Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I recently purchased a 2011 XR with 11k miles, traded my 2010 sportster in so it was a huge upgrade. The bike has been shifting fine for about a week now but recently it has become a pain to downshift. I have to apply A LOT of pressure to get the bike to engage the lower gear. Also I've been having a problem missing second! The bike goes right into neutral. Now I've called the dealer and they say lub the shifter pedal which I did. I also readjusted the clutch cable because it was tighter than factory spec. Still the problem persist with these changes. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
Hi Sam,
How many miles on the engine oil and what oil are you running ??

If you did not change the oil, then a solution could be to buy a victory oil & filter and just change the oil ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike was serviced at the dealership at 11.4k miles. The bike currently has 11.6k. I've checked the oil. It is full, doesn't look dark..

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
Ok whouw, you should go back and let the mechanic ride your bike ?

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
Ps
I never heard of lubricating the shifter pedal ....

Cleaning dirt out the bushings yes,

Are you sure the clutch is adjusted correctly ? When i got my bike new the clutch was set incorrect from the factory .... Do you have a workshop manual ?? You can download it from this site members ...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Hello everyone
I recently purchased a 2011 XR with 11k miles, traded my 2010 sportster in so it was a huge upgrade. The bike has been shifting fine for about a week now but recently it has become a pain to downshift. I have to apply A LOT of pressure to get the bike to engage the lower gear. Also I've been having a problem missing second! The bike goes right into neutral. Now I've called the dealer and they say lub the shifter pedal which I did. I also readjusted the clutch cable because it was tighter than factory spec. Still the problem persist with these changes. Any ideas on what could be the problem?
A couple of things. These may not be related to your problem, but just in case:

1) You know about the neutral-assist feature on these bikes, right? If you're stopped or slow, going up from first gets you into neutral, no fiddling around required. If you try to shift into second, as you get going, and you're going to slowly, it will just go into neutral... as if you were stopped.

I think the cut-off is something like 5 MPH, so my point here is: make sure that you don't try to shift into second too soon. You want to be at least 10 MPH. Don't forget that the Vic engine can be revved up more than the typical HD engine, so don't baby it. Vics may not have all the torque at the bottom, the way HDs do.

2) I had trouble downshifting the first few weeks I got my XCT in 2012. Often, the bike didn't want to shift down when I was attempting to go through several gears at once, holding in the clutch coming to a stop light, for instance.

I discovered that, for me, the problem was that I wasn't letting the shift pedal come up high enough on its return stroke. That is, that upward stroke, in between gears, was higher/longer than I was used to on other bikes. So the solution to that problem, in my case, was to make sure I raised my toes/foot higher up, in between pushing the shifter down again for the next lower gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ps
I never heard of lubricating the shifter pedal ....

Cleaning dirt out the bushings yes,

Are you sure the clutch is adjusted correctly ? When i got my bike new the clutch was set incorrect from the factory .... Do you have a workshop manual ?? You can download it from this site members ...
I cleaned the dirt out of the bushing and out some wtr on the bolt to smooth things out. I used the free owners manual to get the correct spec for the clutch cable. I'm not in the business of buying that shop manual yet haha too much $$

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple of things. These may not be related to your problem, but just in case:

1) You know about the neutral-assist feature on these bikes, right? If you're stopped or slow, going up from first gets you into neutral, no fiddling around required. If you try to shift into second, as you get going, and you're going to slowly, it will just go into neutral... as if you were stopped.

I think the cut-off is something like 5 MPH, so my point here is: make sure that you don't try to shift into second too soon. You want to be at least 10 MPH. Don't forget that the Vic engine can be revved up more than the typical HD engine, so don't baby it. Vics may not have all the torque at the bottom, the way HDs do.

2) I had trouble downshifting the first few weeks I got my XCT in 2012. Often, the bike didn't want to shift down when I was attempting to go through several gears at once, holding in the clutch coming to a stop light, for instance.

I discovered that, for me, the problem was that I wasn't letting the shift pedal come up high enough on its return stroke. That is, that upward stroke, in between gears, was higher/longer than I was used to on other bikes. So the solution to that problem, in my case, was to make sure I raised my toes/foot higher up, in between pushing the shifter down again for the next lower gear.
Thank you for explaining the neutral assist feature! I'm going to keep an eye out on my mph before shifting into second. I think I'm still shifting pass 10mph but I'll keep a tab of at what speed this problem occurs at. It's strange when this happens cause it will go into neutral and will not up shift till I either rev it high in neutral or downshift and try again. Scary when you have cars behind you that don't care!

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Yeah Vics require a 'technique' in shifting gears nicely, precisely, smoothly, consistently.
Keep an open mind.
Absorb all the tips.
Then get on it and ride.
Ride it hard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clean and lube all the connecting points for the shifter and shifter rod. This fixes this issue most the time. It's an easy thing to forget during routine maintenance.
Is there a specific grease needed? I used some WTR from work..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btw is there a way to get the service/shop manual for free or a low price online somewhere? I see victory wants $150 for one..

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
Is there a specific grease needed? I used some WTR from work..
Any grease will do but many swear by the white lithium grease.

Check my sig line to download a free service or parts manual closest to what you have. If it isn't there I don't have have it (yet).

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
I lube the joints on my shifter every time I change the oil at 5000mile (8000kms) I use my left over chain lube now I don't have a chain driven bike.
The clutch cable ends I clean and lube every half oil change as well, so every 2500mile, I rather overservice them as its a quick easy job and gives peace of mind.
Most of our Vics are very similar in both groups, steel frame cruiser and ally spine tourer. So a free manual thats close will generally suffice. I use Bbobs 2012 Vegas manual for most stuff on my 2010 Vegas, for instance.
I used to have stubborn shifts and some gear jump out 2 years ago when I first switched to my Victory.
But with practice and using the techniques suggested on this forum, as well as fastidious maintenance and using a superior oil, I now have zero problems shifting gears :)

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Yeah Vics require a 'technique' in shifting gears nicely, precisely, smoothly, consistently.
Keep an open mind.
Absorb all the tips.
Then get on it and ride.
Ride it hard.
I am on my 4th VIctory. They all shifted rough at times. I am curently riding a 2011 XC. I replaced the shifter bushings with brass bushings. I got from Witch Doctors. It helped a lot. There is definitely a technique to shifting a Victory. It's more in the down shift and good clean oil helps significantly. 12 years experience on a Victory.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Mine shifts rough from time to time. It's usually right after I change my oil.

I have never experienced the neutral assist though. I can be coasting at 3 and my bike will still shift up into second.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 99 and 04 Vics (especially the 04 Pin) shifted fine. It could be you just arent used to it yet.. You switched over from a Harley I think you said, and it seems the HD's are a tad smoother shifting than the Vics. You've got to work hard to miss a gear on the HD, the Vics...not so much. Yer bike is probably fine. Ride her and become acclimated. You wont miss gears anymore. Shake off the Harley shifting technique....and shift her like you mean it. All good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! So far I've been shifting the bike better than before. Does take a little getting use to from switch from a Harley but I think I am getting the hang of it! I love the cross roads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts