Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Kingpin in for a new front tire and when I picked it up the service guy told me that when the mechanic went to take the wheel off he noticed the fork was cracked below the pinch bolt. He then proceeded to take the wheel off and replace the tire. My bike has 8,600 miles on it and has never been down, I can't figure out how this could have cracked without over tightening the pinch bolts. Any input on this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Subscribed and very interested ....

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
No scuffs so I would bet that it is maintenance induced.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Ouch. Looks like it might have gotten over-tightened at some point.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Geeze Id think the cheesy Allen bolt wouldve chewed out before allowing that! ....severely overtightened would be my guess but at 8600 its probably never been touched...just as well you got 1 more holding it ....errr what if some klutz tried to undo the main axle nut without slackening the pinch bolt? Reckon thatd do it?

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Whouw ... Good clear picture .... Do you have warranty ? If not like VJ said ... Online find a fork for repairs ...

Edit .... Oeps it's a kingpin ... So no more warranty ....

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Try Paulie at Honda East. Or eBay.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Kingpins have USD. Forks though dont they? This looks like a standard type fork leg to me.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If you can't find another reasonable take it to a good machine shop. IF the metal is fine they will send it out to be welded or do it in house, then re machine it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you can't find another reasonable take it to a good machine shop. IF the metal is fine they will send it out to be welded or do it in house, then re machine it.
I agree with this.

Did your mechanic use an impact to tighten the dam thing? I would think you would of noticed something like that if it was always there. Sorry you are in this situation. I hated taking forks apart on my other bikes.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Is the inside of the crack clean?Or does it look like dirt and road grime have worked in there over time. I would say that is an over tightening issue. Possibly the mechanic who installed the tire.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Here's a shot of the crack
Have seen that failure before. The mechanic started working after Vic went to the single sided axel. He loosened the pinch bolts on the right side, and then when the axel wouldn't budge. He took extreme measures. In my customers case; it was a 3 foot piece of pipe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts