Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I pulled the Vic out of the garage from the winter and decided to clean her up and give her a proper inspection before I start riding her again. After checking the pre-ride and yearly inspection I took it for a 30 mile ride to the diner and back. Upon decel I am noticing a more pronounced popping/ burbling and it even backfired a few times on decel. Maybe I have the dreaded intake leaks these bikes have???
-where can I buy the gaskets/ caps/ and rubber parts to replace the TB parts???
-anyone had a similar experience and what caused it??

BTW I have a k/n filter, rpw big slash pipe, and the hammer drag pipe map

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Could be you developed an exhaust leak either in a joint or your flange gaskets at the head . This will cause popping / backfiring .

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I suggest you also check the vacuum hose rubber connections under the gas tank and the rubber manifold to throttle body adapter. The rubber components tend to dry rot and crack after just a few years due to the heat from the engine. I had to replace those items on my Jackpot when it was 4 years old. The exhaust gaskets at the heads might be dried out and cracked too. All those parts are inexpensive too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I checked the rubber caps on the side of the throttle body and wrapped them with electrical tape to make absolutely sure and it behaved the same.... Maybe the rubber manifold you are referring to is an issue?? Are you talking about the two pipe/ adapter/ manifold under the throttle body that goes into the cylinder?

Any suggestions on a way to determine the exhaust flange gasket is leaking?

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
I would run a couple tanks of gas through it then decide after all it has your storage gas in it.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Slave,
Yes, that's the rubber adapter I was referring too. On my Jackpot the metal plate that is molded into the rubber at the top of the adapter came loose allowing the entire throttle body unit to kinda flop around. This created a vacuum leak.

The other area to check is the IAC rubber fittings located behind the right side cheese wedge. The rubber couplings on the plastic vacuum lines and "T" fitting seem to dry rot potentially leaking air as well.

Gas may be an issue as Vindex pointed out. I've noticed that running ethanol gas makes the popping/backfires more frequent on my bike. The non-ethanol gas seems to work much better and slightly improves fuel mileage too.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts