Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first victory, its a 2008 Kingpin and I'm in need of a little advice. I've had the bike for about a month. When I got the bike I noticed it didn't start right up, it took a few extra revolutions for the bike to fire up. After a few weeks of riding (800 Miles-ish) I went to start it and it just turns over.

things I've checked and done
*Spark plugs
- not wet.. assuming not getting fuel
*took the Air filter out to see if that was dirty
- looks fine
*removed tank.... noticed when I unclipped the hose from the fuel rail, it started poring out.
-Videos and forums all say it should only drip a little when you unclip it
-since it was poring out i let it drain the fuel out hit the key a few times to see if fuel pump did anything and it did push fuel out faster.

Before I go any further Id like some advice, fuel pump is working and it never hesitated when i rode it, just on start up. However I am no mechanic just know enough to get myself in trouble. If anyone has had a similar issue or advice Id appreciate the input

·
Premium Member
15,793 Posts
That's a tough one. I would start with the basics like we don't suspect anything in particular but want to isolate the system causing the issue. We know we need compression, fuel, and spark. I think we can rule out compression and timing so that leaves fuel and spark.

Pull both plugs then carefully with a rubber handle pliers hold the plug against the bare metal of the head. Do it to the other one. You should see spark. Might be hard to see in bright sunlight.

If that looks good try spraying some starter fluid into the intake to see if it tries to start. Might want to pull the air filter first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a tough one. I would start with the basics like we don't suspect anything in particular but want to isolate the system causing the issue. We know we need compression, fuel, and spark. I think we can rule out compression and timing so that leaves fuel and spark.

Pull both plugs then carefully with a rubber handle pliers hold the plug against the bare metal of the head. Do it to the other one. You should see spark. Might be hard to see in bright sunlight.

If that looks good try spraying some starter fluid into the intake to see if it tries to start. Might want to pull the air filter first.
I have checked spark, I chose the the shock the **** out yourself method.. but I definitely have spark. Ill try to hit it with some starting fluid tomorrow

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yea pull the air filter so it has a better chance of getting to throttle plates. With tank connected to injector rail and plugged in do you hear a hum for a few seconds after turning on the key? That should be the pump running. But just because it runs, dont mean its got enough pressure. But its a start. Probably would run short burst. Pressure on the 106 is supposed to be like 50 psi.

Reactions: clint_cook and BBob

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
First guess on any running problem is the battery. Check the voltage across the battery while you try and start it. If it's too low it will turn over but not start. If it's below 9.6 put it on a good charger. If it stays low, change it.

Fuel pressure has already been mentioned but run some injector cleaner through the tank.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My croos bike has been not idle correctly. New IAC check all the lines connection etc. Tested battery on our high dollar charge systems tester. Battery good volts but "health" bad change battery. New battery installed, ran tester on it last week. It still says change battery health bad. But if voltage goes below a certain threshold on start whick may be that 9v the electrical stuff dont like that.

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
10 big wheel XR, 16 big wheel Magnum X1, 13 big wheel Vision
478 Posts
check fuel pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts