Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

2007 Jackpot starting issue

10K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  NOEMTZ 
#1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I had a real difficult time starting my Jackpot, it was like it wasn't getting gas or the gas was bad. The starter would fire up the bike and run for about 5-10 seconds then die (even when throttle was given) after about 20 minutes of this it would run a little longer and I finally got it to keep running by playing with the throttle. I took it out and ran it for about 5 miles and really got on it to see if it was just bad gas or??

Side note it did stall on me a couple times at lights when I tried to accelerate.

Refueled & took it home, fired it up after 30 minutes and it was fine.
Went out this last weekend to ride and it acted as it did before.

any ideas? fuel pump maybe or something else?

thanks for your suggestions

#3 ·
DO you warm your bike up? Do you use the fast idle? These are critical in the starting of your bike.

I hope you don't start it up and start cracking the throttle. Our bikes start up in a lean state to warm up. If you are cracking the throttle too soon that is detrimental to your engine.

Also what is the RPM of your engine at idle? Too often people adjust the idle low so they can get that thump thump sound. NOT GOOD! It should idle at about 1000rpms

Your warm up RPM should be about 1100 - 1200rpm for about 1 minute when starting cold.

#4 ·
Hey Diamond, no I don't crack the throttle. it has always in the past started easily with the choke on. I let it idle for 5-10 minutes be for taking off. I live in AZ so cold hasn't been the problem.

It doesn't get to the stage of being able to check idle it won't idle it is like it gets the initial gas burst then no more and dies

I have not been able to get it to stay running since the initial problem

#6 ·
Old school here, I will refer fast idle as fast idle not choke.

I do not have a tach on the bike so I have not checked the idle. Prior to this issue idle was never a problem. No adjustments have been made.
I have about 13k miles on the bike.

My reference to cold weather was made because I know the weather does effect how easily a bike will start.

When I did get the bike running a few weeks ago it did only after the engine "warmed" up a bit from repeating the starting process for about 20 minutes.

thanks for your assistance

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry if I sounded like I was busting your chops. I wasn't.

Since you have used the fast idle with no problems in the past. As advised by 07 Ace try cleaning your throttle bodies and if that doesn't work take it to a Vic mechanic to have the idle checked. The third possibility is the fuel filters. The fourth is the fuel pump.

You made a comment that the "starter" would fire up. Are you by chance refering to the fuel pump primer? When you hit the kill switch to the on position you should hear the fuel pump priming. Also I will check and see but I know that the 06 Jackpots had a service bulletin to replace the clip on the fuel pump. I'll see if that extended to the 07's.

#10 ·
Update for everyone....

I took my bike to the local Victory store last week and they ran diagnostics.
The conclusion was that the fuel pump is bad it has low fuel pressure. So they are ordering a new fuel pump and about $700 later I will be back on the road.

I assume these pumps are not rebuild-able... anyone know for sure?

Thanks for the advise everyone and Merry Christmas!!

#18 ·
Contact these folks. Pump is sold as pump, and seperate regulator. You re-use your filters, and the whole thing will run you under $175 for parts. For the seals, and o-rings tell your dealer to look up the recall kit for 06 JP, or 02 CC fule pump retainer clip[$35+-]
VE Petersens number is 1-800-537-6212. Part numbers are.. Pump # is F20000-107 and regulator is 135-15..(Both Walbro #'s)

#19 ·
Now this is some REAL VALUABLE INFO!!!!!! Thanks Kevin!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.