Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this fourm this is my first post. I just sold my GL 1200 Goldwing. I really liked the bike but now I am looking to get a Victory Vision ( I think). Tell me how good are they on gas MPG, The first oil change .... how much $$$, what it the matnaince scedule ? I hope it is not like harley every 5000 miles birng it in to lose $$$$ how many miles can I expect to get on the Dunlop tires ? How doses the plastic look on the Vision ? I am also thinking about the cross roads. Oh yes how is the power on the Vision ? Oil change can you run any motorcycle oil or dose it have to be Victory ? and how much a quart $$$ and last but not least is the video of the drop test correct ? It wont tip over all the way ?
Thanks
Dusty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vision

Hi Dusty sounds to me like $ is a big concern. A vision is perfect for the guy who hates to spend $ on maintenence. It is very easy to work on as well. I just changed my own oil and filter, I used full synthetic Mobil 1. It took me about 15 minutes (most of that time waiting for the oil to drain). and cost me $65.00 for the oil and filter. Im good for another 4500 miles. I own an 07 Harley Street Glide. Try having a harley dealer change your oil for less than $150.00 using synthetic. There is a guy on youtube that does an oil change on video. The video is 4 minutes long I think. the only time he stops the camera is when oil is draining or pouring. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
the vision has plenty of power, especialy 2 up. as far as the plastic (fiberglass) you either hate it or love it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't care for the look, that being said i rode one the last time that i had my oil changed at the dealership (which was rudiculously long) that being said they let me take out a vision to keep me occupied, i've rode all the harleys, yammahas and hondas and the vision was just ridiculous compared to the rest, the ride, the power, the sound system, everything i found to be quite awesome. even compared to the Harley. i'd say if you want to be comfortable on your cruise and have a pile of power to boot, VISION

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Luka be careful using FULL synthetic. Remember our bikes are not like HD's. We have a wet clutch the motor and tranny share the same oil. If you start getting clutch slip change it out to the Vic oil or Rotella T.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Luka be careful using FULL synthetic. Remember our bikes are not like HD's. We have a wet clutch the motor and tranny share the same oil. If you start getting clutch slip change it out to the Vic oil or Rotella T.
So it is not good to use full synthetic oil ? The reason I ask is because I live a long way from the nearest dealer. So I am hoping to buy motorcycle oil here locail like at Honda or at Yamaha etc....
Also Wallmart has motorcycle oil and Auto Zone has motorcycle oil etc...
Thanks
Dusty

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I do know a couple of people that have not had issues with Mobil one but the majority started having clutch slippage.

If you are having a hard time getting Vic oil then there is Rotella T, 5w-30 that you can buy at wal-mart. You can also buy Vic oil change kits kits on ebay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been using Amsoil in my Vics for over 100,000 miles combined with no problems. Just don't use any oil with additives like Teflon that can cause your clutch to slip. If you want solid info on Amsoil and Vics go to Roadkill's Digest and read all his oil analysis posts instead of believing what others have read from their brother''s mother's sister's uncle..........
Also Amsoil is a true full syn not like most others that are dino based so it's cheaper. You can thank some paid off(lobbyist) Federal judge for that decision.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Just to clarify. The comments I made about other peoples clutch slippage is based off of MY customers and fellow riders that put it in themselves or had someone talk them into it using other brands of oil.

The ONLY and I mean the ONLY oil that I've seen not cause slippage is the Victory Oil.

Reading Roadkills comments on Amsoil is exactly what you are saying NOT to do, "instead of believing what others have read from their brother''s mother's sister's uncle.........."

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use the Victory oil untill 500 miles, then I use amsoil after the first oil change. Just make sure you use the amsoil made for motorcycles, it is formulated for use with a wet clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most of the time when you are speaking about slippage in your clutch due to oil it is because you are using energy conserving oil. As long as you look on the circle on the oil bottle and it DOES NOT say energy conserving, you can usually use whatever oil you deem worth for your scoot. I am a believer in the full syn myself. Just stay away from the energy conserving oils.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have always used manufacture oil.That way if there is problem they can not blame me for the problem for not using there oil.I think the oil is little high,but that is just part of owning bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's true!

The tip over test is very correct. I have a 2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium. I was used to moving my HD FXR around my garage effortlessly, when I first tried to move my Vision (standing on the kickstand side) it got away from me and thats all she wrote! No worries Mate! it stopped on the two tip points built into the front footboards and the rear frame rail. It didn't even bounce or wobble. I just walked around and stood it back up!.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts