Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the afternoon of April 17th, I went for a half hour ride and didn't get home until 10 days later.

An oncoming car decided to make a left turn with me in the way and the picture shows the results of that.

I was out immediately but I think I landed on the hood and bounced to the road. I was wearing all my gear. Helmet, boots, gloves, armored denim jacket and pants, so all I got was two broken wrists and a broken foot. No other scrapes or cuts. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here now if I wasn't wearing my gear.

Progressive totaled the bike and I can't say enough good about this company.

They gave me a check for the retail value of the 2011 Vegas, 8 Ball, stock bike.

They gave me a check for the retail value of all the things I added aftermarket (like exhaust, backrest, etc.) plus the 6% PA sales tax.

And they gave me a check for replacement value of all my destroyed riding gear; i.e., armored jacket, my new HJC helmet, boots, etc. and the sales tax.

I'm hoping that in eight weeks I'll be healed and riding my Cross Country.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad it wasn't worse. An old fella tried to take me out the same way last Sun afternoon, but speeds were slow enough I was able to swing around his passenger side. He was kind enough to shrug though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did the person that turned infront of you atleast visit you in the hospital and appologize for their stupidity?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
On the afternoon of April 17th, I went for a half hour ride and didn't get home until 10 days later.

An oncoming car decided to make a left turn with me in the way and the picture shows the results of that.

I was out immediately but I think I landed on the hood and bounced to the road. I was wearing all my gear. Helmet, boots, gloves, armored denim jacket and pants, so all I got was two broken wrists and a broken foot. No other scrapes or cuts. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here now if I wasn't wearing my gear.

Progressive totaled the bike and I can't say enough good about this company.

They gave me a check for the retail value of the 2011 Vegas, 8 Ball, stock bike.

They gave me a check for the retail value of all the things I added aftermarket (like exhaust, backrest, etc.) plus the 6% PA sales tax.

And they gave me a check for replacement value of all my destroyed riding gear; i.e., armored jacket, my new HJC helmet, boots, etc. and the sales tax.

I'm hoping that in eight weeks I'll be healed and riding my Cross Country.
Sorry to hear about your accident, and am very glad to hear you've made it alive. Wishing you quick healing. Also, good feedback on Progressive. Glad to hear Flo kept her end of the bargain.

P.S.: I moved your post as it deserves its own thread.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I was out immediately but I think I landed on the hood and bounced to the road. I was wearing all my gear. Helmet, boots, gloves, armored denim jacket and pants, so all I got was two broken wrists and a broken foot.
Your post is a testament to intelligence. Heal well and sue the dumb bastard for everything he's ever acquired.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
No one apologizes anymore or visits. That would be taking responsibility for hurting someone. Lawyers won't let that happen

Glad to hear your mending. Very well written get well soon

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Heal quickly, get back in the saddle, and be glad the insurance company didn't add insult to injury!

Flo was good to me too, they paid over $11k to fix my XR last year plus gave me a check to cover gear that was more dusty than damaged.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Glad to hear you got out of it with just broken bones and nothing worse. I have been riding with AGAT since I started riding 5 years ago and some of the guys I ride with would joke with me about it. Now 5 years later most of them are now wearing full face helmets and armored jackets because of some of the close calls they have had.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I took a look at the pix of that bike in better days. Pity. It was some pretty.
But machines come and go. We, on the other hand have one ticket to punch. I'm about to go off the res here, not because I disagree with the sentiments but because truth doesn't necessarily fit neatly into our convictions.

So, from what SB might call the imbecile faction of motorcycling...

On a sunny afternoon a long time ago I was tooling west on Indian School in Phoenix and the light at 19th was red for me. Cars were stopped east and west but the inside lane and left turn lane on my path was empty. As I approached the light turned green so I rolled into that open lane and as I got to the intersection I could see the guy in the Buick coming south on 19th was not going to stop for his light. I rolled left into the left turn lane trying to miss t-boning him but no good. He cut left onto Indian School at a good clip right in front of me and I had a t-bone turn into a head on.
We didn't have cameras on our hips back in the day but my recollection of the middle of that intersection is close to your pix. Car was different, old Buick and my bike didn't hammer that battlewagon like your Vegas did that newer crumple zoned rig, and the bike was a HD Low Rider but those are details. The result was similar.
I launched over the bars and his hood and the most vivid memory I have of any motorcycling event of my life remains sailing through the air at about windshield height still heading due west on Indian School. I looked to my left, or maybe my body position was such that I could count the zits on the drivers horrified faces of those eastbound cars as they sat watching me zoom by. That seemed like minutes of airtime then. The landing was not so surreal.
Point? Broken ankle (again), broken wrist (again) and a couple of good road burns on my shoulder and cheek. Except for the road rash my injuries were similar to yours.

I was wearing Levis, a tee shirt and engineer boots.

What ifs are subject to what ares.

Not denying the value of gear. It saves lives. It does not do that unequivocally. Sometimes it does not save lives. Sometimes the lack of it does not result in the worst case scenario playing out. We are not invincible because of our armor.

It massages the odds. After all, this here riding game is gambling everytime you push the button. Any way you can count the cards is a hedge, but a good hedge relies on a good count. One of the tricks is to not lull myself into what ifs or a sense of acceptance that my means and methods tip the odds in my favor. We can hedge our bets but nothing tips the odds in my favor. No matter what we do the odds always favor the house.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree with POP. Every time out the garage is a gamble on a bike. I leave with eyes wide open. Everybody tells me about some horrible wreck their friends brother in law's cousin had back in 1984 had and how his life is runied. My first cousin died on a bike back in 2002. I loved him, but he was careless and stupid. I had my crash from not paying attention in October 1977. Road rash and THE BEST EDUCATION POSSIBLE is what I got from it.

Bottom line is I believe and study the Bible and there is no verse with more truth than Ecclesiastes chapter 9 and verse 11. Not preaching--- just saying-----

Crashes are gonna happen--some ride again-some don't --some can't. You did good to tell the story. Allow me to buy you a vertual beer, my friend! cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting twist this thread took...from one guy detailing his accident and his opinion that his gear saved him from either worse injuries or death to others chiming in with their experiences of LUCK and their opinions that gear does not necessarily turn the odds in your favor. Well POP excuse me while I go off the reservation myself and say that is some kind of convoluted thinking there. I dont know in what world or with what kind of crazy physics wearing protective gear rather it be riding a Motorcycle, going to war in Iraq, as a police officer or simply weed eating your yard doesnt turn the odds of preventing death of injury in your favor! Is it guaranteed...No...nothing is but to say that because you were lucky enough to have survived a similar accident with only minor injuries makes his convictions unfounded is quite the stretch to me. My father told me a story when I was a kid of a baseball player I think it was that got into a car accident and was not wearing a seat belt. He was thrown out the driver side window of his car and landed on the median UNHARMED. The paramedics at the scene said if he had been wearing a seatbelt he likely would have been killed because the cab of his vehicle was crushed. Now does this man's extraordinary luck mean that wearing a seat belt doesnt considerably increase your odds of surviving a car accident...NO!! I believe the same is true for protective motorcycle gear. Is it a guarantee...no but the way I see it....in an unpredictable world full of horrible drivers and ever changing road conditions I want everything I can get on my side. EVERYTIME I ride whether its just down the road or across town regardless of temperature I wear my Helmet, leather armored jacket, gloves and at the very least jeans (chaps for highway riding.) Now to each his own we all determine the amount of risk we are prepared to take but I personally think it is incredible irresponsible for ANYONE to even suggest to a rider who takes comfort in his gear that his CONVICTIONS or unfounded. I have literally lost count of the number of people who have stopped to talk to me about my bike who told me the ONE time they didnt wear their jacket they dropped their bike and none of them are to shy to show me the heinous looking scars left behind after their road rash healed. Now admittedly I am new to this sport and that could contribute to my cautiousness and maybe one day if I am lucky enough to ride as long as POP has I'll grow to share his sentiments...but I hope that if that day should come I will be able to look back and remember my first shakey months on a motorcycle and remember that we are all at a different stage in this sport we love and who am I to cast doubt into the minds of riders of any skill level as to the protective nature of the gear they have chosen to wear or not. I would hate to have it on my conscience that a fellow rider decided to take his que from my story of luck...ventured out on his bike without his helmet and died in an accident that he would likely have survived had his helmet been on his head rather than sitting next to his keyboard at home. Once again just my opinion and I am sure it stinks to some!

To the OP I am very glad to hear that you are ok and will hopefully be back to doing what you love soon!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
It is true that I am getting old and my mental powers are not what they used to be, but I did not see the thread starting off that way. OP told about his crash and the great insurance. Every person posting has their own opinion on the extent they go to in order to be safe. PPE DOES help in every situation, but as every safety guru will tell you that each individual is the sole person responsible for his safety. ALMOST ALL OF MY RIDES have been with a helmet because I live in a state that requires it. If it didn't I would still use it most if not all of the time.

Bottom line is that each rider is responsible for their own actions. POP can be riding for 75 years and preach all he wants, but I am suiting up according to what I accept as "risk management". I would like to think everybody else is doing the same. (Just because some fool flys by me on I-95 at 100 mph doesn't mean I am going to join him)

There was a crash-- a rider made it thru--- it is a good day. Enjoy cheers

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Sorry about rehashing the whole thing but since I either was unclear
or as is often the case in motorcycling;
a mountain of data and a machine that disseminates that data relentlessly has so firmly impressed a groupthink on some that stepping back a few feet and looking objectively at what we do is not natural.

This is not the first time Pop has been accused of convoluted thinking. For that I say thanks. It took awhile to get to where the persuasions of others did not determine the math in my head. Owning a Victory is one result.

So to recap, I was certainly as you say lucky to survive that accident.
I believe that the OP was lucky to survive the accident he reported.
Padave surmised his having lived through a head on as likely being the result of being in protective gear. I don't doubt the value of the sentiment but it is not a fact. If it were, I would have commiserated and moved on. Instead I countered that in a similar event and absent any PPE I survived in roughly the same state. Less breaks, more rash.
Those are facts. You don't have to like or accept that this is the case. It's been shown to be difficult to be accepting of info that flies in the face of doctrine. That is not my cross to bear.

If you want to embrace that sentiment and believe that the application of kevlar and leather is going to make a critical difference in a condition that the factors of which include, steel, concrete, speed, inertia and flesh and bone then by all means drink up shriner. I say that with a pile of gear of my own. There is an intersection where the personal sense of safety and the need to ride meet and that point differs. I don't expect to influence yours.

Truth is, this is flat dangerous. I will not join you or any of the bazillions of people, orgs, businesses, gummints, trade groups, and so forth that propagate some version of a myth of invincibility that comes with sheathing ourselves against forces that far exceed their potential to prevent the inevitable. I won't advocate for a false sense of security I will advocate for understanding the true level of danger that we invite every time we wheel onto asphalt. Every time, naked or cloaked in a full kevlar body suit and airbags and steel anti-rollover cages and on and on, every time. You hop on an 800 pound rocket, a set of controlled explosions between your legs, and put yourself between the rocket, the stone, and the wheeled metal bricks.
If you understand that one piece of this way of life, if you accept it, then it may seem less important to come to the defense of a system of personal protection that doesn't need defense any more than the cops vest, the GI's uniform, or... what was another of your examples? Oh yeah, safety glasses when you run the weedwhacker.

I don't see gear as some form of salvation or the key to survival. That is a falsehood and false thinking is not Pop's notion of a survival strategy. Gear is a tool.
I check my tire pressure- tool.
I tighten bolts- tool.
Clean my windshield- tool.
Garage the bike to keep it out of the elements- tool.
I wear corrective lenses- tool.
I get enough sleep- tool.
I walk to strengthen my long suffering ankles- tool.
I learn from my mistakes- tool.
I work to increase my knowledge- tool.
I wear PPE- tool.
Any of those factors, or dozens of other factors may have contributed in varying measure to survival in a wreck. Some we have influence over, some not so much.

When I get in another wreck, because I ride a motorcycle and that means I will get in a wreck, and in the unlikely event that I manage to survive that wreck too, then I will not thank Windex or Lenscrafters or Craftsman or my PPE for my survival. I will thank my lucky stars.

How's that for convoluted?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. The doctors are happy with how I'm healing and I'm luckly enough to have a loveing wife to take care of me.

This discussion did get very interesting. It's all a matter of "acceptable risk". In the late 60's, I wore a tee shirt, shorts, and flip-flops when riding in the summer. Even had a calous on top of my big toe from shifting.
Now, I'm gear-up and feel more secure.

My main point for posting this was to tell how great Progressive was. Seldom have I read feedback about the settlement after the accident.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Did the person that turned infront of you atleast visit you in the hospital and appologize for their stupidity?
I was ran down by a 62 old man, he did not come to see me or send a card or nothing. The insurance companies do not want you to admit guilt in any way. Cruel world out there so you have to ride defensive all the time..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts