Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I posted my discovery of the "plastic" nipple that exits the fuel tank and connects to the fuel line when I broke it off installing my IPOD cable. (and removing the air filter gasket)
How do I know it's plastic? I BROKE THE %$&* THING OFF :mad:

I went to the local dealer and part was available at Polaris for $270. Paid and ordered it and it was supposed to be here today.

Well, since last week Polaris has listed the part as UNVIABLE. The best part…. Is will not be available until 23 Dec… YES 23 December!!! According to their web site.

So I’m guessing I’m now caught up in the 2012 assembly line and all parts in stock are going to the new 2012 bikes??? But come on December…Really?? :rolleyes: :mad::mad::mad:

visionjonny was nice enough to recommend Rylan Vos at the Vic Shop and I have left him a voice mail and maybe he can help …

I’m looking for any suggestions or help in either finding the part or repairing the broke piece.

I have searched several online sites and even ebay with no luck.

Andy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Elo, Idon't have a Vic yet but I do work on my MC's. If it is a screw in fitting I wonder if you could get it off and bring the pieces to an auto parts store. Maybe they have a vacuum line fitting that will fit....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the parts guy at the dealer. He was not familure with the VOR order but said he would call polaris tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Rylan Vos at the Vic Shop was not able to help with this one.

bfisher - It is molded plastic and broke off right at base. I'm pretty leary of jury rigging something with the fule line at 50 psi ontop of a hot engine... just saying...

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
Good call KevinX!

Another option is to simply take the part out of the tank and see if you can match it up with an existing part for something else. If you can find a metal one that would even be better! If you do find one that works; I hope you post the info on the part number and where you got it so others can benefit from your trials and tribulations...

PS: Word to the wise. Don't give up so easily. Do you think those who came before you and figured out another way gave up? Jus' sayin'...

Edit: looks like you have it dialed in. Cool.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Talk to Big Joe at kewlmetal.com

He posted on another forum that he uses a threaded aluminum fitting and JB Weld. He also mentioned that he's done a few with no problem and has pictures.

A different poster said he drlled out the plastic nipple and replaced it with a metal fitting. He had to remove the quick disconnect and replace I with fuel line and hose clamps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!!!

What exactly is a "VOR" order and how does it work?
A VOR is Vehicle Off Road (I did not know either) and instead of going thru the "Parts Warehouse" the request goes thru the Service/Warrantee division or at least at Polaris that’s how its working.

BBob – I was not giving up, just asking for help, suggestions and I got it from you, KevinX, and Ammo and I appreciate it ALL!!! cheers

thumb up So now the update – Just got a phone call from the parts guy at the dealer and he has figured out the VOR request and I am (as KevinX said above) paying $25 for the VOR. In addition they are sending next day air and I should have the part next Tuesday and the shipping is also at my cost but who cares!!! I’ll have it in a week instead of SIX MONTHS wac

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
A VOR is Vehicle Off Road (I did not know either) and instead of going thru the "Parts Warehouse" the request goes thru the Service/Warrantee division or at least at Polaris that’s how its working.

BBob – I was not giving up, just asking for help, suggestions and I got it from you, KevinX, and Ammo and I appreciate it ALL!!! cheers

thumb up So now the update – Just got a phone call from the parts guy at the dealer and he has figured out the VOR request and I am (as KevinX said above) paying $25 for the VOR. In addition they are sending next day air and I should have the part next Tuesday and the shipping is also at my cost but who cares!!! I’ll have it in a week instead of SIX MONTHS wac
You realy ( That includes myself ) have to appreciate this forum and how others jump in and try to help, from all different angles and perspectives. I'm glad to hear that this has all turned around for you. thumb upthumb upthumb up
"Thank You" to all those who post their problems and how they resolve them. I learn alot from this forum. cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You realy ( That includes myself ) have to appreciate this forum and how others jump in and try to help, from all different angles and perspectives. I'm glad to hear that this has all turned around for you. thumb upthumb upthumb up
"Thank You" to all those who post their problems and how they resolve them. I learn alot from this forum. cheers
Absolutly!! This Forum and the Internet are amazing resorce

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Glad to hear you got the order worked out. What I did'nt mention was the risk that comes with rigging a fix. Apparently the fuel pump has a 40 something PSI output so if your fix leaks you could end up with a pretty strong spray of gas on your engine.

I'm stupid enough to try it but I tend to over check things; I would spin the fuel pump up several times to watch for leaks then constantly watch it until I knew for sure it doesn't leak. My fear wouldn't be fire it would be getting stranded. I know if it did leak it wouldn't ignite unless I used a lighter for a flashlight or had a bad sparkplug wire.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Dude I am going though the exact same thing. Broke the fuel pump connector and was also told 6 months down time. Since reviewing this thread the dealer is now telling me they expect the part next week. Since you're ahead of me I'd be interested in hearing how things work out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Ammo, I noticed you have the midheight windshield....Did this help reduce/eliminate the buffet around 70 mph?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I don't notice buffeting at any speeds but honestly I'm not really the person to ask. I had to have 3 of the vertabrae in my neck fused which limited the movement in my neck to about 25% of what an average person has. Since my neck doesn't move much I can't say whether or not I get much buffeting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't notice buffeting at any speeds but honestly I'm not really the person to ask. I had to have 3 of the vertabrae in my neck fused which limited the movement in my neck to about 25% of what an average person has. Since my neck doesn't move much I can't say whether or not I get much buffeting.
Ouch!!! That must have hurt!!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The damage was gradual and probably wouldn't have gotten as bad as it did if the medical hobby shop would have ordered an MRI the first time I went in. Unfortunately it took 6 years of visits every couple of months that all ended up with me in physical therapy before I got an MRI.

Now I constantly tell people not to lift things they should use a forklift for and to ask for help even if the job takes longer!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dude I am going though the exact same thing. Broke the fuel pump connector and was also told 6 months down time. Since reviewing this thread the dealer is now telling me they expect the part next week. Since you're ahead of me I'd be interested in hearing how things work out.
The part is suppose to be here in area Monday, Dealer not open Monday, so earliest I can pick up is tuesday ...However, we are going camping for the week in Eastern Washington so we can enjoy some warmer tempatures and boat/jet ski so plan to pick the part up on Sat as we pass by the dealer on the way home and probably wont get to it until Sunday Night or Monday.

Good Luck and keep an eye on that fuel line wac

·
Registered
47 Posts
The part is suppose to be here in area Monday, Dealer not open Monday, so earliest I can pick up is tuesday ...However, we are going camping for the week in Eastern Washington so we can enjoy some warmer tempatures and boat/jet ski so plan to pick the part up on Sat as we pass by the dealer on the way home and probably wont get to it until Sunday Night or Monday.

Good Luck and keep an eye on that fuel line wac
You know I will. Hopefully by the time you get yours in I'll also be back on the road! Enjoy your vacation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The damage was gradual and probably wouldn't have gotten as bad as it did if the medical hobby shop would have ordered an MRI the first time I went in. Unfortunately it took 6 years of visits every couple of months that all ended up with me in physical therapy before I got an MRI.

Now I constantly tell people not to lift things they should use a forklift for and to ask for help even if the job takes longer!
I feel your pain. I too have done my time in the "medical hobby shop". I have issues but not as bad as your sound. But hey...you can still ride!!!cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on Fuel Pump

I received the fuel pump yesterday and after removing the old one from the tank I realized that VICTORY has had this happen probably more than once and probably many others are having the same problem as me….because they changed the size nipple on the bottom of the tank to be more substantial… So now that I have the fuel pump I still can’t install it because the hose connection will not fit the larger connection. So now I’m waiting again for Tuesday to come around and the dealer to be open to order another part  But hey…It’s still not December YET!!!!

Oh, and in case you wondered what the fuel float looked like i included that picture as well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts