Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

2006 vegas Knocking bad

6K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  kevinx 
#1 ·
I took the bike out lastnight and everything was fine started her this morning and took off for work I pulled in only 8 miles later and the engine was knocking so bad it was unbelievable I just put plugs and a fresh oil change any ideas?

#11 ·
When the bike is at operating temperature the oil is the same viscosity. the first number representst he viscosity at room temperatures.

Did you adjust the belt drive recently. I would check the belt tension if it is too tight it could be jumping a tooth and it will create a funny clunking noise.

Good luck.

Brad

#14 ·
BradT ..... don't you mean if its too loose, ?
No I meant too tight, but I said it wrong earlier. Jumping a tooth is normally too loose, worn belt or gears.

Last year on a road trip to PA a friend on a 900 Vulcan had the belt too tight and it started a noise. The noise was like a snapping sound from the front pulley.
The noise was there driving, rolling it forward or reverse.
Funny thing was that it started about 500 miles after the service and the temp rose to mid 90's.
Brought it to a dealer he lossened the belt and noise went away.

Only a suggestion, I always try to remember, try the simple things first.

Brad

#19 ·
Knocking

So I brought my bike in and it was the bolts on the flywheel that was making the bad knocking noise Unbelievable only 6000 miles on it and they wouldnt cover it at all and also the dealer where I brought from was running a 92 cube program in the computer so it cost 741.00 dollars to have them fix that and the right download and it get better I just had in dyno at the local harley shop and its all over the place the air fuel mixture lean rich lean can anybody tune these I am so disgusted with polaris I parked it and am riding harley for now and does anybody know what the torque and horsepower should be on it?

#27 ·
I am having a similar problem with my 2004 V92TC. My knocking is more of a popping or clanking. It is not steady, but intermittent. Usually one, maybe two times, every now and them. Usually under load, but not necessarily accelerating. The engine sounds healthy, never misses, and both engine and bike speed never skip, always smooth. Does this sound like your problem. I am thinking about taking it in, but I might tackle this myself. I'm in somewhat of a situation though, since I am going to the Sturgis pre-rally. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So I brought my bike in and it was the bolts on the flywheel that was making the bad knocking noise Unbelievable only 6000 miles on it and they wouldnt cover it at all and also the dealer where I brought from was running a 92 cube program in the computer so it cost 741.00 dollars to have them fix that and the right download and it get better I just had in dyno at the local harley shop and its all over the place the air fuel mixture lean rich lean can anybody tune these I am so disgusted with polaris I parked it and am riding harley for now and does anybody know what the torque and horsepower should be on it?

#20 ·
Is your bike under warranty? Did you buy it used? If the bike is under warranty it should be covered. If you bought it used with no warranty then buyer beware.

Sounds like your dealer is lazy or just crappy. The biggest con of Victory is the dealer network.

That being said, get your bike to a good dealer and get the correct download and have the TPS reset.

Where are you located? Maybe Kevin or someone can recommend a better tech.

#21 ·
No its not under warranty And I bought it brand new in 2007 from my local dealer In Southern Minnesota Which is the first dealer to put the wrong download in it and was running way to rich like 20 miles to the gallon so I brought it to the twin cities Minneapolis St Paul area and they are the ones who did the last repair on it The flywheel and download and then I just had it dyno at the harley and WOW

#28 ·
Where to start.......
88/101 is pretty strong if you have a stock intake with K&N filter plus vented cover

Have you looked this bike over for a fuel controller of some type?? I often use a 92" map as a base with a cotroler because it has a more agressive timing curve, and a stronger low/mid

With a Vic map if the A/F is all over the place; there is something else going on.

If you care to. You can scan a copy, and email me at kevinx@bellsouth.net I can then tell you what I think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.