Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2010 kingpin and Iove it, only problem is the guy who owned it before me had stage1 pipes and took the baffles out. The bike sounds amazing but 100 cubic inches straight piped is a little to loud. I was gonna put new baffles in but there's this weird bolt I can't find any info on. It's a hex head bolt with some kind of pin in the middle. Is the pin supposed to spring in? Did the other owner put this in?
Eyebrow Eye Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim

·
Administrator
2,746 Posts
That looks like what is called a security Allen bolt. It is designed to prevent someone without the special security Allen wrench to turn the bolt. Your easiest solution is to buy a set of security Allen wrenches. Unfortunately, you will likely have to buy both Metric and SAE since you do not know which the bolt is. Alternatively, you can use a Dremel with some fine bits and grind down the center post to allow the use of a normal Allen Wrench. I find the use of a security bolt on a motorcycle to be quite unusual.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
On a car it would be a "security torx" But is defiantly a allen, so security Allen would be a good description. Now what we would do is take a small pin punch or center punch and knock the center part out. It should come out if you strike it from the side bottom. Maybe even a small chisel if you have one that small. Knock center pin out and a metric allen will fit. Everything on a Victory is metric. Other option is cut a slot in it with a Dremel and use a screwdriver.

·
Administrator
2,746 Posts
I agree that most (maybe all) of the fasteners on a Victory are Metric. However, is this security Allen bolt a stock part? It might be but I have never seen a security bolt (Allen, torx, etc.) on a Victory bike.... or any other bike for that matter. If it is an aftermarket part/bolt, it could be Metric or it could be SAE.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A pure guess here would be because it is "emissions" related they used that type of fastener to hamper someone messing with the exhaust. What is it doing in exhaust? Holding muffler on? Baffles in a pipe? Cat converter maybe? My experience is aftermarket stuff for the most part when made for a bike say exhaust for your bike is going to use same type fasteners IE metric or if a inch sized sae.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to get back to this sooner. It was a just a security bolt, I got a whole set of security bits from harbor freight for a whopping $11. I put 4-stroke fiberglass batting in the baffles which quieted the bike and made it sound angrier, which is nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts