Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my new x country.Got to ride in the rain the other day,changed lanes and crossed the tar strip and wow scared the poop outta me,tires slide when they hit the tar strip.Is it the e 3's or is it just the narrower tires than I'm used to.Never had any problems with Avons.The bike has 1,400 miles on it so the tires should be broken in...:cool:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Love my new x country.Got to ride in the rain the other day,changed lanes and crossed the tar strip and wow scared the poop outta me,tires slide when they hit the tar strip.Is it the e 3's or is it just the narrower tires than I'm used to.Never had any problems with Avons.The bike has 1,400 miles on it so the tires should be broken in...:cool:
It was probably the tar strip and not related to your tires at all. Was this particular one larger/wider than others you are using as reference? Is it possible that this was a "new" strip and therefore may have had more oil than others you've encountered in the past, etc...

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Tar strips, water, and rubber simply don't mix. These E3s are very impressive tires IMO. In the dry you can deck the boards all day long without nary a squirm. I've ridden them thru twisties in a down pour and found them to be consistent with good sport touring tires. For a cruiser tire, they are exceptional.

I did a track day once at a place up in Michigan that was loaded with tar strip patches and it started pouring rain about halfway thru the day. At first the constant twitching was very unnerving, but after a while of slipping around without falling, my confidence grew to where I could get around pretty quick without white knuckles. Practice or not, sliding out a tad unexpectedly on the road is still pulse raising experience.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tar strips, water, and rubber simply don't mix. These E3s are very impressive tires IMO. In the dry you can deck the boards all day long without nary a squirm. I've ridden them thru twisties in a down pour and found them to be consistent with good sport touring tires. For a cruiser tire, they are exceptional.

I did a track day once at a place up in Michigan that was loaded with tar strip patches and it started pouring rain about halfway thru the day. At first the constant twitching was very unnerving, but after a while of slipping around without falling, my confidence grew to where I could get around pretty quick without white knuckles. Practice or not, sliding out a tad unexpectedly on the road is still pulse raising experience.

same here - up in colorado - seemed to get used to it after a while - then suddenly not again...this was on honda-metz....which were fatter than my e3....i am on my second set of e3s now (vic) and they are great....

·
13,038 Posts
Yes the 3's have done the same to me. With so much smoothness on the center of the tire there is no grabbing.
The 3's are smooth so the bike will role with less effort.
Next year Ill need a new front and it will "not" be a elite 3

·
Registered
372 Posts
Tar strips, water, and rubber simply don't mix. These E3s are very impressive tires IMO. In the dry you can deck the boards all day long without nary a squirm. I've ridden them thru twisties in a down pour and found them to be consistent with good sport touring tires. For a cruiser tire, they are exceptional
Glad you think so, IMO I think they're terrible. I know when I go to replace these it won't be with more of the same. The E2's I had on my Vegas were way better for traction. I hear the X bike tires are the same size as a Goldwing and there's a Bridgestone the Winger's really like. I might have to snoop and check that out. E3's = :eek: !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts