Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
What happened?
the dealer i was working with started backpeddaling on taking the CrossRoads in as a trade in and then called me a day later to say he sold it... so the XR is up on Craigslist... still waiting to be told that the new speedometers that are supposed to be back in stock in October is gonna be pushed out until some time next year.. already heard that same bullshit for it earlier this year when i tried to buy a new one and was told it was on backorder until July... July has come and gone and now its October... And when October comes, I am sure it will be February of next year.... so either someone buys it outright or I set it on fire... But I rode the Touring and the Roadster that was a little out of my price range and have to say that I was sporting serious wood... even detuned, the Touring is a beast!

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
the dealer i was working with started backpeddaling on taking the CrossRoads in as a trade in and then called me a day later to say he sold it... so the XR is up on Craigslist... still waiting to be told that the new speedometers that are supposed to be back in stock in October is gonna be pushed out until some time next year.. already heard that same bullshit for it earlier this year when i tried to buy a new one and was told it was on backorder until July... July has come and gone and now its October... And when October comes, I am sure it will be February of next year.... so either someone buys it outright or I set it on fire... But I rode the Touring and the Roadster that was a little out of my price range and have to say that I was sporting serious wood... even detuned, the Touring is a beast!
Attention @Motorbikerx. This is what I was talking about. Parts are becoming hard to impossible to find. Like I said, it's not terrible yet, but it will get worse of course. For those like this person; it's a freaking nightmare of frustration.

I'm selling my KP soon. Or rather I'll be putting it on the market soon. Not very many getting sold in my region. I'm just not riding it enough to keep it. I'm hanging on to the XC though.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
get a used speedo...dont they have businesses that strip damaged bikes and sell tbe parts?
ebay? ... speedos not essential anyway
Never had none of that crap on my 750/4 bobber

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Attention @Motorbikerx. This is what I was talking about. Parts are becoming hard to impossible to find. Like I said, it's not terrible yet, but it will get worse of course. For those like this person; it's a freaking nightmare of frustration.

I'm selling my KP soon. Or rather I'll be putting it on the market soon. Not very many getting sold in my region. I'm just not riding it enough to keep it. I'm hanging on to the XC though.
For sure took the shine off my Cross Country, I dread the day I have to replace one of the many hard to find parts.

Reactions: BBob

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Such bullsh!t!!! That's how they treat loyal customers. FU Polaris.

The Rocket's are a beast!!!

Reactions: rainman123

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
You all are making me even more glad I had to give up two wheels for a contemporary three. I got caught in some very thick and slow traffic today and didn't have to put my feet down and my left hand only had to work a paddle shifter. I'm loving my Spyder more with every ride.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I don't know Ricz, still not enough to make me want to go from a motorcycle to a roadster just yet.

·
Registered
539 Posts
get a used speedo...dont they have businesses that strip damaged bikes and sell tbe parts?
ebay? ... speedos not essential anyway
Never had none of that crap on my 750/4 bobber

good luck finding one for the 2010 Cross Roads. they used that speedo on one and only one bike - the 2010 Cross Roads. you can't even use an aftermarket one like Dakota Digital because of the CANBUS being locked down... Only thing i can do is half ass it with some cheap piece of crap that uses a front wheel speed sensor or gps sensor and then you lose all the other crap from the speedo - low fuel, oil pressure, high beams, etc....

If you contact Polaris, the only response you will get is to contact VDO gauges... If you contact VDO, they will tell you there are hundreds of them available and that they can't actually repair the speedo they build and sell.. But they can give you the name of several authorized repair places... all who will tell you that it would be cheaper to buy new, if they will even do the repair at all... one place in Cali that i called told me it would be between $400 and $500 depending on how much they had to do to the speedometer... if passenger grab rails are unicorn parts, then a speedo for a 2010 Cross Roads is the bloody holy grail...

I have called so many salvage yards its not even funny.... and called any and all distributors I can find that have Victory parts even on their website.. **** i even cracked the thing open myself in the hopes of being able to try the repair that was posted on my thread eons ago that they do on calculators and you don't have any access to the ribbon to the LCD screen...

if someone has any other suggestions i am open to them....

Attachments

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
I don't know Ricz, still not enough to make me want to go from a motorcycle to a roadster just yet.
Do it while you can. I rode 2 wheels from 1952 until recently, when that became difficult. That happens in most lives and thank goodness there's a viable alternative out there. So stay on 2 wheels while you are able. I hope you'll be able at least as long as I was- 67 years.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
:eek:eek:eek:eek That's the other thing, when you can find the part, it's usually super expensive. If this were new I'd expect to pay less than $200 but used they're getting $324 now. I imagine that will only go up.

Sorry about the rant and bitching but it's frustrating.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
:eek:eek:eek:eek That's the other thing, when you can find the part, it's usually super expensive. If this were new I'd expect to pay less than $200 but used they're getting $324 now. I imagine that will only go up.

Sorry about the rant and bitching but it's frustrating.

...but I you try to sell the entire bike you won't get jack for it.

Reactions: TNXR and BBob

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
i already have an email into them. they don't show pictures of it powered up. if its got missing segments off the lcd, then its not worth even 1/10th of what they are asking... but you're not kidding... the price gouging is bloody insane....
as for banggood pieces and parts, goes for pretty much the cheap stuff on ebay as well, you can prolly add it and maybe get them to work with the front wheel speed sensor or the gps unit, but you lose everything that is communicated over the network, so engine codes, low fuel light, neutral, temp, etc... its the same problem you have if you try to go to dakota digital, and at least with them, you can program the miles into the speedo on the first use.. that is whats gonna kill the resale right now on the XR, because a brand new speedo puts the miles at 0000000, the title automatically gets branded as "Salvage - True Mileage Unknown (TMU)", so the easiest way to deal with it, find some shady POS to steal it out of the garage and destroy it, drive it into the river, or "accidentally puncture the gas line while changing the air filter" so that it drips petrol onto a hot engine and wait for it to catch fire.... hmmm decisions decisions.... anyone in the central NY area wanna make a quick $500?? :devil:devil:devil:devil

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
My curiosity got the better of me so I looked it up. $234 new. Of course; that's if they were still available. That price is more in line of what I would consider normal. Funny how anything associated with motorcycles and boats are so much more expensive than cars.

https://www.victoryparts.net/oemparts/p/victory/3280507/asm-speedo-nap-english

Hold on to your handlebars; it's going to be a bumpy ride.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My curiosity got the better of me so I looked it up. $234 new. Of course; that's if they were still available. That price is more in line of what I would consider normal. Funny how anything associated with motorcycles and boats are so much more expensive than cars.

https://www.victoryparts.net/oemparts/p/victory/3280507/asm-speedo-nap-english

Hold on to your handlebars; it's going to be a bumpy ride.
yep, on backorder till October.. but when i called in April they said it was on backorder until July....

but if you think that is lunacy, check out the seller's response for that speedo... so over $300 for a part that may or may not work and could have the same problems?
seriously?!?!?! WTFF?

sorry for the thread-hijack

Attachments

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
If I was in your position I would take a chance on it.
Try and get some sort of guarantee that it'll work of course.
What choice do you have?

·
Registered
539 Posts
If I was in your position I would take a chance on it.
Try and get some sort of guarantee that it'll work of course.
What choice do you have?
yep already did..... and lost..... :crying
the lcd is shot just like the one on mine now... tis prolly why the cross roads was crashed in the first place. lol only way to get some $$ back out of it. so yep, its going back... already contacted them and they sent the return label...

anyone know any shady people who might want to make $500..... :devil

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
.........and now back to the Rocket 3 Classic.

My new ignition switch should be in Thursday so the R3 will finally be back on the road. Mine has the old style
ignition and the new one has plugs to convert it to the new style.

I've added a new intake and have a tune ready to load as soon as it's alive again.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Pulled the back wheel yesterday on my KP to replace the 11 yo Harley tire with a Shinko. I didn't realize it was such a pain to pull the rear wheel on these. Turns out the brake pads were down to a dime's thickness so the timing was good. I guess I'll swap out the front pads too.

Baby's gonna have new shoes and new pads. Front tire was replace recently too. I doubt the Shinko's get the same mileage as the previous tires.

Next on the docket; going back to the homemade Atom bomb mufflers on the XC and a handle bar change. Gonna try the Victory brand apes.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts