• newer

Votes: 2 100.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help, would like opinions:
Always wanted a Vision or Cross country ever since I tried them at Americade.
Knowing that in another 5 years Victory may or may not supply parts anymore and service might be spotty to find, I hesitate on year/cost.

Found a few Visions in my area (within 3 hours of Kingston, On)
one is a 08 with 60km for $6500,
a 2010(with reverse) with about the same km for $8500,
And a couple 2012-14 with 35km ish in the $10-$12 thousand range.

My question:
Even though I know there has been improvements over the years(tranny in 2011 for example) and also that they all might be worth "zip" in 5 years, is it worth paying more for newer one or should I just buy the 08 and drive...
What do you all think?

thanx

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I know nothing about the Visions so my recommendations ONLY apply to the XC or XCT. Do not get anything older than 2012. I have not priced 2012 XCT bikes lately but I would guess they are less than $8000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know nothing about the Visions so my recommendations ONLY apply to the XC or XCT. Do not get anything older than 2012. I have not priced 2012 XCT bikes lately but I would guess they are less than $8000.
What is an XC, XCT ? AND WHY NOT BEFORE 2012?
thanx

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
What is an XC, XCT ? AND WHY NOT BEFORE 2012?
thanx
XC Cross Country, XCT Cross Country Tourer. The XCT has a trunk and lowers. Buy 2012 and newer because they have more stuff on them. The 2010 and 2011 was in the developing stages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XC Cross Country, XCT Cross Country Tourer. The XCT has a trunk and lowers. Buy 2012 and newer because they have more stuff on them. The 2010 and 2011 was in the developing stages.
The resale value of all of them(Visions and XC) will be pretty dismal in 5 years.
So is it worth paying thousands more for newer? Is there enough improvements between 08 and 14 to be worth it ?
$6500 sounds a lot better than $11000 if all I get is an improved tranny.
I am retired and money is limited. Plan to keep it for a long time if I can keep it on the road.
I have a Kawasaki VN2000 I bought new in 2005. Its getting a bit heavy for my bad knees and arthritis. I remember the Vision being a lot easier to handle at slow speed.
Plus I like all the convenience, and my girl likes the idea of an adjustable windshield(she likes it tall, I dont)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The resale value of all of them(Visions and XC) will be pretty dismal in 5 years.
So is it worth paying thousands more for newer? Is there enough improvements between 08 and 14 to be worth it ?
$6500 sounds a lot better than $11000 if all I get is an improved tranny.
I am retired and money is limited. Plan to keep it for a long time if I can keep it on the road.
I have a Kawasaki VN2000 I bought new in 2005. Its getting a bit heavy for my bad knees and arthritis. I remember the Vision being a lot easier to handle at slow speed.
Plus I like all the convenience, and my girl likes the idea of an adjustable windshield(she likes it tall, I dont)
I don't know about the visions I've never rode one and I don't know anyone with one, I have a 2010 Vic got it with 37000 kms on it have 120000 on it now never spent anything other then gas, oil, tires, and fork seals. Get on and ride they're a totally awesome bike.

Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not sure where the "value loss in 5" is coming from but tell it long enough and loud enough I guess some people will believe it. I personally wouldn't consider the 08 becasue well, it's an 08 and that's the cutoff year for tuning or having to use a scab over. Minor point if you don't want to get it tuned better but hey. I personally would get the newest of them just because it's well, newest. I've been riding a '13 since well, '13 and have had little to no issues. (Had a (starter) sprag gear break in protest to being trailed but hey (All 106s if no other size can "kick back" if you let off cranking it without it starting. Apparently holding the throttle open a little will minimize if not eliminate this problem). Worst of it is you set/ride a Vision ALL the other Victory bikes (I have a Highball as well and it's "fun" to ride but no where near as comfortable) will leave you flat. It's that comfortable and different.... ;-) LMYR

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,770 Posts
If you care about parts go with newer. The parts from the early years will continue to vanish outside of used parts dealers. Polaris still stocks parts for everything that was currently in production when they closed. Not for older years that were in the development stages as it was put above. They might have parts for some in a warehouse but they won't forever.

Does any of that matter? Not really. A 2010 bike still will have plenty of life left in it. Go with the bike that looks/sounds/feels the best to you. Maintenance records? That helps show it's been taken care of and not going to turn into a project for you.

2008 is a downgrade. From what I've read online the early versions had a lot of stuff improved in later years. Not owning one I can't say if it really matters much. iPod connector was different and other stuff in those years. Plenty still on the road though.

You are really in the wrong time of year to buy. 2012 and later brought the tour models to cross country. Happy with mine. Those sell for $8-9k online.

Expand your search area and you can save a lot. Nothing wrong with trailering it home from out of state or better yet flying out and riding home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts