Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 2011 XC for almost a month now. Been caught in about three rain showers / storms ("sunny" south Florida :ltr:) and either during or after, the cruise control stops working. Usually it will start working again a day or two later, or go between working and not working as it deems fit. I'm going to guess (hooray for Capt. Obvious!) that moisture is getting to a connection somewhere. I don't have a service manual and the closest Victory dealer is 4+ hours away, if this is even covered under warranty. I've tried searching for info on how to fix it but didn't find anything. Anyone else had this type of issue, and if so, or if you know how to fix it, what did you do?

Going on a Iron Butt ride Labor Day time frame so I'm really hoping to have it working flawlessly by then. I'll need it!

·
Registered
679 Posts
dielectric lube on all wiring plugs works for me. If Vic has a problem area (in my opinion), it is in their wiring. If you look at the lower crankcase by the rear brake actuator, there are many exposed wiring harness connectors that are just open to any moisture and corrosion. They could have taken a lesson from Suzuki. The wiring on my C-50 is considerably better with placement and keeping the connections out of the weather.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does the cruise quit during operation (cruise drops out while in "cruise" mode), or is it that it won't come back on when you go to use it the next time?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Tell your dealer to start an "Ask Polaris" case on it. Use the description you just typed. They will then autho a new style interface module for the cruise. That will not only solve your issue, but it will establish another case towards an open service bulletin

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phideaux said:
Does the cruise quit during operation (cruise drops out while in "cruise" mode), or is it that it won't come back on when you go to use it the next time?
It won't come back on next time I try to use it. The little green cruise control symbol flashes on and then back off again when I use the power on/off button. It won't come on at all when I hit Set.

handyhoward said:
If you want to fix it properly you have to do it yourself or have someone who is qualified (the dealers are typically not trained nor qualified) do it. It involves removing the entire external system hidden behind the "cheese" wedge on the right side of the bike and weather proofing it... the whole enchilada... wires... hoses... connections. When this is done properly the system works better but still is not what one can refer to as top notch.
Guess I'll have to get some dielectric grease and go to town on all the connections I can find behind the cheese wedge.

kevinx said:
Tell your dealer to start an "Ask Polaris" case on it. Use the description you just typed. They will then autho a new style interface module for the cruise. That will not only solve your issue, but it will establish another case towards an open service bulletin.
Dealer I got the bike from is actually about 6-7 hours away. If the dielectric grease on the connections doesn't work I guess I'll have to go this route.

Thanks for the help all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip HH. I'll be doing that this weekend along with a few other little projects on the bike. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
had the same problem after going thru the worst rain storm I've ever been in. Next day the cruise wouldn't work. There is a two wire connection on the right side of the gas tank near the front. It connects at a 90 degree angle onto a cable. I think it might be the throttle cable. I pulled these wires off, blew them out and it worked fine. Need to fill the connections with the dielectric grease or seal them somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Sure... let's do Polaris's work for them. The system sucks in it's basic design, but it can be fixed. Neither the dealer network nor Polaris will fix it properly because they are directed by the fact that this is "NORMAL" for this to happen.

If you want to fix it properly you have to do it yourself or have someone who is qualified (the dealers are typically not trained nor qualified) do it. It involves removing the entire external system hidden behind the "cheese" wedge on the right side of the bike and weather proofing it... the whole enchilada... wires... hoses... connections. When this is done properly the system works better but still is not what one can refer to as top notch.
Your kidding me right?? Instead of fixing the thing correctly. With a part made to work with the varied resistance caused by moisture in the magnetic cut switch. You would rather do a half ass repair, and then have to do the same thing every year or so??? Do you really consider glopping a bunch of RTV into electrical systems proper??
You have no idea of the level of technical competence at the OP's local dealer, and your advise in this matter is not only bad. It is irresponsible
This is not a matter of doing "Polaris's job for them". Rather it is a matter of putting an engineered fix in. When this is done the whole system works without a hitch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your kidding me right?? Instead of fixing the thing correctly. With a part made to work with the varied resistance caused by moisture in the magnetic cut switch. You would rather do a half ass repair, and then have to do the same thing every year or so??? Do you really consider glopping a bunch of RTV into electrical systems proper??
You have no idea of the level of technical competence at the OP's local dealer, and your advise in this matter is not only bad. It is irresponsible
This is not a matter of doing "Polaris's job for them". Rather it is a matter of putting an engineered fix in. When this is done the whole system works without a hitch.

So if I get a dealer to open an "Ask Polaris" case they will get me a different control interface for the cruise control? I'm guessing this is a known issue then by Polaris and the different module is the fix?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
So if I get a dealer to open an "Ask Polaris" case they will get me a different control interface for the cruise control? I'm guessing this is a known issue then by Polaris and the different module is the fix?
That is correct. Done a couple of them at my store, and it i a 100% fix

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Why, if Victory realizes that they have such an issue, don't they have a formal recall??????

This goes back to my initial post. Right now it is considered a very isolated issue, and since it is not considered a safety. There is no giant motivation to loose money on a couple thousand bikes that have already been sold.
That is why I said an "Ask Polaris" case be created. The higher the DOCUMENTED instance of failure. The more likely they are to have either a recall or at least a TSB generated. Basically a case of owners helping owners

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The dealer who I bought this bike from is 500 miles away... and they want me to bring the bike in so they can "look" at it, then they have to call Polaris to "open a case", then they can fix it... after they order the module, which then takes a week to order and receive... right!!! That's not what service and bike riding is about... tell Polaris to get their collective heads out of their behinds and develop a system that is customer friendly.

If you are in the Florida Panhandle. there are several dealers much closer then 500 miles. There are three that I know of in the pan handle alone. It's not like you are in Alaska.

Not sure what you expect out of any manufacturer, but if they are going to pay for the job. You are going to have to participate with your own due diligence. Does not matter if it is Benz, HD, Ford, or Kia. It's all the same. Sounds like you may want to work on your customer skills, and you will find people doing more to help you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you are in the Florida Panhandle. there are several dealers much closer then 500 miles. There are three that I know of in the pan handle alone. It's not like you are in Alaska.

Not sure what you expect out of any manufacturer, but if they are going to pay for the job. You are going to have to participate with your own do diligence. Does not matter if it is Benz, HD, Ford, or Kia. It's all the same. Sounds like you may want to work on your customer skills, and you will find people doing more to help you.
It is easier to bitch and complain than to participate in solving the problem. As a previous boat dealer it would always amaze me that some would drive several hundred miles away to save a buck, but sure cried like a baby if they had to go out of their way for warranty (free) repairs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts