMHO and experience.

The Hammer is a fine bike. One of the best handling muscle cruisers out there. And better handling than much of Victory's line. There is decent after-market support on that model as well. I'd be worried about Polaris for parts availability more than anything else as the motorcycle is 10 years old.

Also, keep in mind the resale value is not good on older Victory motorcycles.....if that matters at all to you. Dont pay too much for it if it is.

Cheers, cheers

·
Registered
117 Posts
The vic shop posted a video on this last week Great video on common problems with these bikes It walks you thru basic trouble shooting for new vic owners I suck with computers or I would post a link

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
be aware the tyres could be ten years old too, Id be checking date codes on em, fresh fuel, fresh oil and filter, then ride the wheels off it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
be aware the tyres could be ten years old too, Id be checking date codes on em, fresh fuel, fresh oil and filter, then ride the wheels off it!
.....yup, and maybe plugs just for good measure. Probably all it needs, if it even needs that. More than anything it needs a rider ! thumb up

·
12,970 Posts
jbasile

in your signature you have a harley and a vstar

but no victory

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
With the bike being so old you have to think about the rubber parts like the intake (throttle body adaptor), fuel lines, vacuum caps, frame grommets, tires, hoses... basically all the rubber on it is suspect on a 10-11 year old bike. Over time the rubber gets hard and loses its flexibility. Once things get shaking and moving... cracking occurs.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
With the bike being so old you have to think about the rubber parts like the intake (throttle body adaptor), fuel lines, vacuum caps, frame grommets, tires, hoses... basically all the rubber on it is suspect on a 10-11 year old bike. Over time the rubber gets hard and loses its flexibility. Once things get shaking and moving... cracking occurs.
All very good stuff right there. Can also pretty much figure it's gonna need a fuel pump rebuild in the very near future. 8500 miles means it's been sitting around with a tank full of ethanol for long periods of time.

BTW HELLO JB......BEEN A LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about what JB's sig says. He was riding Vics when there were less then 2000 of them registered in the entire country, and his purple thunder KP was legend

·
Registered
120 Posts
All very good stuff right there. Can also pretty much figure it's gonna need a fuel pump rebuild in the very near future. 8500 miles means it's been sitting around with a tank full of ethanol for long periods of time.

BTW HELLO JB......BEEN A LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about what JB's sig says. He was riding Vics when there were less then 2000 of them registered in the entire country, and his purple thunder KP was legend
Right back atcha Kevin !! Hope your new shop has so much work you cant keep up with it all. A nice problem to have. I may pull up on the Ultra one day. Get some minor work done, like, maybe, a Freedon engine. Like I said, just minor work. Lol !

My sign is still up, and....there is an old V92C on the block up here with just 28K on it. Me thinkin hard ! The old Vics were my favorite.

cheers cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts