Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings riders, I have A 2011 XR, 15,000 miles with exhaust and download. Other than the infamous pulley chirp I've not had any problems at all. On today's ride the check engine light came one a couple of times. Here are the codes:

error code 1
SPN 520193
FMI 7

error code 0
SPN 168
FMI 3

Is it possible it is battery related? I'm on my original battery, and it struggled to start me a couple of weeks ago after the bike sat about 3 weeks.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the 168 code says: System Power (battery potential/ power input) Condition: Voltage too high
Now the reason it might be high is because the battery is going bad and the voltage regulator is trying to catch up. The other code I have not been able to find yet.

There's an app you can download from the Play Store called Indian Diagnostics. Supposedly it lists the codes which are identical to Victory ( both Polaris bikes). Check your main fuse connections located next to your battery and while you're at it the battery connections to make sure they're tight.
From another Victory site.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. I guess I'm kind of relieved that its probably the battery as I suspected. That said I only have 6 weeks left of my TX riding season before I head north. Any chance I'm doing any damage to the electrical system if I run it until it goes, if it does by mid-May? I'd rather get the battery when I return in the fall.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Why not get a new battery now and put an automatic trickle charger on it until you return to it? There are parasites that are draining the battery when the bike sits. And a battery loses charge at 10% / month normally. Why cheap out not buying a $100 battery on a $8000 bike? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not get a new battery now and put an automatic trickle charger on it until you return to it? There are parasites that are draining the battery when the bike sits. And a battery loses charge at 10% / month normally. Why cheap out not buying a $100 battery on a $8000 bike? Makes no sense.
It's not cheaping out..... I'd rather buy the new battery when I return than buy one now and let it sit for 6 months, chewing up the warranty. I can put a trickle charger on the one I have if the 10% concerns you but I does start every few days when I use it. I'm just wondering if the overvoltage is causing problems. Then i would buy the battery now.

Oh and $8,000? Where would you like it delivered to?

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I just sold my 2010 XR for $8K and the buyer was ecstatic. Overvoltage can cost you the regulator too. You asked for help - I tried to help. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I just sold my 2010 XR for $8K and the buyer was ecstatic. Overvoltage can cost you the regulator too. You asked for help - I tried to help. Good luck.
I agree, bad battery before storrage is just as bad as a bad battery riding the bike ... Good info right there RICZ

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As mentioned, the low state of charge or battery with dead cell makes the regulator/alternator work harder. Also because its trying to charge essentially a dead battery it could boil over the acid and cause corrosion

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Followup, after two weeks of business travel my new battery was waiting for me when I returned. Install took all of 15 minutes including finding the correct torx driver bits and sockets.

The 85 mile ride that followed included no more codes.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MX2ORM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts