Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 vegas with 30k miles, changed to T6 and now I have about 250 miles on the oil and the bike does not wanna go into 2nd and any other gears, I have to double clutch it and crack the throttle 2-3 times for it to switch gears. Doesn't grind nor slip but it's like pulling teeth to get it to even shift, fade N and when up shifting seems I'm stuck in the same gear until it finally shifts, clutch was adjusted properly , so do I switch back to the victory oil? Purchased the bike used so as far as what oil was used before I believe it was victory thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Your post is a little confusing. So did the shifting improve when you switched back to Victory brand oil? I would check the clutch adjustment one more time and maybe change the oil again. If that don't fix it then you have a clutch problem, not an oil problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt switch back to the victory oil yet, I was thinking about switching back and seeing if that helped any or seeing if the problem continued

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Where is that thread of that "star washer replacement" maybe that is a angle of approach ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the shifter arm that goes on the shaft out of the primary that connects the linkage, I had a broke bolt, it is possible its not lifting all the way up, I ordered victory oil change kit to, ill try both, it could be the shifter ratchet I keep hearing and reading stories about them going to, I can get all them parts for about $110 but I'd rather not spend it if I dont have to

·
Registered
49 Posts
Make sure that the clutch cable has plenty of free play. Check the service manual for your bike and it must be cold so let it set over night before adjusting it. Cannot be adjusted when it is hot. Sorry but I always wanted to be the first to say that. It is the standard first advice when anyone has clutch or shifting problems.

·
13,003 Posts
I don't see how in hell that the oil would cause hard shifting. Oil is a lubricant and has nothing to with gears meshing. Find one victory gurue that will say its the oil BS,
If you have proper clutch adjustment and still can't shift then you'll have to pull the primary. 19zippy88 where do you live

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Make sure that the clutch cable has plenty of free play. Check the service manual for your bike and it must be cold so let it set over night before adjusting it. Cannot be adjusted when it is hot. Sorry but I always wanted to be the first to say that. It is the standard first advice when anyone has clutch or shifting problems.
Why can't you adjust it hot?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looked at the cable from both ends zero wear or issues, I greased everything up adjusted clutch cold as well as grease the linkage just now, bike seems to shift slightly better but I am still having a miss gear issue, clutch pulled in coming to a rolling stop it slightly wants to keep chugging and going. Once stopped and the throttle is cracked it does not wanna creep

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Re the clutch adjustment: When you have been riding and the engine is fully warmed, check the exposed cable down at the pivot. It should have SOME slop, but not a lot. If there is a lot, take up some of that slack for a greater clutch disengagement. It sounds to me like there isn't enough disengagement.
Another thing I find that helps with shifting is lower the shift lever so that when you slip your foot under it, virtually all the slack has been taken up. Then preload the shifter with your foot prior to the next shift.
Pull back and forth on the shifter ratchet shaft. Does it move about 1/4"? That's too much and need to have the washer placed on it per another thread.
Check out these 3 things and report back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shifter was adjusted how you stated I did that yesterday actually, clutch was adjusted again when warm with the same results, as soon as I let out the clutch it wants to leap forward now, basically zero play with the clutch, the bike still has a false 2nd and up through the gears, I have to pull the clutch in upshift (wont go into gear) let the clutch out, pull it back in and it will go into gear, it's annoying me now honestly, was fine a few days ago and now this headache

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's honestly hard to even take it on a ride and check this stuff, I have to take 2 mins to find 2nd gear by that time the traffic is a mile long and I have to pull over, some RPM range it will shift okie doke, it seems to be hit or miss honestly, no strange trans sounds I mean it all sounds legit I really hope its primary side of things and not internal

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
You need to have play when the clutch lever is at rest, not when it is pulled in. The lever should have some slop between when it is fully released and when it starts to pull the cable. It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold. You have too much slop.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
You need to have play when the clutch lever is at rest, not when it is pulled in. The lever should have some slop between when it is fully released and when it starts to pull the cable. It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold. You have too much slop.
That could be it, if he has too much freeplay (slob) then it is difficult to shift ... Never thought about that, good one

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The lever has some slop at rest, I adjusted it and seemed to be fine on the primary side as the witch doctor showed what was fine and what wasn't, each time I ride the bike it gets progressively worse and worse, if the lever has slop but no slop down by the primary then what?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The lever has some slop at rest, I adjusted it and seemed to be fine on the primary side as the witch doctor showed what was fine and what wasn't, each time I ride the bike it gets progressively worse and worse, if the lever has slop but no slop down by the primary then what?
Because what you have at the primary is shorter than the lever it will appear to have less play there. You said it gets worse quickly. Is your clutch slipping badly? Engine races but bike doesn't go?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mate I would doubt that what you're describing is caused by running a different oil.

If the problem has only surfaced in the last few miles then go back and have a look at what you've last changed/adjusted or played with.

...I replaced the shifter arm that goes on the shaft out of the primary that connects the linkage, I had a broke bolt, it is possible its not lifting all the way up...
This looks like a prime candidate for a bit of closer scrutiny and would certainly be the first place I'd be looking. Did this shifting problem seem to appear after you'd done the above repair job?

If so, then I'd be ensuring that the shifter arm is not binding on the case somewhere as you're trying to up shift. Check for clearance as it moves all the way through its arc when up or down shifting. Also check that you didn't somehow push the arm too far onto the shaft, causing the arm to bind against the shaft seal or primary case.

Once you're satisfied that all is okay in this area, then I'd go back and have another look at your clutch adjustment. You mentioned that it was 'chugging' forward even with the clutch pulled in. That suggests to me that your clutch is not disengaging sufficiently and is dragging. Take some more freeplay out of it as others have suggested and see how that goes.

Please let us know the outcome once you've had time to have a look at it.

Cheers,

Russ

1 - 20 of 35 Posts